Should you REALLY eat in the morning before a workout?

Options

Replies

• muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't want to argue but it's not a matter of choice. You tap into your fat stores quicker when you do cardio on an empty stomach...this is backed by research. When you eat before you do cardio, all you're burning off is the food you just ate and any other notion is incorrect. You can lose weight a million ways, including being stranded on an island with no food for a month. If we're talking about the most efficient way to lose fat, then cardio on empty stomach is better.

http://greatist.com/fitness/why-you-should-exercise-on-an-empty-stomach

That's a blog not scientific research

Didn't say that was research, just gave you something to read. You're still wrong but whatever floats your boat. I don't think you understand the human body as much as you think you do. Timing of your meals is important. Anyone who's ever done any fitness competition knows this.

Orly?

fasted cardio does not appear to be superior for fat loss based on scientific evidence and my own anecdotal evidence with myself and the clients I work with. So instead of suffering as a fasted cardio zombie on a treadmill, have some food beforehand and kick thermogenesis into high gear for improved fat loss! Layne Norton

http://fitnessrxformen.com/training/fasted-cardio/#sthash.kWiKk9n2.dpuf

Ok
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I don't want to argue but it's not a matter of choice. You tap into your fat stores quicker when you do cardio on an empty stomach...this is backed by research. When you eat before you do cardio, all you're burning off is the food you just ate and any other notion is incorrect. You can lose weight a million ways, including being stranded on an island with no food for a month. If we're talking about the most efficient way to lose fat, then cardio on empty stomach is better.

Didn't say that was research, just gave you something to read. You're still wrong but whatever floats your boat. I don't think you understand the human body as much as you think you do. Timing of your meals is important. Anyone who's ever done any fitness competition knows this.

Timing meals can be important, in very specific cases - like carb loading before a long endurance event. Pro athletes often place extreme demands on their bodies that require special consideration.

For plain old fat loss, though, it's not important. You end up with the same long-term fat loss at the same deficit regardless of what ratio of things you're oxidizing for energy at the specific moment of exercise. Meal timing may change when during the course of the day you actually lose the fat, but it doesn't change how much total fat you lose that day.
  • IbraZibra
    IbraZibra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Working out on an empty is preference I have done both and feel okay either way. Most people recommend working out an an empty if you're doing intermittent fasting. I also have read that cardio within 15 minutes of waking up in the am is burning all fat. I have always liked cardio on an empty. Good luck.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes, bodybuilders do it during contest prep because they're at the threshold of being as lean as they possibly can and will take any small edge they can get, no matter how slight. I must have missed the part of the OP's question where said she was a bodybuilder/fitness competitor at extremely low BF%, in the final stages of contest prep.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options

I've done 4 comps got body fat down to 7% stand by what I said before!
  • summerkissed
    Options

Orly?

fasted cardio does not appear to be superior for fat loss based on scientific evidence and my own anecdotal evidence with myself and the clients I work with. So instead of suffering as a fasted cardio zombie on a treadmill, have some food beforehand and kick thermogenesis into high gear for improved fat loss! Layne Norton

http://fitnessrxformen.com/training/fasted-cardio/#sthash.kWiKk9n2.dpuf

Layne is the man!!!
  • erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've heard from numerous people & a trainer that it's not to work out on an empty stomach. But, I don't suggest working out after a huge breakfast or meal either. If you workout in the morning, I would have something small, like a banana & 1 hard boiled egg...just to give your body the fuel you need to power through the workout.

• muscleandbeard
    Options

Then let's agree to disagree. We both stand by our point of view. I've done two competitions in my 20s and been using that method for over 10 years and will stand by it. I don't know who Lance is tho sorry
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yes, bodybuilders do it during contest prep because they're at the threshold of being as lean as they possibly can and will take any small edge they can get, no matter how slight. I must have missed the part of the OP's question where said she was a bodybuilder/fitness competitor at extremely low BF%, in the final stages of contest prep.

Same rules apply for maximum fat loss regardless if it's a bodybuilder, a fitness model or Joe from cross the street. Bodybuilders do it because it works and its most effective
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Then let's agree to disagree. We both stand by our point of view. I've done two competitions in my 20s and been using that method for over 10 years and will stand by it. I don't know who Lance is tho sorry

you dont know who :lance " is? lol
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    If you body build you would know who "Lance" is
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    Or is it Layne
  • muscleandbeard
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Wrong. There are thousands of body builders and fitness personalities out there. Not following/knowing one doesn't mean anything. I see that you're gonna be "one of those guys". Go start trouble somewhere else guy. All I need to know is who Lazar Angelov, Sergi and Jeff Seid.

• Wetcoaster
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wrong. There are thousands of body builders and fitness personalities out there. Not following/knowing one doesn't mean anything. I see that you're gonna be "one of those guys". Go start trouble somewhere else guy. All I need to know is who Lazar Angelov, Sergi and Jeff Seid.

lol...ok...everyone who follows nutrition and science knows who layne Norton is
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    you probably never heard of Alan either......
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    guy
  • muscleandbeard
    Options

Well you apparently know who it is and it hasn't helped you one bit. I just reported you for trolling dude.
  • summerkissed
    edited January 2016
    Options

You have been bodybuilding for over 10 years and you don't know who Layne Norton is??
  • summerkissed
    Options

Well you apparently know who it is and it hasn't helped you one bit. I just reported you for trolling dude.

Well you better report me as well because if you have anything to do with bodybuilding or nutrition science then you should know who Layne Norton is!! I think you are the one trolling mate!
  • muscleandbeard
    Options

Well you better report me as well because if you have anything to do with bodybuilding or nutrition science then you should know who Layne Norton is!! I think you are the one trolling mate!
    I'm trolling cause I don't know who Layne Norton is?? You're pathetic. Just read his bio...doesn't seem to be as relevant as you're making him to be. Sorry.