Who's using bone broth?

Options
2»

Replies

• HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Isn't bone broth just stock? I haven't/won't click the link to read about magical claims but I always thought boiling bones gives you stock. ...which is used in lots of every day things. ?

Yes it is and yes it does. You aren't missing anything. It's the silliest thing I've seen people fall for in a while.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Isn't bone broth just stock? I haven't/won't click the link to read about magical claims but I always thought boiling bones gives you stock. ...which is used in lots of every day things. ?

Yes it is and yes it does. You aren't missing anything. It's the silliest thing I've seen people fall for in a while.

The sad thing is...I don't think it even makes my top ten
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I save chicken bones and make a big batch of bone broth/stock. Then I portion it out into smaller batches to freeze and use those to make different soups. (I didn't read the article, just answering the subject question)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I make my own stock......... Sorry bone broth! Because I'm too tight to buy decent jellied stock.

It has been done this way for centuries so I doubt the tiny amount of collagen in it now is any better than it has always been. I can't believe what some people will pay a fortune for.

Oh wait, I can believe it.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Isn't bone broth just broth?

It's not even broth. It's stock.

(Broth = made from meat, stock = made from bones)

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I've been using "bone broth" in cooking for years because homemade stock/broth is economical and tastes better than the watery commercial stuff. It's good, nutrious food, but it's not magic.

Yep!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I never knew this was a "thing" until this forum. I do it because why buy broth for soups when i roasted a chicken/other bone in meat yesterday. Every meat and bone scrap I get gets tossed into my slow cooker with a splash of vinegar and then covered in water and cooked for 24-48hrs. Makes the best soups! I either make huge pots of it for my fam or freeze in tiny portions so I can make single serve veggie or egg drop soups on the quick!

• tcarroll120
    tcarroll120 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That sounds great I love egg drop soup!!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I make a traditional stock. I've tried to make bone broth twice and it was revolting, IMO -- a waste of perfectly good stock bones.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Found some organic turkey bone broth--the only kind I saw. Barely any sodium and way more protein than other broth. I use it to make my quinoa instead of water. If I made soup, I'd use it for that, too.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I make it because its delicious. I keep a bag un my freezer for veggie scraps. Everytime i chop onions, or celery, or whatever...i toss the washed scraps into the bag. When its full, i dump the whole thing into the crockpot with some bones and cook for 18-24 hours.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I make a traditional stock. I've tried to make bone broth twice and it was revolting, IMO -- a waste of perfectly good stock bones.

What ruined it for you? The vinegar?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    It makes lovely gravy and soups, but I can't always be bothered waiting around that long.

If I know that I need beef stock for Wednesday, on Tuesday night I will throw the bones in the crock pot.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Is it tasty? I'd eat a broth if it was tasty.
  • kfdcem
    kfdcem Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I "use" bone broth all the time. Because I'm poor.

Soup from scratch is delicious, healthy, filling, and unbelievably dirt cheap. It hasn't made me young and radiant though. If anything, all the weight I've lost is bringing out fine lines that I never knew I had :/
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Homemade stock great and yes it's inexpensive. I tell wife I'm making garbage soup, she loves it.

First time I made it I was shocked, really wasn't aware of how the gelatin set up. It's healthy for my wallet for sure. Wouldn't hope for more.