37 and diagnosed with diabetes! Starting a new lifestyle

Options
I'm 5'6 and weigh 202 pounds

Replies

• PalmChris
    PalmChris Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Get healthy girl. You do not want to develop neuropathy!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    You can do this. It will take some work but it can be done. Congrats on deciding to change your lifestyle. That is the only way to deal with diabetes.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out like I did, lol. For me, Metformin helps the most, as does cutting carbs to a certain amount per meal and day, and exercising. Walking after higher-carb meals is a neat trick that still works for me, so even multiple short walks a day can help.

I looove my carbs, but it's really not so bad. It'll keep me thin, because I can't have all the sweets that make me have to lose weight here and there, lol. I still eat great things, including carbs. Just not so many of them ;)

I didn't have to lose weight, but that is really supposed to help a lot, too. You've got this! If I can cut down on what foods I love to eat, I think anyone can ;) And remember that the medicine will also help bring your numbers down, so don't stress if it takes a few weeks before you see improvement there. Use your monitor a lot; it helped me learn so much about what makes my glucose go high.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was similar 3 years ago. I tried diet change first before taking meds, and do not have to take any meds.
    Even if you DO need meds, you can lower the amount you need and reduce blood sugar spikes with a reduced carb diet.
    My main advice, as we are all different, is eat to your meter. Test before eating, then 1 hour after and 2 (sometimes 3) hours after. You will see which foods raise your blood sugar the most, and keep it raised the longest. Then reduce or eliminate those foods.
    Carbs raise BG the most, protein about half the amount of carbs, and fat almost none at all. Which is why low carb/high fat is popular with people with insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome/diabetes.

Good luck.
  • crystalv1530
    crystalv1530 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! So far I'm doing really good I just hope it pays off!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Awesome.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    My experience when I was diagnosed was I did indeed lose mainly because metformin leaves me to nauseous to eat but meh. Honestly tho cutting back the sweets, going back to my natural eating patterns, and oddly upping exercise helped the most, I don't know why the third one helped and am almost positive it was entirely the first and second with the third is all in my head. Now still overweight but not having the sugar issues.
  • crystalv1530
    Options
    Well I learned today that I also have hypothyroidism! Which I guess could explain my weight gain. Starting levothyroxin tomorrow which is notorious for causing weight gain and making it harder to lose. I hope this is not the case with me. Its a bit overwhelming trying to figure out how to handle diabetes and hypothyroidism and maintaining the low calorie diet but I'm determined to continue trying.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Well I learned today that I also have hypothyroidism! Which I guess could explain my weight gain. Starting levothyroxin tomorrow which is notorious for causing weight gain and making it harder to lose. I hope this is not the case with me. Its a bit overwhelming trying to figure out how to handle diabetes and hypothyroidism and maintaining the low calorie diet but I'm determined to continue trying.

Levothyroxine doesn't cause weight gain in the majority of people (I don't know who told you its notorious for weight gain but that is wrong) it should actually help you lose the weight like any 'normal' human being, I think I'm testament to that as I'm on 150/175mcg of levothyroxine and lost over 60lbs.

Good luck!
  • crystalv1530
    Options
    That's what I thought as well. But after learning about my thyroid problem and browsing the internet for answers I saw the majority of people complaining of weight gain on levothyroxin with hypothyroidism. Also being unable to lose weight. I certainly hope I am not one of those people. I have enough problems without that!
  • Roeder1122
    Roeder1122 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2013 at 25 years old :( I have a lot of hate and fear. I am just NOW getting over the denial stage and starting to take it seriously. With diet, exercise, and meds my blood sugar has gone from 580 to 158(next A1C is due in Feb.) In roughtly 2.5 weeks.

Send me a request! We can do this ;)

• crystalv1530
    Options
    That's an amazing drop. And only 25! I hope I can be that successful. I'm mostly disapointed in myself because I knew inevitably I would get diabetes if I continued the lifestyle I have. Both my parents have it. And now even my 16 year old daughter is pre-diabetic. But I am determined I will not end up insulin dependent like my parents. I'm new to the site I'll have to figure out how to add friends!
    Don't freak out like I did, lol. For me, Metformin helps the most, as does cutting carbs to a certain amount per meal and day, and exercising. Walking after higher-carb meals is a neat trick that still works for me, so even multiple short walks a day can help.

I looove my carbs, but it's really not so bad. It'll keep me thin, because I can't have all the sweets that make me have to lose weight here and there, lol. I still eat great things, including carbs. Just not so many of them ;)

I didn't have to lose weight, but that is really supposed to help a lot, too. You've got this! If I can cut down on what foods I love to eat, I think anyone can ;) And remember that the medicine will also help bring your numbers down, so don't stress if it takes a few weeks before you see improvement there. Use your monitor a lot; it helped me learn so much about what makes my glucose go high.

• crystalv1530
    Options
    I love my carbs too. Especially when I can't have them! I'm a big fan of bread.. I just got the monitor today so that will take some getting used to I'm sure. Thanks for the advice!
  • crystalv1530
    Options
    I was similar 3 years ago. I tried diet change first before taking meds, and do not have to take any meds.
    Even if you DO need meds, you can lower the amount you need and reduce blood sugar spikes with a reduced carb diet.
    My main advice, as we are all different, is eat to your meter. Test before eating, then 1 hour after and 2 (sometimes 3) hours after. You will see which foods raise your blood sugar the most, and keep it raised the longest. Then reduce or eliminate those foods.
    Carbs raise BG the most, protein about half the amount of carbs, and fat almost none at all. Which is why low carb/high fat is popular with people with insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome/diabetes.

Good luck.

• Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Both my parents have it. And now even my 16 year old daughter is pre-diabetic. But I am determined I will not end up insulin dependent like my parents. I'm new to the site I'll have to figure out how to add friends!

Good luck! I bet you'll be a great inspiration to your daughter. :) Never give up.
  • crystalv1530
    Options
    Thank you I really wasn't sure when I needed to check my blood sugar so that is super helpful!
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought as well. But after learning about my thyroid problem and browsing the internet for answers I saw the majority of people complaining of weight gain on levothyroxin with hypothyroidism. Also being unable to lose weight. I certainly hope I am not one of those people. I have enough problems without that!

That is usually only the case if they are under medicated, you shouldn't gain weight for no reason when on levo. The problem is a lot of gps just look at blood test results and say now you are in the 'normal range' you must be fine without taking symptoms into account and it doesn't work that way. I would say educate yourself, look at the thyroid UK website, it has a wealth of information. I would also recommend if your daughter is showing signs of pre-diabetes to also have her thyroid checked out. Thyroid disease and diabetes can be linked, there is also a hereditary factor in thyroid problems anyways so it is usually recommended that daughters especially get monitored annually.

Hope that helps.
  • crystalv1530
    Options
    Thanks I'll look that up. And I have had my daughter's thyroid checked and luckily she is ok. She has joined this site as well and she's doing great on her low calorie diet!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If you can find a support group or classes about Diabetes in your area it might help. There is so much information about cooking, exercising and medications and how it all affects your blood sugars. I hope your Dr. gave you some education about diabetes or has some resources for you.
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I just did a round of Drs appts at my mother's insistence. I am 38. My mom was diagnosed with high blood pressure at 35 and diabetes shortly thereafter. Basically, I am the age when my mom's health started failing. and I am not one to go to a doctor unless I think whatever I have might kill me. So, I hadn't seen a Dr in five years. I was 80 pounds overweight, and my mom threw a fit. So I got on a scale and went - oh crap . . . she wasn't kidding. So lost a few pounds. Went and got a bazillion blood tests and ultrasounds and checkups and yada yada. Last one was Tuesday for a Thyroid biopsy. No cancer. Just Goiter. DOwn 50 pounds. I think I caught everything real early before it started negatively affecting my health.

I consider myself very lucky. what they did find, and I wasn't complaining about these things - was acid reflux. 20 years of stomach pain.... Freaking acid reflux. and I got a better pain management schedule for my headaches and upper back pain. those two things weren't high on my list to get checked. But it's made a world of difference in how I feel every day.