Do I really need to add sugar? Making my own pizza?

Options

Replies

• space_case
    space_case Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    yes but you can use honey instead for a lower GI sweetener. I took a pizza making class once and that's what they said to do.

http://www.food.com/recipe/honey-pizza-dough-awesome-117941
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Borrow a cup of sugar from a neighbor.

I tried that once. How was I supposed to know they were undercover? Bubba still writes...

One time at band camp.......

.....and we all got probation with random urine testing......

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I'm not a big bread maker, but I believe in this case you need the sugar to feed the yeast and get it going.

You need to feed the yeast. It doesn't have to be with sugar (although that's easy and traditional) or if you use sugar more than like a teaspoon. Maybe read about how yeast-based baking works? Might make you feel more comfortable.

Also, who cares about a teaspoon of sugar? (Well, other than Mary Poppins, who is pro.) ;-)
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For the pizza dough? Do I really need to add that sugar?
    Here is the recipe in case it makes any difference.
    1 (0.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    Great Value: Pure Cane Sugar, 20 Oz
    1 cup warm water (110 degrees F / 45 degrees C)
    2.5 cups bread flour
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    ****** That bolded part seems wrong. ****** (ETA: I see you realized that. Sorry.)
    The 1 teaspoon, yes, you need that.

Here's a recipe from Taste of Home (always has great stuff!).
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/thin-crust-pizza-dough
    3.5 cups bread flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    5 teaspoons quick-rise yeast
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon honey
    1.5 to 1-2/3 cups warm water (120° to 130° F)

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    This doesn't take any sugar.
    http://redstaryeast.com/pizza-dough-and-variations/

1 cup water
    2 T olive oil
    3 cups bread flour
    1 tsp salt
    2.25 tsp active dry yeast
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Did you really flush sugar down the toilet?? Hmmm
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    *ahem* if you have self rising flour you don't need the yeast or the sugar.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/473047-how-to-make-pizza-dough-with-only-self-rising-flour/

You can reduce the salt and the sugar in this recipe without hurting it.

By the way always feed your yeast with some sort of sugar. You can use a sugar syrup or honey if you have no granulated sugar. The yeast will "eat" most of the sugar in the dough, a byproduct which is little bubbles of gas which makes your dough fluffy.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Did you really flush sugar down the toilet?? Hmmm

This made me cry a little.
  • suzynam
    suzynam Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    you don't need the sugar. i bake bread all the time, sugar is not necessary. yeast does fine without it. you might need a slightly longer rising time. but you can't use self-rising flour. bread flour works for pizza dough, as does all purpose or plain.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,481 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    *ahem* if you have self rising flour you don't need the yeast or the sugar.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/473047-how-to-make-pizza-dough-with-only-self-rising-flour/

This recipe itself admits they're basically making the pizza on top of a baking-powder biscuit rather than a pizza crust. If that sounds tasty, I guess there's nothing wrong with it, but it isn't really my idea of pizza. It seems more like tomato'n'toppings shortcake. But heck, I usually add extra gluten to pizza dough just to make it chewier.

However, self-rising flour typically makes better biscuits than (Northern U.S.) all-purpose flour because self-rising is commonly made from soft wheat (less gluten) and AP from hard wheat (more gluten). Biscuits that kinda melt in your mouth are a Wonderful Thing. Mmmm, biscuits!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    space_case wrote: »
    yes but you can use honey instead for a lower GI sweetener. I took a pizza making class once and that's what they said to do.

http://www.food.com/recipe/honey-pizza-dough-awesome-117941

The GI of sugar or honey isn't relevant. It's a small amount, consumed by the yeast.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    For the pizza dough? Do I really need to add that sugar? I threw out sugar in a bad day (flushed down toilet).
    Here is the recipe in case it makes any difference.
    1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    Great Value: Pure Cane Sugar, 20 Oz
    1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    2 1/2 cups bread flour
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt

You cannot use self rising flour in your recipe. Or you will end up with something between pizza and cake.
    So, go get some plain flour, this is your major problem.
    Sugar helps with getting the yeast to work. It can be done without the sugar though, just let the initial yeast mixrure rest for a little longer.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you flush food down the toilet instead of using a rubbish bin?
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Dough WILL rise without sugar. You just need to work the dough longer to activate the gluten, and to let it rise longer as well to give the yeast some time to work. I don't know why everybody says you absolutely need sugar. Have you ever had a baguette? Recipe doesn't have any sugar. A lot of european breads don't.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I will do this. I will look at my fake maple syrup and maybe add a touch of that. I found out I have both self-rising and all purpose. I wish I would have looked harder first. Neither is expired.
    I will leave self-rising alone. I will go by that recipe. I will have pizza tonight. I will.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes, you need sugar if you want your yeast dough to rise in a reasonable amount of time, but it is not absolutely necessary. 1 teaspoon per package of yeast is not much at all. It is a matter of waiting an hour or 2-3 hours for the dough to double.

Flour: don't use self-rising in a yeast recipe. All-purpose or bread flour is best. Bread flour is made from a harder wheat so it has more protein (aka gluten) which holds the tiny air bubbles better than all-purpose and gives your bread a better rise and better texture. All-purpose is fully sufficient, especially if you don't bake yeast breads often. The unbleached tends to rise a little better than the bleached and I have not noticed any difference when making more delicate things like cookies and cakes. FYI: cake flour is made from a softer wheat and has less gluten so your cakes will have a really delicate texture. All-purpose is from a "middle of the road" wheat.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You won't believe this, but I went to my neighbor.
    She had something called pizza yeast packet, and some sugar. I'm all set. I am sorry. I should have done that first. I just realized I don't have a rolling pin....
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    She had something called pizza yeast packet, and some sugar. I'm all set. I am sorry. I should have done that first. I just realized I don't have a rolling pin....

You don't need a rolling pin. Your fingers do the job just fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,481 Member
    Options

You can use any *sturdy* cylindrical object, like a sturdy glass bottle or something (If the bottle has a neck, don't apply lots of pressure there; apply pressure on the main cylinder, and use more rolling & less pressure to get the right result.) Wine bottles can be good, for example.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My basic pizza dough

1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
    2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon olive oil

I usually use fresh ground whole wheat flour instead of white all purpose and halve the salt. Freshly ground pepper or parsley flakes add a wonderful kick to the crust. After initial rising, spread out on sheet and bake at 425 F. for 5 minutes. Take out of oven and top as desired before final baking.

It's seriously the best crust recipe I've ever found. It's versatile, works for any type of pizza.

The sugar in the flour is enough for the yeast.