Steamed Almond Milk or Coconut milk

Options
Does steamed almond milk have more calories? Also which is better calorie wise? Coconut or almond milk?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Alpro almond unsweetened has fewer calories than alpro coconut milk by volume, if that helps.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    *deleted because I realized I wasn't saying anything terribly useful
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    more calories as opposed to what?

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Look on the label. My almond milk and coconut milk are similar in calories. But then it depends if you get sweetened, unsweetened, flavored etc. Steaming it will not change the calories.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just making sure. Many people do not realize that they have almost no protein vs. milk. And calcium (if any) is added, not natural.
    Did you know it takes an ounce of nuts to make an entire container of almond milk. You could call this expensive water. Protein was my salvation against hunger.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Does steamed almond milk have more calories? Also which is better calorie wise? Coconut or almond milk?

Kind of a vague question. Almond milk has about 40 calories per serving. Coconut milk can have anywhere from 50-120 calories per serving, depending on what kind you use and for what purpose. Steaming would just add some water, right? Regardless, you can find out yourself in the MFP food database.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Just making sure. Many people do not realize that they have almost no protein vs. milk. And calcium (if any) is added, not natural.
    Did you know it takes an ounce of nuts to make an entire container of almond milk. You could call this expensive water. Protein was my salvation against hunger.

If you compare the two, don't you think this is expensive?

UngAsy8.jpg?1

Just one of the expensive aspects of drinking dairy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

For what are you using the coconut or almond milk? My smoothie recipes call for either, but I'm using tea for the liquid instead. 0 calories, cheaper, and no need for refrigeration.

(Obviously this wouldn't work for cereal, but I don't eat that anyway.)
  • melonaulait
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For what are you using the coconut or almond milk? My smoothie recipes call for either, but I'm using tea for the liquid instead. 0 calories, cheaper, and no need for refrigeration.

I've never heard of tea in a smoothie, what a great idea!
  • shazzmatazz
    shazzmatazz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make cafe au lait with steamed almond milk. Just wondering if coconut milk is more protein and less calories
  • ook_ga
    ook_ga Posts: 10 Member
    Options

If you compare the two, don't you think this is expensive?

UngAsy8.jpg?1

Just one of the expensive aspects of drinking dairy.

Straight #fiyah
  • shazzmatazz
    Options
    ? Neither one is dairy. They both are only $2.99 but I live in a big city where there is competition for whole healthy foods.
  • melonaulait
    Options
    ? Neither one is dairy. They both are only $2.99 but I live in a big city where there is competition for whole healthy foods.

Sorry I derailed, but there was the comment about almond or coconut milks being expensive water. I personally think they are great alternatives for people who don't drink cow's milk. And cow's milk is much more expensive to produce than nut milks.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

What's the problem with calcium-fortified food?
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have been using cashew milk lately and love it....sorry a little off topic

•25 calories per serving
    •Made with the special creaminess of cashews
    •0g saturated fat and cholesterol
    •50% more calcium than dairy milk2
    •Free of dairy, soy, lactose, gluten, casein, egg and MSG
    •Verified by the Non-GMO Project’s product verification program
    •No artificial colors, flavors or funny business
  • shazzmatazz
    Options
    Wow I thought cashew would be super high in fat,and calories. It's so delicious
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    100 gram of coconut milk is about 233 calories
    100 gram of unsweetened cashew milk 11.4 calories

95069916.png