Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Going out for Chinese - What's the best choice & how do I log it?

I'm going out for lunch with a group for Chinese tomorrow. Lunch special at this restaurant is 1 entrée, rice, soup, egg roll & a chicken wing.

What's the most nutritional entrée? And how do I log it?

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Steamed protein and veggies.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Francl27 wrote: »

This. I go for a cup of egg drop soup, and then beef, shrimp or chicken and steamed broccoli.
    If you log your calories, add a couple hundred extra for added fat and sugar.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

This. Sauce on the side so you can control the amount.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    edited January 2016
    My honest opinion: don't touch the egg roll unless it's not deep-fried. Those are usually made from dough with a mixture of fat and not-so-good quality/quantity veggies and protein followed by deep-frying.
    I don't mean to ruin the fun of dine-out, just that those are high calorie stuffs and I'd rather spend my calorie budget on the main dish...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    An appropriate sized portion of whatever it is you like the best that fits into your calorie and macro goals.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Maybe skip breakfast so you have those calories for lunch?

I eat at Panda Express quite often (I'm on a university campus and go to the food court). I get the mixed vegetables and don't touch the rice or noodles, and I avoid the eggrolls. A lot of the stir fried dishes with chicken aren't too bad. Avoid anything battered and deep-fried with a sweet sauce (like sweet & sour pork, orange chicken, etc.).

It sounds like you don't do this regularly like me though, so I would splurge and have that eggroll! If I know I'm going to eat something with lots of calories for a special lunch, I will definitely save some breakfast calories for it and plan for a lighter dinner (more veggies and less starches).
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    An appropriate sized portion of whatever it is you like the best that fits into your calorie and macro goals.

That's... that's really not helpful.
  • BoThomas
    BoThomas Posts: 4 Member
    I usually order egg drop soup, and steamed shrimp (or chicken) and broccoli with either a white sauce or garlic sauce on the side (and used sparingly).
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    I would go with Beef or Chicken and broccoli, egg drop soup, and no egg roll or chicken wing (if it is fried). I like the idea of asking for the sauce on the side. I have never done that. I would also get brown rice if they have it. You can even check out nutritional info before you go and maybe even pre-log it so that you keep yourself on track. As for logging it, you may not be able to find a perfect match. Just pick the one that is closest.
  • What do you all think about egg foo young with either pork or chicken? It's egg based with veg and meat with a gravy on the side...
  • BuckeyeBobby
    BuckeyeBobby Posts: 1 Member
    Chicken Lettuce Wraps low calorie Chinese food.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    dwulet130 wrote: »

That's... that's really not helpful.

it doesnt make it any less true....
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Don't feel you necessarily need to stick with the lunch specials menu, if you won't be eating most of what's included. Look at some of the more substantial soups, such as seafood and vegetable soup. It's usually a clear broth with shrimp and scallops (maybe some crab), tofu, and vegetables. It may or may not have noodles. There's nothing fried or sauteed in it, so I assume it's low-fat and low-calorie. You'll get a large bowl of it, or sometimes it comes in a pot and you can serve yourself as much as you want.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Last time I went I thought the eggplant dish might be a good choice... It came out wrapped in balls of dough and deep fried! Easily the biggest calorie bomb on our table of five. It was really good so I ate it anyway and took a long walk after.
  • BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    I'll be at Chinese Buffet tomorrow night for my daughter's birthday. Hoping I can find some smart options. I know they do have egg drop soup and they also have a green bean dish.

They have the mongolian grill, so thinking I can pick my veggies and add some chicken and have that made for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Chicken Lettuce Wraps low calorie Chinese food.

If that's all you eat, I suppose so.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/recipe-zaar-p-f-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps-115935583
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    edited January 2016
    Wonton Soup w/ Roasted Pork is mostly healthy! I would go with anything that involves the veggies and meats, without too many sauces.

Have a go with the Buddha's Delight.