Tomatoes and soups...??

Options
NatalieThomas90
NatalieThomas90 Posts: 61 Member
so I have a pile of tomatoes and I plan on making a low calorie soup with them as otherwise they will go in the bin!

I've googled a few recipes and they all seem so hard work...I just want a basic tomato soup with no added bits and *kitten*...

Can anyone recommend a recipe they have used?

otherwise I will be going down the "trial and error" route!

Replies

• stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    you could try this, i did it with tinned tomatoes but id imagine fresh tomatoes would work a treat too once you sautéed them.

What you need is: -
    2 cans of tinned tomatoes (substitute for your tomatoes and sautéed them before adding other ingredients)
    1 can of baked beans
    1 small can of carrots (drained) –(if using fresh, I guess you’d have to boil them until soft)
    2 small pickled onions (if none, quarter of onion diced)
    Seasoning to taste

Method:-
    in a large pan, simmer the tomatoes(after sautéed) , 1 can of baked beans, 1 small can of carrots (drained), 2 small pickled onions (id imagine a diced 1/4 onion would be just as useful. after 10 mins of simmering blend together and season to taste. (i added a a table spoon of tomato sauce to sweeten it slightly)

if you're from the UK then you will be familiar with heinz tomato soup. it more or less tastes like that but healthier. :smile:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    There are severall recipes on this site. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/89406/sweet-and-chunky-tomato-soup/ Pat
  • NatalieThomas90
    Options
    fab thanks guys :) baked beans are something I NEVER would have thought of adding!

Tomato soup here I come!
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you just roast the tomatos in the oven and blitz with a few herbs, salt and pepper that is about as simple as you can get. A little olive oil tastes nice but you can spray them with low cal spray too.
  • nikimagoo
    nikimagoo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you have a decent blender? I use my blendtech and this soup is fantastic, Just saute garlic and one onion then add some chicken broth, add that mix to your blender 1/2 full, then add tomatoes the rest of the way, blend it up with a little salt, pepper, and cayenne...it is incredible!
  • NatalieThomas90
    Options
    nikimagoo wrote: »
    Do you have a decent blender? I use my blendtech and this soup is fantastic, Just saute garlic and one onion then add some chicken broth, add that mix to your blender 1/2 full, then add tomatoes the rest of the way, blend it up with a little salt, pepper, and cayenne...it is incredible!

sounds totally simple! my sort of recipe, thanks!
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
  • jaime_bridges
    jaime_bridges Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yum