How bad are flour tortillas?

Options
13»

Replies

• dianamaine
    dianamaine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I just came in to say, make your own! I did it the first time last month and i seriously cannot stop making tortillas. LOL

They are SO easy, and SO much better than store bought. :sunglasses:

I am going to give it a go! I love tortillas but find that I am not always happy when I read the ingredient list in stores. I will try and make my own! Thanks!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I make oat flour tortillas, flavored up with cinnamon and ground ginger, and sometimes a touch of sugar or maple syrup. No press: I used two piece of wax paper and a rolling pin.

From grinding the 1/4 or 1/2 cup of oatmeal to sliding the tortilla on the plate takes, at most, 20 minutes; and I get to really like the process of having the dough form under my fingers, and the shape of the tortilla guided by the pin. You could adapt the process for any flour, I'm thinking, and not having pre-grind will save you about a minute.
  • helloitsmejaime
    helloitsmejaime Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I finally got used to the taste/texture of whole wheat tortillas... Not turning back now. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Flour tortillas are good. Homemade flour tortillas are even better.

I just might have to try making myself some homemade tortillas. :-)

Two words:
    Labor intensive

Lies. This is the recipe we use and it is super simple: http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/11/01/diy-flour-tortillas/

She says that took her an hour (including taking pictures.) I work from home and while that certainly is more work than opening a bag, would not consider that unreasonably labor intensive. To someone like my fiance, who does not own a food processor and has never used a rolling pin, that would indeed be too labor intensive.

I had dinner with him and his mother tonight. He does the food shopping for her. She said brownie mix was on sale for a dollar, vs the $5 he spends on pre-made brownies. He said "Too much work." I said "You open a box, dump it into a bowl, add liquid, mix and bake." He said anything past opening the box was too much work, lol.

His mother - and my mother - don't value their time. He values his time and so would rather pay more to not have to spend the time making it. My mother does not value her time, so, to my great distress, at age 78 is still getting up on a ladder to clean her gutters rather than paying her handyman's kid to do it. I value my time, but I also value food quality, so the next time we have fajitas will probably try this recipe because I know they will be far superior to store bought tortillas.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421
    Some of the best things are labor intensive. We'd miss a lot of good things if we avoided them simply bc they are labor intensive. ;-)

Oh I totally agree.
    And I don't regret the tortillas I made myself, they were delicious. :-)
  • Carlos_421
    edited January 2016
    Options

Two words:
    Labor intensive

Hmmm. Mine are the opposite. Mix flour, milk, baking powder, butter, and salt into an ear lobe soft dough (a couple minutes), rest 15 minutes under damp cloth, divide into eight and roll into balls, rest another 15 minutes under damp cloth, roll out, stretch, 35 seconds per side on a scorching hot comal on the stove.

But they do run 145 calories per tortilla. (:

Sounds like a similar process to the ones I made.
    But for a guy who's cooking prowess is largely limited to what can be done on a grill or a skillet, that's a big process. Lol
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Two words:
    Labor intensive

Lies. This is the recipe we use and it is super simple: http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/11/01/diy-flour-tortillas/

She says that took her an hour (including taking pictures.) I work from home and while that certainly is more work than opening a bag, would not consider that unreasonably labor intensive. To someone like my fiance, who does not own a food processor and has never used a rolling pin, that would indeed be too labor intensive.

I had dinner with him and his mother tonight. He does the food shopping for her. She said brownie mix was on sale for a dollar, vs the $5 he spends on pre-made brownies. He said "Too much work." I said "You open a box, dump it into a bowl, add liquid, mix and bake." He said anything past opening the box was too much work, lol.

His mother - and my mother - don't value their time. He values his time and so would rather pay more to not have to spend the time making it. My mother does not value her time, so, to my great distress, at age 78 is still getting up on a ladder to clean her gutters rather than paying her handyman's kid to do it. I value my time, but I also value food quality, so the next time we have fajitas will probably try this recipe because I know they will be far superior to store bought tortillas.

This was my situation when I attempted it. Lol
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I remember my attempts at helping mom roll out tortillas. They were misshapen freaks.
    Heck, I still suck at spreading masa on tamale leaves. :/
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I remember my attempts at helping mom roll out tortillas. They were misshapen freaks.
    Heck, I still suck at spreading masa on tamale leaves. :/

Now imagine you're in high school and your mom isn't helping but your dad is...
    Took us forever...