Breaking a Habit?

Options
Maybe this isn't where to deal with this. It's not about food, but it could be for someone else.

I have dry lips and have a terrible habit of blowing damp air bubbles through my lips in an attempt to alleviate it. It's very distracting to people and it doesn't actually help. lol

The thing about habits is they become mindless activities. So, I notice it after the fact - when I'm doing it, or if someone comments about it (like my doctor did today). And even when I notice it, I find it hard to stop.

There's a lot of information on creating a habit, but it doesn't seem to work to simply apply the opposite effort.

Maybe this post will sink, like a rock, to the bottom of the pile, but maybe it will get a comment or two. :)

Replies

• mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...interesting. Have you resolved the problem, the dry lips, I mean? Is that you went to the doctor about? I think your habit will dissapate if you resolve the underlying problem. Besides various ointments that on the market, perhaps you can start ingesting an omega 3 rich oil, like flax seed, or certain quality fish oil, or even ingest foods like avocados, salmon (other fish), etc. into your diet.

I use to have really red eyes and not matter how much eye drops I put in them, they would still feel dry and get red throughout the day. I then did a little research on it and starting taking omega 3s and viola...no more red/dry eyes.

As a youngster, I would bite my fingernails down to nubs. Nervous habit that left when my home situation wasn't so anxiety inducing.

As to habits and changing them, yes it can happen. As I say resolve the underlying issue and the habit quiet possible will go away cause it's not needed any longer.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I used to have really dry lips from some medications and don't take them any more, but my dentist always says they're dry. I use supercharged ointment: Aquaphor, all the time.

I may try those foods - it's a thought. I don't eat a lot of fat or oil.

I bit my nails when I was younger, but the way I stopped was one day I simply noticed I didn't do it any more. I never consciously decided to stop.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit, my daughter too, of picking at my lips, they always feel dry, and rough and something peely and I hate it. I am using chapstick and different lip things all the time. I hate it. One morning I noticed my lips were really smooth and looked good and I was happy about that, before the day was over I was picking again. Urg...
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    I have always found chapstick drying. When I was using popular brands, I preferred Blistick. Aquaphor is like vaseline. Not that it's helping. :|
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm curious... What is 'blowing damp air bubbles'?
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Try using olive oil on your lips. And I agree eating some would probably help too.
  • 47Jacqueline
    Options
    KeepGood wrote: »
    I'm curious... What is 'blowing damp air bubbles'?

It's hard to describe more than that. I sort of purse my lips and blow spit bubbles so my lips aren't so dry
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My daughter was at a new dermo appt and I went with her. We asked about the dry cracked lips, she has it too and picks them awful. The Dr. said to use vaseline with coco butter, we bought a tiny little tub of it for 1.79 and I have it by my chair and put it on often and try to keep busy so I don't pick at them, and they are much better so far.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Find: the Power of Habit. GREAT book. For lots of reasons.