Is there an app for kids?

Options
I have used this program on and off for several years. I am now trying to help my son lose weight. He is 11 and close to obese. We are involved in an exercise program twice per week with a once a week nutrition class. We have been doing it for several months with no change in his weight. I think monitoring his intake would be a good next step for him to learn how to make better choices but I see this app is only for adults. Does anyone know of an app for kids where he could track his eating and exercise? He really needs it. Thanks!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Only thing I know of is sparkteens but it's for teens.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This is not the kind of responsibility that belongs to a 11 year old. You could use the app to track his food, but no need for him to be involved, or even know about it. Maybe you logging his food would help you figure out what is going wrong? Too big portions? Some ingredients you had not realised have that many calories? Something entirely different and not at all obvious unless you look at a few weeks of logging?
    Have you brought the issue up in the nutrition class? Can't they offer any practical advice?
    Also, why only twice per week exercise? It sounds too little, even for a normal weight kid.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    beth1053 wrote: »
    I have used this program on and off for several years. I am now trying to help my son lose weight. He is 11 and close to obese. We are involved in an exercise program twice per week with a once a week nutrition class. We have been doing it for several months with no change in his weight. I think monitoring his intake would be a good next step for him to learn how to make better choices but I see this app is only for adults. Does anyone know of an app for kids where he could track his eating and exercise? He really needs it. Thanks!

Children that young need very different weight loss advice. In fact it is very rare that they would be advised to lose weight.
    Most programmes are designed that they grow in to their weight. Calories tend to be reduced at a very slow pace so that their height catches up with their weight to bring them to a healthy BMI.
    I'd be asking your Dr for advise but in the mean time reduce the amount of food he is consuming by a small amount and do more activities together. A 30 minute walk after dinner, a game of football in the park, go cycling to the nearest park etc. Have fun and get him moving more.
  • kittyd7015
    kittyd7015 Posts: 4,546 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good idea but 11 is very young tbh. you shouldnt let him be near obese hes still your lookout at that age. Im phys ed teacher and I think an app for teens would be good please let me know if you hear of one xxx
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MyFitnessPal is an adult site. To create an account here, you have to certify that you're at least 18. There are websites out there that are specifically for folks under 18, as mentioned above. Have you asked your son's nutritionist?
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @beth1053 I don't believe that he should be the 1, to track the specifics of his intake/expenditure because it's just extremely easy, to develop an eating disorder; at his age. I myself chose not to do this, until I was 25 years old because it was necessary; to ensure that I wouldn't obtain an eating disorder. So I waited until the age in which, the frontal lobe of the brain, is fully developed. However that doesn't mean that he shouldn't learn about nutrition/fitness, he just shouldn't be meticulous; concerning it yet.

For instance he shouldn't count calories/monitor fitness type, duration, & caloric burns, you do this instead & don't let him know about it, so that he doesn't obsess; about meeting an expectation. What he should do instead is make healthier choices, when he is in control; of what he consumes. For instance when you make dinner, you control the type of food he eats & the portion sizes but if he's at a friend's house, he then controls his options of whether or not to consume a particular food and/or how much/little of it. When you & him exercise together, you control the type of exercise/duration but when he isn't, he should just be encouraged; to participate in physical activity on his own and/or with others. Possibly ride his bike to a friend's house, instead of you driving him there (within common sense reason, pertaining to distance and/or safety) but otherwise not be expected to do a certain amount of laps, minutes, etc.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I disagree that 11 is too young to learn about CICO and the calorific value of different foods. I was brought up on this. At age 11 my brother was put on a calorie controlled intake by my mother for a short while. They discussed it together and what food he really wanted to keep (crisps). It worked for him and he had been at a healthy weight his entire life. He is 40 now.
  • kaysday
    kaysday Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    This is not the kind of responsibility that belongs to a 11 year old. You could use the app to track his food, but no need for him to be involved, or even know about it. Maybe you logging his food would help you figure out what is going wrong? Too big portions? Some ingredients you had not realised have that many calories? Something entirely different and not at all obvious unless you look at a few weeks of logging?
    Have you brought the issue up in the nutrition class? Can't they offer any practical advice?
    Also, why only twice per week exercise? It sounds too little, even for a normal weight kid.
    I agree with this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    He's a child. As an educator I agree with those above who say this isn't his responsibility, it's his parents. And, I don't think getting a kid focused heavily on calories is wise. Sure, you can say: well this bread has x calories, but this one has y calories, but I would also then point out which one has less added sugar, more fiber, fewer ingredients, more whole grains etc.

Why not start eating healthy as a family. If you all ate a particularly nutritious way, and limited his access to junk foods, he would probably start growing taller without gaining much, if any, weight.

Don't remove all the treats, of course, but limit access, and help him make choices.

Make it a POSITIVE thing, and try not to focus on it.

Good luck.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't feel that 11 is too young to learn about CICO. I'm not necessarily a fan of an 11yo methodically counting calories as it may result in a lifelong eating disorder, BUT as a parent you can show him the difference. A packet of crisps has X calories vs a nutritious portion of lean meat/veggies on a plate. Remove all junk from the house and replace with nutritious snacks.
    Also if he is eating school lunch put an end to that ASAP! Pack him a nutritious lunch with foods he does like and put the focus on moving more and less screen time. For example my kids get zero screen time on school nights. I make them walk/bike the 1/2 mile to school and back daily. I know that's not an option for everyone but all the small things add up and if you start now, he may adopt this good habits for life! Good luck!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed this with his pediatrician?
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    You've been doing it for several MONTHS? You need to do this for a couple of YEARS, with a child. The usual goal for children is not to get them to lose weight, but to get them to maintain their weight as they grow into it, which he should be doing pretty quickly at 11. Quickly in realistic terms, that is. Treating him as if he was an adult and putting him on a diet will endanger his mental and physical health. That is why there is no app like MFP for kids under 13. Nobody is going to take on the serious liability issues involved in doing something as irresponsible as putting kids on an MFP-type diet without the direct and close supervision of a doctor.
  • ButtermilkBakery
    ButtermilkBakery Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm in this position as well - and suspect that you are a stepmom?
    My (step)son is 8 and 92 pounds. :-(

His bio-mom watched him make snickerdoodles yesterday.
    FOR BREAKFAST.
    He cries when he is here because he's obese and the kids at school are now making fun of his weight. (we have brought up his medical condition w/ her but she says 'the doctor says he's fine' ie. I don't care how fat he is or continues to get).

W/bio-mom, hes in sweats 24/7. He doesn't get that wake-up call you get w/ button-waistbands until he comes here. He has no meter when his weight is getting out of hand.

I had this same idea - to make a game out of tracking - because- no way to monitor what he's ingesting "over there". We try to get him to make HEALTH (not weight) connections. This amount keeps you energetic, this veg is great for muscles, this one is great for eyes. As others have said - an app that highlights health and nutrition is what I'm looking for.

Sidenote- despite video games, studies have shown that kids are as active now as they ever have been so I want him to make good FOOD choices and not have his weight be "dependent" upon additional activity which may eventually drop off as it does w/ most adults.

I saw this post was from 2016 - so perhaps someone has invented something!!