Advice for "Cheat Days"

Options
I've been doing well for a few weeks now (1200-1300 calories, eating healthier, exercising daily, lost 5 lbs). Yesterday I had my first diet "cheat day", 2 days a month I have built into my schedule where I can go out to eat.

But man.........I wolfed down a giant beer, a taco, and entire large pizza for dinner. Felt terrible afterwards and gained back most of the weight I'd lost in the last few weeks.

I like having these days, especially since I am faithful to my diet all the other days. But it's like if I give myself an inch, all my self control is gone.

How do you all use cheat days (and if not, why not)? Should I still count calories on these days, but just increase my limit for that day?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you considered eating what you want, but just in a normal portion size? I mean, I love tacos and I love pizza . . . but an entire pizza and a taco probably isn't a typical portion size for you. In my experience, it isn't the foods that I eat that make me feel terrible as much as it is the portion size.

So have a beer and a couple tacos. Or have a beer and some pizza. But you don't have to combine it all into one meal, you know?

I think this is one of the potential drawbacks of the "cheat day," that it encourages some people to fit everything into one day or meal instead of figuring out ways to make it work daily.

I'm going out to dinner tonight so I'm going to have pizza. I want to still hit my goal, so I planned my breakfast to be a little lighter and I'm going to have some salad with my pizza (because eating salad first helps me eat less pizza).
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's probably temporarily the weight gain I would say it's the sodium you probably ate during the cheat day. I still count calories on the days I eat out because it's good to know the numbers for what you're eating. I had some Chinese yesterday and wrote the calories down. It had a lot of sodium, so I wasn't surprised today I gained 0.4 calories. It should fall off within the next few days, and I eat around 1200-1300 calories as well. Don't feel discouraged :) so far I have lost 13.5 pounds eating what I want in moderation. I eat out about 2-3 times every week, but I check the calories, and have it work with my calorie allowance. And if I ever go over I plan that as well . I often jump rope for 30 minutes, or take a walk. Or if I am feeling too lazy, not eat as much the next day. The tip that has helped me with eating out is having some to go. I eat the rest the next day. So even if the item is. Thousand calories I would spread it between 2 days!
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days because I'm enjoying what I'm eating on my diet. If I feel like I want pizza, I'd rather make my own and use healthier ingredients, that way I feel good about what I've eaten and enjoyed it. If I want chocolate (which is rare for me) I'll eat a healthier option like a Nakd bar or something and count it into my daily calories and maybe exercise more that day.
  • FemmeFireRL
    FemmeFireRL Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I believe going out for a meal instead of cooking it myself is a treat. I tend to check the menu options with the MFP App before ordering to allow me to make better choices, indulge a little without blowing my entire week.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There seems to be a few different thoughts on cheat days.

Some say just avoid, because it just slows down your overall progress. Then you get the flip of that, which says spiking calories for a day can help reset metabolism.

And there are some people who just go all out, don't log, and decide to be okay with whatever the fall out is because they need the break mentally to keep going. Then those of us who log it, or at least make a good attempt to log it, because data is good.

If you plan to cheat regularly, and you don't want it to stall your weight loss, you might want to keep a weekly tally of your total calories...saving a little everyday from your budget...that you then can spend on a big weekend treat. Just think of it like money...I have X calories to spend, what can I get and stay reasonably within that budget? Even if you do go over I think it is good to know what you are doing so when the scale reacts you can better judge the input/output.

Alternately, if you don't want to make it that complicated, just eat at maintenance for your cheat day.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,049 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may be under eating at 1200-1300 calories. I'd consider revising your weight lose goals and choose a more modest goal. Eat closer to your daily energy expenditure and stay away from "cheat" days entirely. What you eat is not as important as how much you eat. Practice portion control now, 24/7/365.

You don't have to be hungry to lose weight. And if you're not hungry, you don't need to "cheat".
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Zellyrus wrote: »
    I've been doing well for a few weeks now (1200-1300 calories, eating healthier, exercising daily, lost 5 lbs). Yesterday I had my first diet "cheat day", 2 days a month I have built into my schedule where I can go out to eat.

But man.........I wolfed down a giant beer, a taco, and entire large pizza for dinner. Felt terrible afterwards and gained back most of the weight I'd lost in the last few weeks.

I like having these days, especially since I am faithful to my diet all the other days. But it's like if I give myself an inch, all my self control is gone.

How do you all use cheat days (and if not, why not)? Should I still count calories on these days, but just increase my limit for that day?

Personally, I don't have 'cheat' days. Because who, exactly, am I cheating on? Cheat days can set up an all-or-nothing mentality which, as you've seen, can be completely counter-productive to your goals, and makes the non-cheat days seem sadder somehow. It can be a recipe (pun intended!) for failure for some.

If I have a day where I overeat for whatever reason, I log it, learn from it, and move on. At least by logging it I have an accurate record of when and how things went off the rails.

For me, I find it works better if I build an anticipated night out into my overall 'budget' which then allows me to enjoy myself without feeling any 'cheating' guilt. But this budgeting is something that takes some practise to achieve, so chalk up the other night as part of the learning curve. :)

I also agree that you may be eating too little overall, which will cause you to binge because, well, you're hungry, dammit! ;) What is your height and current weight, and what have to set as your weekly loss rate?

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had one two days ago. I needed one. But I'm not in denial that it probably wiped a week of deficit for me (I have a small deficit). So I typically save those days to special occasions (holidays and birthday).

So... if your plan is to lose, it's just a bad idea. Have smaller portions within your calories instead.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    aside from holidays and birthdays, where i dont typically log any food, i dont have cheat days. i make the things i like fit into my days all the time. pizza (though im not really a fan i do have some on occasion), beer, sweets, whatever... i make room for the things i like and enjoy them regularly.

as you seem to have discovered, an unbridled cheat day can undo a lot of work, very easily ;)
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I had a bit of a piggy day last Friday, then felt rotten about it, so got my packets out of the bin and scanned them all. I new I had to track what I had eaten to be accountable for it, then when the scales go up I can look back and see why. Next time I have a piggy day, I'm going to save a few calories from the days building up to it, and plan my calories in advance. I did find that from eating rubbish that I felt physically and mentally low and it wasn't worth it. Xx
  • Zellyrus
    Zellyrus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice! I agree I definitely need more a plan for these days instead of just letting myself run wild. I think I will eat what I want, but just watch out for how much.

I really want to find that "just say no" mentality. So far it's been easy for me to diet because I am surrounding myself only with lower calorie, healthier, less processed foods. This is great, but invariably I am going to go to a party/buffet/something and I'd like to NOT be tempted into eating everything in sight.

I also agree that you may be eating too little overall, which will cause you to binge because, well, you're hungry, dammit! ;) What is your height and current weight, and what have to set as your weekly loss rate?

I'm 5'2 and 183, losing average of 1.5-2 lb a week. I've been told I should get more calories in, especially with exercise, but honestly I am rarely hungry. I eat 3 standard meals of about 300 cal each and have 3 snack times during the day where I eat something right around 100 calories.
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    One thing I am currently trying to do: on the weekends, when I know I tend mess up, I changed my settings to maintain. It was an extra 1000 calories!!! So I can eat more, I definitely feel like I'm splurging. But, I'm not undoing any of the work I've already done. Just staying put. I still log. Maybe something like that would work?
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just don't get cheat days.
    Whenever I 'cheated' (before MFP) I felt terrible.
    I don't cheat now. I log every fricken thing.
    Sometimes (only 7 times in almost 80 days of logging) I have been over the 1200 cal limit but usually not by very much... <100 cals. I will cheat later. Much later. And then I will probably not really cheat - just enjoy maintenance. Can't wait.
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hate the term "cheat day." Why does eating something you enjoy, like pizza, tacos and beer, have to be cheating? Why does eating some of my favourite foods have to carry such a negative connotation? Eat the foods you love, and eat proper portions, and you won't feel sick or awful afterwards. It can be done - trust me!
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    No cheat days for me. Stay on task. Get to my goal.
  • Sadie_j
    Sadie_j Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Advice, look into IIFYM and work these foods into your meals without it being cheating. 1200 calories? You're probably nearly starving which makes it tough to not overindulge when the food is available to you. I follow my macros during the week and on the weekends, I do my best but mostly just try to stay in my calories, even if that means three pieces of pizza and almost no protein. My suggestion is to increase your calories slowly. If your weight is still going down, increase calories 20/week or so and track, see how your body responds. If you're still losing, continue this. The goal should be to eat as much as possible and still lose weight. If you think you can eat 1200 calories every day forever, you're wrong. Losing weight is hard. Keeping it off is statistically nearly impossible because people are too restricting and can't keep that up forever.
  • Mom2Frankie
    Mom2Frankie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My most "successful cheat day" is when I eat half the amount I did before. I don't even order a large pizza. You can't over eat if it isn't in front of you. Also I eat out or at a table. Sitting on the couch in front of the TV is awful. And I eat twice as much
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This has probably already been said but personally, I don't do blowout cheat days because most days I will crave something that would be considered "cheat" like a sugary treat, usually chocolate, so I just fit those things into my daily calories. I find it easier to stay on track when I don't deny myself of something I want. The biggest thing for me though is portion control. So I want ice cream... Do I need the whole tub of ice cream? No. Will two scoops satisfy me just as much as five? Yes. So I get a bowl and measure it out rather than digging the spoon right in. I think it's quite often just the mental satisfaction of eating the craved food than the actual quantity. We have pizza once a fortnight or so, I used to quite happily eat a whole large one. I could probably still eat a whole large one but now I eat my pizza with a knife and fork on a plate (it's the same takeaway pizza but rather than using my hands). Just by cutting it up and eating it properly (and therefore slowing down), I can only manage 3 maybe 4 slices instead of 10. The only time I really worry about fitting cheat foods into my day is if I'm finding that I'm consistently going over my cal limit (maybe more than three days in a row), it's usually because my portions have sneakily got bigger again!
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I weight about the same as you and only try to lose a pound a week. I know I am going to eat more in the evening and plan for that. Last Friday I knew I was going to have pizza. I figured out how many I wanted and ate lighter during the day. I was still under my calories for the day and has a small bedtime snack. I eat what I want just not all at once or in the same day.
    I never binge eat, it will just make me feel bad.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    What's considered "cheating" depends on what the game is.

For me, the "game" is to be honest about what I eat--even when I'm not particularly happy or proud of it.

I have days when I choose to go over my calorie goal--like when I'm travelling, or a special party or Friday date night with the hubs. That's being human.

Even if it's twice (or once, 3X) my calorie goal, I log what I eat and drink. Period.

In my game , it's not "cheating" if I'm still honest with myself.