How often do you weigh yourself? How often do you track it on MFP?

Options
I "weigh in" on Fridays and track that day, but I weigh myself every single morning, almost obsessively. I've tried putting away my scale where I can't see it until Friday, but at some point, I just take it out and step on that sucker. lol I find it motivating to see tiny bits come off, but I also feel anxious when it's not. So what do you do? I have some friends who track their weight on mfp every day!

Replies

• DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and input it every day. I know I'm eating a deficit so when the number goes up a little, I know it has to be water weight and don't worry about it. I just keep repeating to myself "keep calm and wait for the whoosh". It's comes eventually. I know this is going to be a long process so I don't worry about day-to-day variations.
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and track it in my phone, I input it to MFP 1-2x per week.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but only log it once per week. I know various things can affect it, beyond what I've eaten or drank (monthly cycle, etc).
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh daily. I only put new all-time low weights into MFP. I don't like the tdee communication between MFP and fitbit disturbed just from fluctuations, and I don't like that my goals don't square up correctly unless I manually change my goals to coincide with the noise of the scale. So, all-time lows makes everything else easier for me.

I use a trending app to input my daily weight.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. I input if it changes. But since I'm close to maintenance now it doesn't change often. If I go a week or so without a change I'll still re-log the same number just to show that I know it hasn't moved.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but the number on the scale means nothing to me. I don't get excited or upset over it. I'm simply tracking my bodies fluctuations based on my training and how I've eaten.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Even though I'd step on the scale every morning, I used to officially weigh in for MFP on Sunday mornings. Now that I have a Fitbit Aria, I just step on every morning and let that sync to MFP. My weight loss looks high and low that way instead of linear, but that actually reflects true weight loss so I prefer it that way. Trendweight has been an amazing website to see the patterns my body goes through each month.
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I try to weigh daily. I only put new all-time low weights into MFP. I don't like the tdee communication between MFP and fitbit disturbed just from fluctuations, and I don't like that my goals don't square up correctly unless I manually change my goals to coincide with the noise of the scale. So, all-time lows makes everything else easier for me.

I'm only 32, but I"m totally an old lady when it comes to technology and apps and all that. What is a trending app? What does it do? I did that all time low thing for a long time too, but then I gained like 5lbs over the holidays and I felt like I needed to keep a more accurate account of what I was doing and the effects of not doing well.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and log it every morning on MFP.
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but the number on the scale means nothing to me. I don't get excited or upset over it. I'm simply tracking my bodies fluctuations based on my training and how I've eaten.

You're incredible though. lol I look forward to when *I'm* looking amazing and can feel that way. I'm still in the stage of the process where if left to my own devices, I balloon out to a million lbs in the blink of an eye. I cannot be trusted.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Every morning. I log on mfp and since I'm synced with my Fitbit it also logs on trendweight.com so I can get it in a graph.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I'm only 32, but I"m totally an old lady when it comes to technology and apps and all that. What is a trending app? What does it do? I did that all time low thing for a long time too, but then I gained like 5lbs over the holidays and I felt like I needed to keep a more accurate account of what I was doing and the effects of not doing well.

The one I use is Happy Scale, but there are others. They are supposed to show weight trends and cancel out the noise from fluctuations so you can see if you're trending up or down or staying the same; most people find them beneficial for helping them to not confuse spikes from one day to the next as true weight changes.

• LloydGK
    LloydGK Posts: 86 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A persons weight can naturally fluctuate by up to 2lb on any given day (in either direction) so I've no interest in weighing myself daily.

I prefer twice a month - and always at the same time of day, on the same scale, in the exact same spot on my bathroom floor.
  • wolfehound33
    wolfehound33 Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I weigh in about once a week, but I only track once a month. I use to do it daily, but found the stress and anxiety that came from it wasn't worth it, and more often then not simply upset me more than motivated me.

Weight very's so much day to day do to so many factors that in the end I found it much better to simply rely on how I am feeling, and how I am performing in my workouts over what the scale says.
  • ayslinn28
    ayslinn28 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but I'm only inputting it once a week. The weight I put in will be from the same time wearing the same clothing type every week.
  • fbref9
    fbref9 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good morning. I tend to weigh myself every 2-3 days but my "main" weigh in is every Monday. I used to be obsessed with the scale, but now it is just another measure to my progress.

Good luck on your journey!
  • kharev
    kharev Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and at the end of the week, strip off the highest weight and lowest weight and take the average of the remaining 5 values. I take this as my average weight for the week and compare it on my notes to make sure i'm losing or gaining weight at the rate I would like
  • beautifully0dd
    beautifully0dd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month or well try too. And I use a tape measure twice a month. I use to weigh myself everyday but it got to the point that it was constantly going up and down that I stopped. Then my batteries in my scale broke. So now if I want to weigh I go to health center. Truthfully it's a lot less stressful not seeing that number every day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i weigh/log once a week or so.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I agree with LloydGK... A person's weight fluctuates from day to day from many different factors. Water weight, muscle tone, bowel movements, etc. I weigh once a week, on a hard surface like my bathroom floor, and log it once a week. It gives me something to look forward to and not obsess over.