SAHM mum with twin toddlers - fitness help please!

Options
Hi everyone!

I have 19 month old twins who take A LOT of looking after (they have a general kamikaze attitude to life!). I don't drive and no gyms in my area have a crèche so that's out. My husband works long hours and by the time he's come home I'm absolutely too knackered to go out and exercise then and know it's not sustainable. Plus I actually like him and want to spend some time with him too!

So, I walk everywhere and try to do 10km a day (not 10,000 steps), which I normally manage 6 days out of 7. I also have a reasonably good treadmill at home and use that to up my steps if necessary. Failing both of those I step whilst watching TV (on one of those gym type steps).

I used to be really fit and run loads of 10kms. Since then I got diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, was on high dose steroids for over 6 months and had extreme fatigue. That combined with the weight gain from my twin pregnancy (and drinking too much wine!) left me at 264.

I have another 88lbs to go- what else can I build in? Happy to consider any suggestions. Would love to swim and lift weights but no childcare so that's out too

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First, you can always work out on weekends plus add the occasional evening in. It does not have to be all or nothing. Pick one day, nap when the toddlers nap, give them to dad when he gets home and do your workout. Same on weekends. They need to also bond without you present, so use this time to exercise.
    Second, if you are already managing a few 10 ks per week, your problem is not lack of exercise! Focus on diet changes.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm working on the diet for sure but I actually just want to get fitter again as I loved how I felt when I was superfit when I was there!
  • Physiomad
    Physiomad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing…just keep doing what you do and your goals will be achieved.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    Thank you- that's very kind!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wouldn't worry about exercise at this point and just watch your diet.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Could you afford to put your kids in childcare for a couple of mornings/afternoons a week? I'd also suggest learning to drive, if that's a possibility. It'll be limiting when they're older if you don't drive.

I've got a 20 month old, and also a 6 and 4 year old, and I work 4 days a week as a secondary school teacher, and my husband does shift work, and I still got 5 workouts in this week, so anything is possible.

It sounds like you're doing a lot of walking already, plus you have a treadmill , so I don't think you need to do much more. I'd definitely make the most of the weekends and go to the gym, or for a run, and I'm sure you could go to the gym one evening per week. I understand what it's like to be knackered (I sometimes sit up past 11pm marking, get up at 5:30, teach all day, go to the gym, get home to do dinner, bath kids etc on my own as hubby isn't home til 11pm on his late shift week.) but I really appreciate the 'me' time I get at the gym.

What's your diet like?
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am also a mom of boy/girl twin toddlers!..
    Lol For fitness I make sure that I work out very early mornings and weekends. I have a Fitbit and track my steps by and when I cannot take a walk outside or go to the gym I do "laps" around the house, do YouTube fitness videos, and body weight routines like burpees, push ups, etc. I also lift heavy weights and yoga. I have found YouTube as a great option when I'm stuck in the house and many times my children will join me in a session while their playing. I find this fun and a cool way to spend time with them and burn some calories.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If anything I'd look into adding some bodyweight resistance training like a Convict Conditioning program, or you'll lose some muscle tone along with the flab you're trying to shred. Aside from that, keep doing what you're doing for aerobic activity and handle the rest in the kitchen.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    Thanks everyone- my diet's ok I think. I'm not doing anything astonishingly exciting, just eating around 1500 calories a day, not eating back more than 50% of my exercise calories (as I don't trust the calorie burn stats) and eating much more white meat and fish than red meat. Have also cut out alcohol completely (I was definitely drinking WAY too much before). Had the traditional fab first week then a slow trickle since then but that's standard for me and I'd expect my weight loss to average out to 2/3lbs a week for the next few weeks then slow down to 2 then 1.5 then 1 as I get closer to my goal.
  • DEB1NAT0R
    DEB1NAT0R Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you ever done HIIT (High intensity interval training) workouts? I have a 1 and 2 year old, and those workouts got me back into shape quickly. They are perfect workouts for busy moms, as they range from 5-15 minutes. Don't let the short duration fool you, they are TOUGH!
  • CanderWilver
    CanderWilver Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have 2.5 year old twins. When they were around the age your twins are I would work out while they ate breakfast. I'd get dressed in my workout gear and then get them set up in their high chairs. Then I would pick a 30 minute or less video on you tube, Fitness Blender is my favourite. Many times I would have to pause the video for a minute or two to take care of them but then I'd get right back into it.

I also started running with C25K once the weather was nicer and took them in a double stroller. They loved it.

It's definitely hard trying to fit it in but so worth it. I'm happy that I'm setting a good example for my babies. Now they sometimes follow along using toy weights or doing the yoga moves or stretching that I'm doing.
  • amandadunwoody
    amandadunwoody Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender has a ton of great workouts on YouTube and you can order workout plans from their website.
  • hugzeelaroo
    hugzeelaroo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a SAHM to two boys under two. I completely understand how it feels and how it may be hard to find the time/energy to stay motivated and get some exercise in. Keep up the great work! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I find diet is the majority of the issue for losing weight. You can work on some strength training with weights (or toddlers haha) if you are wanting to build muscle. Good luck to you!
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My twins just turned one. I really have zero time for exercise so I try to lift weights when I can and simply eat right
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Maybe bench the twins?

Terrible jokes apart, if you can squeeze in a 30 minute workout during nap time, I suggest you start with circuit training. It doesn't require too much time and offers the maximum bang for the buck. Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred comprises short half-hour circuit training videos that kick your a**. And you don't need any equipment either. And like some posters above have mentioned, you can find other videos on YouTube as well.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Have you considered working out before they wake up? I know it must be tough to get sleep with such little ones. I have a 22 month old and a 4 year old, and the 22 month old still wakes up in the night asking for me every night. I have a full time job too and by the time I get home, make dinner, and get the kids to bed there is no way exercise happens.

The only way I have been able to be consistent is by waking up at 5 am and working out then. It's also some nice quiet time before they wake up. I have a treadmill and am slowly adding strength training equipment to my home gym, but there are a ton of DVD programs or YouTube programs available that you can add in.

But like PP mentioned, if you are walking 10k a day and not losing weight, you probably need to work more on the diet than the exercise :)