Bulletproof coffee

Options
Has anyone ever tried this? Adding butter and coconut oil to your coffee? They say it makes you feel full and burn fat ?? I'm very skeptical.

Replies

• nadler64
    nadler64 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You should be. Snake oil.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    You might want to use the search function and look it up...this topic comes up quite often and there are several threads on the subject. The general consensus seems to be that it is just a way to ruin coffee and add fat to your diet (adding fat isn't bad - I'd just rather eat my fats than drink them).
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If I wanted to drink an oil slick, I'd just guzzle a bottle of olive oil
  • LynnEllen64
    LynnEllen64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

• absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    It makes coffee taste good, that's for sure. Starbucks is chock full of fat in coffee. Makes it creamy.

It won't digest as fast as regular old coffee. The fat does keep you feeling fuller but only a little longer. A little fat is also nice on the elimination part of digestion. All machines need a little oil in the pan.

It's not going to kick start fat burning or anything else.

Work it into your calories if you like it. You might want to get your fat content from better sources.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the bulletproof guy, just keep drinking any kinda coffee you prefer. All you need for fat loss and weight loss is calories in < calories out.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    It sounds awful, plus adding 2tbsp of butter or coconut oil into coffee adds easily 200-250 calories. I could enjoy some yogurt or toast and eggs for breakfast, and feel much more satiated.
  • rebeccaj822
    rebeccaj822 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yuck!!!! Where on earth do they come up with these crazy things?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    This is a keto thing. A way to increase fat with minimal carbs.
    It does not cause you to burn fat. Nothing you eat causes you to burn fat.
  • PanamaCaramelLatte
    PanamaCaramelLatte Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've heard about that too..I had a friend make me a cup, it was interesting. I didn't drink the whole thing, it seemed too 'rich'...he lost a lot of weight on the bullet proof diet. But then again, it's a temporary fad, not a lifestyle change...
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I would need a bulletproof toilet to go with it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    'The recipe — a riff on the yak butter tea Mr. Asprey found restorative while hiking in Tibet — calls for low-mold coffee beans; at least two tablespoons of unsalted butter (grass-fed, which is higher in Omega 3s and vitamins); and one to two tablespoons of medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil, a type of easily digestible fat. Mr. Asprey claims having the 450-plus-calorie cup of coffee instead of breakfast suppresses hunger, promotes weight loss and provides mental clarity.' Quote from NYT Dec of 2014.

I just don't see people asking for 'low-mold' coffee. And can someone provide the vitamins of benefit from grass fed butter versus the other stuff? Mr Asprey has a book and diet available. IDK. It seems some people will believe anything.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    BPC is just a way to add fats without extra protein of carbs as @Carlos_421 said. If you like heavy whipped cream in coffee, or coffee with a frothy foam on top, then you might like it. For those who like to drink their calories, it's a nice option.

BTW, there is no oil slick on top. LOL :D There would be if you don't blend it in but I don't know anyone who prefers it like that. After you've added butter, or coconut oil (or heavy cream or coconut cream) blend it with an immersion blender or just rotate a whisk in it for 10 seconds (what I do) and you'll end up with a centimetre of frothiness on top. Yum!

I'm sipping BPC (with 1 tsp of coconut oil and a tablespoon of whipped cream) right now. A tasty morning snack or drink in lieu of eating breakfast.

... I doubt the "yuckers" have ever tried it so don't let them stop you from trying it. Go for it if you want a few more healthy fats in your diet.
  • LynnEllen64
    LynnEllen64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've heard about that too..I had a friend make me a cup, it was interesting. I didn't drink the whole thing, it seemed too 'rich'...he lost a lot of weight on the bullet proof diet. But then again, it's a temporary fad, not a lifestyle change...

I did try it for taste, but could only take a few sips, way too rich for me!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes delicious, but doesn't keep me full anymore than plain coffee does.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee is woo!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't drink coffee at all. I would think adding butter to it would make you a little more satiated as fat and proteins make you fuller than something like pure carbohydrates. But since I don't drink it, I wouldn't know.

If anything, adding butter would make it more calorific which would be good if you don't like to eat in the morning.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I can think of way better things to do with 250 calories. If you do this, make sure you cut something out of your diet elsewhere, or else you're just adding calories, which can lead to weight gain instead of loss.