Injured but miss triathlon races

Options
I suffered an 'overtraining injury' about a year ago and elected not to do surgery on my shoulder (torn anterior labrum). It does fine except for overhead rotations (i.e. freestyle) which I can do but causes an increasing amount of pain with each rep.

I really want to get back into racing as i have really fallen off the wagon without it but don't sure what to do with the swim piece. I am debating doing breast stroke with a modified kick so I don't tire out the legs or training with breast stroke and kicking to get my pool time in but then just pushing through the pain on race with freestyle.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why not get into duathlons?
    What is your prognosis? Any chance you will be healed? Or is this a forever type injury? What distance are you talking about racing? Big difference between hashing it out for 750m and 4km.
  • omegamaster40
    omegamaster40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've done a few duathlons but they just feel like they are missing something and don't really excite me like tri's do.

Prognosis has been different from all 3 doctors I have seen (large part of the reason I don't trust surgery - debating the Cortisone shot option one suggested though...). No signs toward it 'healing 100%' although I am trying another round of PT right now just for the heck of it. Assume it is a forever thing though.

I want to start with a few Olympic races to get back into it but goal is to do a 70.3 half iron in early 2017 and full iron in 2018/2019.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've done a few duathlons but they just feel like they are missing something and don't really excite me like tri's do.

Prognosis has been different from all 3 doctors I have seen (large part of the reason I don't trust surgery - debating the Cortisone shot option one suggested though...). No signs toward it 'healing 100%' although I am trying another round of PT right now just for the heck of it. Assume it is a forever thing though.

I want to start with a few Olympic races to get back into it but goal is to do a 70.3 half iron in early 2017 and full iron in 2018/2019.

Have you been to a sport specific doctor?
    I can't really see doing half or full with that type of injury but I am also not a professional in this.
  • omegamaster40
    omegamaster40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Have you been to a sport specific doctor?
    I can't really see doing half or full with that type of injury but I am also not a professional in this.

Not sport specific (didn't even know they existed), seen shoulder experts who have a lot of sports injuries come to them though - one of which is shoulder doctor used by the professional baseball team in Houston.