Coffee

Options
How bad is coffee for you? Well lattes..I do one shot of express with skim milk and 2 pumps of sugar free vanilla and hazelnut in a 12fl oz

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Coffee is divine.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Log the calories and see if it fits in your daily calorie goal. If it doesn't look for options that have less milk; I get a misto from Starbucks (normal coffee shops call them cafe au laits) which is half milk, half coffee. It ends up having more caffeine than a latte because more coffee, and coffee is roasted less time than espresso, so it has more caffeine. Plus, way less volume of milk, and I think espresso tastes burnt, so there's that perk as well.
  • kandisn7
    kandisn7 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Coffee is good for you. It's the creamers and sugars that are not so good. Do you like black coffee?
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Coffee has many health benefits. Unless you have issues with caffeine then it's not bad for you at all. As others have said, log whatever you add to it.
  • Moonflower83
    Moonflower83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Coffee is awesome. But yeah, as stated above, it's the added cream, sugar and fun stuff you have to watch. If you enjoy it, find a way to make it work in your meal plan.

I cut out the sugar and switched to milk in my coffee, but still, bleh. Acquired taste I suppose. I have a vanilla protein power that I can barely stomach, so I mixed the two. Plain black coffee with sweet low carb vanilla protein goodness. It was pretty good.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's only bad for your wallet if funds are limited. Make coffee at home and save money.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    if it fits, you sips? (cheesy i know) i suppose it depends on how much you want the milk and flavorings vs. black coffee. a tall (12oz) "skinny" hazelnut latte (nonfat milk, sugar free syrup, espresso) runs around 100 cals. worth it to me every once and a while.
  • ivyylam333
    ivyylam333 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't add any creamers or sugar! Thank you everybody!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Coffee is fine. Like others said just watch the calories from the added stuff.

I hate black coffee. I make mine at home so I can control how much of everything goes in it (and it saves me money). I just had a 16 oz iced Coffee with some sweetener and 2 TBSP of Vanilla Caramel creamer (35 calories per tbsp). It came out to 70 calories. Yummy and easy to fit into my day.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    My take on coffee, I have a Extra Large Black coffee from Quick Chek or 7-Eleven or Dunkin Donuts daily. I never got into drinking anything but black unsweetened coffee. FWIW the first two are cheaper than Dunkin as I get refills at a significant saving. McDonalds Large coffee is cheapest at $1 for any size. I do get the free donut with the Dunkin Donut coffee, by showing my AARP card. I work it into my days foods, usually as a midmorning snack or part of breakfast. I did look on their website first to see calorie counts. Strangely to me the Glazed Donut or the French Cruller are 60 calories less than the Non glazed Old Fashioned donut.

You could try the low fat and sweetener versions of Your favorite and see how they are.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    ivyylam333 wrote: »
    How bad is coffee for you? Well lattes..I do one shot of express with skim milk and 2 pumps of sugar free vanilla and hazelnut in a 12fl oz

Lets see. Espresso has nothing in it except for a little bit of potassium and magnesium (all needed). Milk has calcium, a bit of vitamin A, little bit of protein and iron and sometimes added vitamin D. Sugar free syrup has nothing in it.

I see nothing here that is bad for you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I just bought myself a Ninja Coffee Bar for Christmas. Not giving up my coffee. Making it at home is far less calories than Starbucks, but I go there frequently too!
  • ivyylam333
    ivyylam333 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ah okay! I usually go to Einstein bros bagels and get myself a small skinny vanilla hazelnut latte and today I was wondering how bad it was since I drink it frequently but I understand!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not bad for you.
    Creamer is not bad for you.
    Sugar is not bad for you.
    Whipped cream is not bad for you
    Any other latte/frappe ingredient is not bad for you.
    A combination of all these things is not bad for you.

If any one of these things or combination thereof puts you over your calorie goal, that is bad for weight loss but still not necessarily bad for you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Coffe and sugar and half and half are great. I measure two tablespoons of half and half and 8grams of sugar per coffee. If I want a second, sometimes I'll splurge and have the cream and sugar again-or sometimes I save the 70 calories and drink it black.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I used to get a lg. iced mocha with cream and 3 splenda. I logged it and was blown away by how many calories, fat, etc. were in it (way more than I estimated). I switched to a lg. iced coffee with cream and 5 splenda, again the cream got me with the fat/calories. So now when I go to Dunkin' Donuts I get a lg. iced coffee with milk and 5 splenda and it's only 50 calories, negligible fat/carbs/sugar, etc.

Perhaps try an approach like that if it bothers you so much. If your fine with your coffee the way it is, stick with it... just log it, work it into your daily intake and enjoy it when you drink it.

Oh, and I love hot coffee but I can only make that at home as I use non-dairy creamer and splenda and you can't get non-dairy creamer at DD, sadly.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    COFFEE? Yes please!