This is getting expensive :(

Options

Replies

• bean177
    bean177 Posts: 75
    Options
    Oh, yeah. Then you'll have to buy more clothes when the weather changes again! Just think of all the money you're saving on hospital bills and prescription drugs you'll never have to take!

LOVE this quote!!! how true and what a great way to think of it!!!
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!!!! I agree w the other ppl that say go to second hand stores. You may have to look hard, but you will save a ton!!!!!

Also, at those same stores you could sell your old clothes for profit or store credit!! :smile:
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    LOL! Same here. I'm trying to get by with buying as little as I can and on sale since I'm not at my goal weight yet. Fortunately most of my tops and jackets are still good but the pants were all falling off. Now I've learned to buy pants with belt loops so that I can pull them in.

It's a good problem to have and the new clothes look soooo good on the skinny you! :glasses:
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Have you checked how much it would be to have things taken in at your local alteration shop? Sometimes it's even less than something from the thrift store...
  • Shani262
    Shani262 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Getting your clothes altered can save you some money or you could teach yourself also.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Time to find a good tailor. Lot easier to take things in than let them out. :smile:
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You didn't factor in the value of good health........................priceless. ;-)
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're going through, although I work at home and can go super cheap on my clothes...which are basically loungey clothes. I was an XL last year, and I'm already down to L now, so what I did was pull out the XLs from last summer and just buy a couple pairs of cheap L shorts (since lower half clothes are harder to get away with things being too big) to go with the XL shirts, and am making do. Then I've been buying clearance/off-season Old Navy stuff online for fall/winter, and buying in medium. I know it's hedging the bet that I'll continue to lose, but I'm betting on myself. :happy: I won't buy anything ahead of time that you have to buy in a number (8-10-12) instead of S/M/L though, that's too hard to call. I did that last year, bought a couple pair of pants ahead of season...and now by the time I can wear them they're too big. I didn't know last year I was going to lose weight!

Anyway, point just being that you can buy off-season on sale right now, to save, if it's possible for you and what you need to wear. Second hand (which someone said) is a good idea too for things like suits. The other suggestion of tailoring the bigger stuff is also great. You don't have to be able to do it yourself either...a tailor can do it for a lot cheaper than the cost of new or even second hand.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Someone started an MFP clothing swap on facebook. maybe that will help?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MFP-clothing-swap/141852735885571?sk=wall
  • ashley_jorah
    ashley_jorah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
    I've started shopping at consignment stores and having my old clothes taken in.
    Since you've had your new clothes such a short time, you could try to consign them and see if you can make some of your money back.
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    just ask around and find someone that sews and maybe they can take the newer ones in for you!
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Goodwill is your friend (go to the ones on the "good" side of town). You can even get new stuff there! Just saying.

X2
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Well you can always try second hand stuff for now. You can sometimes find some really nice stuff! Congrats on meeting your goal weight but I can understand the expensive part. That is what happened to me when I gained all my weight so fast!

And I am sure you know to look for the sales....sales are always a bonus!! :)
    thats what im doing until i get down to my goal weight. I hit up sales, and second hand stuff.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You might try taking some of those "new" clothes you bought recently to a tailor and see what it would cost to have them taken in. If you have a good suit that is too big, check into that, too. You might find it cheaper than buying new stuff.

Otherwise, the thrift/consignment stores are probably your best bet. You need to keep trying, though. Their selection changes daily and some days you won't find anything and other days you'll feel like you hit the jackpot.

IIRC, Target had some suit pieces that were pretty inexpensive when I was in there recently buying a dress shirt and tie for my adult son. Unless you're going for a job that requires expensive suits (lawyer, corporate bigwig) they'd probably do.
  • kevin2406
    kevin2406 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well I think I'm not going to lose much (if any) more so I don't have a problem buying again. My post was more of a tongue-in-cheek observation :)

One bonus though...when buying dress shirts, I had to buy a much larger size then need just so it would fit my neck....then have the rest of it tailored. Now off-the-rack sizes fit. :) Its much easier to shop now.

Thanks all for the words of encouragement/advice!
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Why dont you check out the cost in getting then taken in? That way you can take some of your favorite's and keep then your favorites!
  • DPruneda17
    DPruneda17 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    you could check consinment shops

Yea, a couple years ago I lost almost 40 lbs. I took all my old big clothes to the consignment store and sold them there. Then shopped there to buy new clothes that fit! Consignment is good, cause they are picky about what the accept, so you end up with better stuff (lots' of name brands) for great prices. And usually alot nicer items then what you'd find in a thrift store. AND get money for your old clothes! Win win!
  • just4gie
    just4gie Posts: 4
    Options
    Well, I kept some of mine so I have a few to get back in to, BUT the new sexy clothes I can't wait for... I wanted to be a French Maid for my husband for a long time...one he would hire LOL
  • heyvg
    heyvg Posts: 4
    Options
    A good tailor can alter...a lot less expensive than buying!.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Think of the good news....

The Clearance racks at the stores are always well stocked with 'normal' sized clothing. More and more people are way over-weight; so the clothes that most people SHOULD be wearing, are simply not selling. If not; then thank the Lord for Old Navy where you can buy decent clothes at a reasonable cost.

Then use that cost savings on everyday clothes; to buy something NICE to reward yourself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!