Questions about aerobics

Options
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone does aerobics? I want to start with it since it looks fun, and enjoying an exercise would sure make me not avoid it like I avoid some other things.

Any tips on what I should start with? I have seen videos on youtube of both something called "aerobics dance" and "step aerobics", would you say that they are equally effective?

Another thing, I have a bad posture. Is that something I should take care of before I start aerobics or any other exercise? I know that in some exercises it is important that one stands correctly, so I am wondering.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Absolutely find something that you look forward to doing! If those videos sound like fun, then go for it!

I think the idea is to find something that will get your heart rate up and get you sweating for 30 minutes a day (or total of 2 1/2 hours per week) or more.

Something important to remember, though, is that you might not be able to do everything that the people are doing in the video. So you need to be mindful of your own body and how you're feeling. If you start to get too out of breath or your heart is beating too fast, take a break, walk around slowly a little while, catch your breath. Don't sit down or you might get really sore, but take a break and then go back to the video or skip to the end of the video and do the cool down section that most videos have and just be done for the day.

Also, you might not be able to do all the moves as well as the people in the video, but modify it to make it work for you, and keep on doing the video and eventually you might be able to do it as well as they are.

Your posture will probably improve as your fitness level improves, but again be mindful of it while you're working out. If you're doing something that hurts, see if it's because of your posture or just because you're not used to the moves and your muscles are working in ways that they're not used to working.

Personally, I'd start with the aerobics dance videos, but that's because I have troubles with my knees and step aerobics usually involve stepping up onto something elevated and it makes my knees hurt. But watch the video through all the way once without actually doing the exercise and see if it looks like something that you'll be able to do and find fun doing (and that the instructor not too annoying, which is a problem I sometimes have). And then go back and try to do the steps, too.

I do the Yoga Booty Ballet series. My sister sent them to me, and I really enjoy those. But find something that you look forward to doing and go for it!
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I go to step & power step classes several times per week, I've enjoyed step since it started in '80s; gets my heart rate up, get a great sweat on, I find it fun, have a great instructor too. Why not give different classes or types of workout a try? You might find something you love!
  • misma10
    misma10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise is a great dance aerobic class - it really kicks butt and includes strength training as well. See if there is one in your area. If you have a good instructor they will give you low impact options while doing the routines and safety tips - watching posture during plies or pulling your shoulders back to improve posture. Everyone starts somewhere so don't feel bad if you have to modify a movement to fit your personal fitness level.

I personally like group fitness classes better than videos because it's more personal. Also the instructors usually are more than willing to answer questions or help you if you needed it. There is also the added benefit of meeting more fitness minded people and developing relationships - that has kept me going in the past when my butt wouldn't have gotten off the couch otherwise.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love aerobics! I do workout dvds or youtube videos. Denise Austin has some fun routines. I also like The Firm. Yoga or Pilates, or even a barre class, might help your posture and core strength, which will help with any other activity you do.
  • ErikaAurelia
    ErikaAurelia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers!

I will not be going to a "real" place to do aerobics, I don't like moving around in weird ways when people can see me (hehe). Maybe I will be more comfortable with it when I have been doing it for a while with youtube videos, but till then, home is the place!

I will definitly not push myself too hard, I'm not even sure if I would be capable of doing that. The times I have tried to do things people on youtube does I usually stop and take a break when I feel that my legs are starting to shake or I get dizzy (which is usually the two things that happen, not counting out of breath, if anything happens), because I know that I will not be able to complete the session if I feel like that (+ it gets worse quite rapidly).

I will check out jazzercise and Denise Austin.

My bad posture is a result of me, every since my childhood, staring down at the ground (my family often went to the beach to look for fossils). So it is not really a result of nothing/not being in shape, but I suppose it doesn't matter what caused it. I am planning on taking exercises only for the posture besides doing aerobics (and pilates, if I do that).

I forgot to ask this question before: is it important to have shoes on while doing aerobics? Would mean that I have to buy new shoes, haha.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone "walking" workouts are basically low-impact aerobics and she gives constant reminders about posture (as well as direction on how to achieve it). When I started, I was basically a puddle and now I'm always conscious of standing up tall and "setting my core". I think when you find your muscles, your posture will naturally tend to improve. It's important for me to wear good shoes when I workout because I have flat feet and issues with plantar fascitiis and require good support. I would think it would be beneficial for anyone to have good support while they're working out.
  • KyleneSusan
    KyleneSusan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think the shoes decision is going to be a very personal decision. I don't wear shoes during my workouts, but my feet are fairly "normal" and I find that working barefoot helps strengthen my feet. And like @try2again said, she finds wearing shoes important. So that would really depend on your feet and your comfort.
  • misma10
    misma10 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can't speak from doing the workouts at home, but I consider shoes to be very important. Preferably, you would want cross trainers with good support. Depending on what you choose, aerobics can have some side to side movement or fairly quick changes and good shoes will prevent ankle injuries.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    Thank you for your answers!
    I will go and look if I have any shoes hidden somewhere, else I guess I will have to buy new ones. I have had achilles tendon issues in the past, but those came with wearing walking shoes that had a slight pressure on the tendon, I did not even notice it. I am a bit paranoid for that reason, but it was long ago I felt any pain now.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I go to classes at my gym and I really enjoy them. it's nice to have the company, and having someone running the class keeps me pushing myself instead of taking it easy on myself like I probably would if I was just working out by myself. plus that way I learn proper form too
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    There are several reasons why I will not go to classes at a gym, but I'm glad to hear it is working for you :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Have a look at what is available in yoga. It will be a good complement to the aerobics and help with your posture, coordination, balance, and flexibility. You could alternate days with them.

Cheers, h.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    I have thought about starting with yoga before, but never got around to it. Would it be OK to do aerobics, pilates and yoga? I suppose I don't have to do all of them every single day, so I guess it would be alright.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless you ever had yoga or pilates lessons, I would not recommend starting on your own. Get a few lessons first. Posture matters, and I do not think the average person can figure it out alone. Or even realise when they are doing something wrong.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Unless you ever had yoga or pilates lessons, I would not recommend starting on your own. Get a few lessons first. Posture matters, and I do not think the average person can figure it out alone. Or even realise when they are doing something wrong.

Ah, that's too bad. Wouldn't it be ok to just go with blogilates videos? I mean, she does say how you're supposed to do while showing how to. I definitly do not want to go somewhere and have someone touch me to correct me, if that is what they do. I feel sick just thinking about it..
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Ah, that's too bad. Wouldn't it be ok to just go with blogilates videos? I mean, she does say how you're supposed to do while showing how to. I definitly do not want to go somewhere and have someone touch me to correct me, if that is what they do. I feel sick just thinking about it..

No one has to touch you. But small differences, like breathe more deeply, or bend your knees lower, or streighten your back etc, they are not at all obvious when you are on your own, especially since it is impossible to check yourself, even with a mirror. For example, my current pilates instructor sometimes ask permission to grab a video of someone havign the wrong form, so she can then show it to them afterwards and explain what was wrong. No touching involved. If what worries you is people getting in your personal space, in all yoga and pilates classes I have been to, instructors were always definitely very respectful of students. And I am sure they would understand if you explained in advance about anxiety or whatever other issue you might have. Most instructors I have worked with usually ask all new class members about any issues they might have, anything they want to mention in advance etc.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    I do have some more issues with going to classes. I feel uncomfortable doing not-everyday movements in front of others, I feel like people stare at me, and I know that if they're gonna help me with my posture, they will keep an eye on me. I have considered just forcing me to go to classes, but then they cost money, I don't have much as it is now, but I guess I could afford one lesson.

Could I do aerobics without going to a lesson first? If I plan on doing both pilates and yoga, should I do one class of each or try to get more than that? I feel a bit uncomfortable about it, but maybe I could force a family member to join me.
  • dujyandco
    dujyandco Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I second Leslie Sandsone videos... posture is easy in those. You won't need a class for demonstration, either. She has videos on youtube, as well as many available dvd's. Very simple steps, but a good, solid workout, especially when you add weights. I use two and three pound dumbells.
  • ErikaAurelia
    Options
    Sounds interesting, thanks for telling me. :smile: I think I have some light dumbells somewhere, might be a good start!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I started yoga classes in September and tonight I have been looking at a couple of auxiliary videos to do at home. There is no way I would have been able to do any of the moves competently without having spent a few months in classes first.

I totally understand you wanting to avoid classes. I did for a while, but then the wanting a better, fitter body overrode my fear. I don't know what I was scared of! Every one likes having their own space in the class, and believe me no one has the time to watch another participant; they are too busy trying to watch the instructor.
    After class can have a social 5 min when you get together and groan over the beating your body just took- fun.

I do yoga with my SO, I have never had time to look over and see how he is doing never mind anyone else.
    I spoke to the instructor when we first started the class and gave her permission to touch me to help correct a pose, otherwise she is hands off.

If you do get the opportunity, decide which class you would like to do most and sign up for a series. If you don't like the class after the first class you can quite often cancel and get a pro-rated refund.

The 30day shred is another video without the need for good posture as much as yoga, Pilates, etc.

Cheers, h.