I give up :(

Replies

• MatildaT73
    MatildaT73 Posts: 12 Member
    Get this its day one and I crashed. Followed my grilled salmon & salad with a bag of chips, which I won't even be able to burn off in the amount of time I have available to walk on my treadmill this afternoon. Not gonna let that failure be a mindset for my future. Instead I'll make sure I have something crunchy in my salad next time :smile: and skip out on something toward the end of the week to balance out my calories. Its all give and take. You can't be overly strict on yourself to the point of quieting.
    Just for thought:
    If you were on a camel in the desert and somehow fell off, and in doing so you spooked the camel and it ran off leaving you feeling helpless and alone, what would you do? Would you lay in the hot sand, basking in your misery under the hot sun, excepting this is all you can do, because there was no end in site and any attempts to save yourself would be worthless!!! I think not!!!! You would journey through with all that you could muster up, even in your misery and give all that you had not to stay where your're at, because where your at could possibly be your demise.
    Like wise with reaching your goal. You may have fallen and it seems like continuing on is useless because of what lyes in front of you, but what your not realizing is that through those valleys and over those hills is something worth struggling for......YOU!~
  • AngryGangrel
    AngryGangrel Posts: 37 Member
    Lots of good advice in this thread. OP, if you are still paying attention (and assuming this was not a troll post to get folks riled)....

Yes, being fat is that bad. As a young adult around 153 lbs., it might not seem so bad right now. But if you do not create healthy habits now (not "go on a diet" but develop healthy eating and exercise habits that will last a lifetime) then you will continue to gain weight. It will happen slowly and progressively until one day you realize that you're middle-aged, over 400 lbs., and looking at a host of health problems, including the fear of losing your feet to diabetes. I know this because it happened to me. I was where you are once, and if you don't change you'll be where I am now (and struggling to escape--with some success, I might add, but I wish I hadn't wasted my youth being fat and feeling out of control, depressed, and having zero confidence).

Don't let it happen to you.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    The foods you chose are high calorie foods that are not filling. Focus on protein and fiber and you will feel fuller.
  • KittyHeaven74
    KittyHeaven74 Posts: 68 Member
    I don't exactly know how to reply back to people.

I don't know what a food scale is and most of the time I don't know how many calories of food I'm eating. Like the spaghetti I just ate, how I'm I supposed to know how many calories that it has?

You can buy a food scale at any store like Walmart, The Bay, etc. It is used to measure the weight of your food. If you weigh the amount of food you're eating, you will find in MFP tracker how many calories it is. You can also measure the pasta in a measuring cup and track it that way. All the calorie details are on the box of food pre-cooking.

I don't want to be harsh, so I'm just going to say that you're not giving yourself enough time to figure this out. Changing your eating habits is a lifestyle choice and it takes time. Maybe it would help you to talk with a nutritionist or dietician. Also, maybe this is a great opportunity to learn how to cook the basics. Learn to use a slow cooker. Get your husband involved! As his help - see if he wants to take this journey with you. Maybe he'll teach you how to cook, or maybe he'll help you by making some healthy options you can take to work.

My other suggestion would be to try and cut back on the carbs. While carbs are healthy and you certainly can eat them, they will not fill you up as long as protein. Try to get more meat in your diet, if you're a meat eater, or other proteins such as nuts, beans, cheese, etc. If cooking really is an issue for you, try buying pre-cooked meats that you can throw into a dish and microwave it (chicken comes this way and is easy to throw into a salad or whatever dish you make). I don't eat meat, but there are also meat replacement options that are great for this. Easy to grab, healthy, and very little cooking involved.

Try to stay focused and give yourself a chance. Giving up after two weeks? Don't give yourself the option. It took a long time to develop these habits, you can't expect to change them overnight. Maybe you can focus on making one small change per week, and maybe in the beginning it's not about the calories, but just about which foods you're allowing yourself. In any case, if you look for the quick fix, you won't succeed. Weight loss takes time and dedication. You've lost two pounds, you can keep that going. But you have to believe in yourself and be willing to learn and change. It's a process!
  • timetochange52
    timetochange52 Posts: 66 Member
    I don't even own a food scale, but there are many other options for logging the foods. Most of the foods in here have a 1 cup serving size option, and that's what I use - even for chicken. You can also look up the estimate in many many web sites that are the equivalent such as once ounce of cheese is the size of a single dice, four ounces of meat is represented by a deck of cards, etc. No scale necessary. If you truly want to follow the program and lose the weight, research, research, research. Knowledge is a powerful tool. Follow the very good advice of the people on here that have proven success and make friends with the people that have already lost weight and use them as your inspiration. If going all out is too much at once, take baby steps - log your foods. Make that a habit and then adjust as necessary. Once you feel confident in your better choices, move to the next level. Look at others food diaries to see what they are eating and follow their example. Keep trying, and best of luck on your journey.
  • zaynesmommy2015
    zaynesmommy2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Everyone thank you for your advice. Sorry it took me long to reply, I work 16hrs a day. These comments motivated me not to give up honestly, I didn't think any of the comments harsh. I was just a littler bummed out yesterday because I ate so much and thought I couldn't do it anymore. I'll make sure to go buy a food scale and look at what I eat. Thank you again
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Everyone thank you for your advice. Sorry it took me long to reply, I work 16hrs a day. These comments motivated me not to give up honestly, I didn't think any of the comments harsh. I was just a littler bummed out yesterday because I ate so much and thought I couldn't do it anymore. I'll make sure to go buy a food scale and look at what I eat. Thank you again

awesome response

you can do this :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

I will be in the minority here and say stop, if the information you are giving is correct. Your profile says you are 19. Your screen name implies you have a child. If you also work 16 hours a day , then using a food scale and counting calories really does not sound to fit anywhere in your lifestyle. Focus on eating healthier, resting, and finding a job that will allow you to live a more "normal" life.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »

I will be in the minority here and say stop, if the information you are giving is correct. Your profile says you are 19. Your screen name implies you have a child. If you also work 16 hours a day , then using a food scale and counting calories really does not sound to fit anywhere in your lifestyle. Focus on eating healthier, resting, and finding a job that will allow you to live a more "normal" life.

What kind of crap is this?? When I worked 16 hours a day and studied and had a child to look after, I managed to weigh my food and count calories and lost 3 stone healthily
    OP do it, you'll be so proud of yourself. It takes seconds to shove a bit of food on a scale and log it on mfp. We all have our busy lives or challenges, and we all manage it. You will find lots of support on here for you along the way. I believe in you, now believe in yourself
  • LKArgh
    edited January 2016
    star1407 wrote: »

What kind of crap is this?? When I worked 16 hours a day and studied and had a child to look after, I managed to weigh my food and count calories and lost 3 stone healthily
    OP do it, you'll be so proud of yourself. It takes seconds to shove a bit of food on a scale and log it on mfp. We all have our busy lives or challenges, and we all manage it. You will find lots of support on here for you along the way. I believe in you, now believe in yourself

If my daughter finds herself at 19 with a child and working 16 hours shifts, not knowing to cook and not knowing what a food scale is, really I would hope that counting calories would not be one of her top priorities. Unless she was morbidly obese, which does not appear to be the case at all here. Not saying OP should not lose weight. But it sounds like if counting calories is going to be top on her priorities right now, something is wrong with her priorities. She says she feels overwhelmed. It is normal, she should. She is not lazy, she has a lot of reasons to be overwhelmed. No reasons to add the "weigh food and count every calorie" task to everything else.
  • star1407
    Healthy eating and being a healthy weight should always be a priority in order to have the energy to work and be a mum. Just sayin
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    When you feel like quitting,
    Think about why you started!

yw6vszgh5ayv.jpg

• star1407
    zira91 wrote: »
    When you feel like quitting,
    Think about why you started!

yw6vszgh5ayv.jpg

Love it
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    edited January 2016

What?!! Judge much? How is her life not "normal"? That was incredibly condescending.
  • eviegreen
    eviegreen Posts: 123 Member

If my daughter finds herself at 19 with a child and working 16 hours shifts, not knowing to cook and not knowing what a food scale is, really I would hope that counting calories would not be one of her top priorities. Unless she was morbidly obese, which does not appear to be the case at all here. Not saying OP should not lose weight. But it sounds like if counting calories is going to be top on her priorities right now, something is wrong with her priorities. She says she feels overwhelmed. It is normal, she should. She is not lazy, she has a lot of reasons to be overwhelmed. No reasons to add the "weigh food and count every calorie" task to everything else.

Sometimes feeling overwhelmed has to do with a lack of structure or control, and sometimes, overeating or eating badly can be a symptom of a structure-less life. Taking control over your diet, feeling better, losing weight, becoming physically healthier are steps that truly (TRULY) help ease other life stressers. Telling someone told hold off on fixing something that is absolutely fixable (unlike a work situation, or raising a small child) just isn't helpful advice. Physical health should always be a top priority for any person. It improves quality of life, and success in physical health can point them toward making better choices, leads to improved outlook, overall happiness, and these things are all good, positive, and important.
  • LKArgh
    eviegreen wrote: »

Sometimes feeling overwhelmed has to do with a lack of structure or control, and sometimes, overeating or eating badly can be a symptom of a structure-less life. Taking control over your diet, feeling better, losing weight, becoming physically healthier are steps that truly (TRULY) help ease other life stressers. Telling someone told hold off on fixing something that is absolutely fixable (unlike a work situation, or raising a small child) just isn't helpful advice. Physical health should always be a top priority for any person. It improves quality of life, and success in physical health can point them toward making better choices, leads to improved outlook, overall happiness, and these things are all good, positive, and important.

For most people, losing weight requires lowering calories but not counting these calories. I am definitely not saying that OP does not need to change her eating habits. Does she really need a food scale though? It is obviously a helpful tool, for some people for brief periods of time, for others for longer or even forever. But it is only a tool, not the beginning and end of all and not a solution for everyone. OP says her husband is doing the cooking, and she does not consider his cooking healthy, or that she eats out, This is not the lifestyle where a scale will help her. Learning to cook, so she can have more options, preparing easy things like salads or sandwiches or omelettes so she has a packed lunch and is not starving and eating whatever is in sight at work, having simple snacks like fruit or yoghurt or nuts etc available so she does not end up eating huge dinner portions, are going to help her far more than actually figuring out how to weigh every single things she eats, especially since she is not preparing this food herself. I know OP said she would buy a scale but I doubt she has understood that this means having the cook (so her husband) weighing every single ingredient that goes into dinner, then figuring out how much each portion is etc. This is obviously doable, but requires energy and time that I doubt the average teenager working parent really has. I am not telling OP to not change her lifestyle, but she can change her lifestyle without a food scale.
  • LKArgh
    crb426 wrote: »
    What?!! Judge much? How is her life not "normal"? That was incredibly condescending.

Her life is not the "normal" life of the average 19 year old. It is much harder. Why is this judgement? Objectively, what she is doing is both difficult and very stressful. And please do not say that lots of people raise kids and work 16 hours and do this long term and manage to worry about anything in life other when the next nap is. She is not superwoman. She needs to make her life simpler, not harder. Or she will burn out. Anyone working these hours would, even without extra stress.
  • zaynesmommy2015
    zaynesmommy2015 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm actually 20 bout to be 21 in July. I was hoping to be 130lbs by my 21st birthday. I know that still young but stuff happened. I just started working at my second job about 2 weeks ago because my husband got in a car accident and couldn't find a way to work so they let him go. I'm only working till next month till he get a car but If I don't my money is going to go straight to bills and I don't want to have money just for bills! I'm going back to school next semester so life will be better again! Anywaysss idk why I'm explaining this, this has nothing to do with weight loss. Yes my life isn't the best right now but I can still manage to lose weight. I honestly think I can lose weight. I've learned a lot on the calorie deficit thing and it has helped. I said I was going to give up yesterday but y'all just motivated me to do better (:
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    crb426 wrote: »

Her life is not the "normal" life of the average 19 year old. It is much harder. Why is this judgement? Objectively, what she is doing is both difficult and very stressful. And please do not say that lots of people raise kids and work 16 hours and do this long term and manage to worry about anything in life other when the next nap is. She is not superwoman. She needs to make her life simpler, not harder. Or she will burn out. Anyone working these hours would, even without extra stress.

ummm i was in college full time, had a baby, had a full time job and owned a house at 19.

please, tell me about normal?
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    I'm actually 20 bout to be 21 in July. I was hoping to be 130lbs by my 21st birthday. I know that still young but stuff happened. I just started working at my second job about 2 weeks ago because my husband got in a car accident and couldn't find a way to work so they let him go. I'm only working till next month till he get a car but If I don't my money is going to go straight to bills and I don't want to have money just for bills! I'm going back to school next semester so life will be better again! Anywaysss idk why I'm explaining this, this has nothing to do with weight loss. Yes my life isn't the best right now but I can still manage to lose weight. I honestly think I can lose weight. I've learned a lot on the calorie deficit thing and it has helped. I said I was going to give up yesterday but y'all just motivated me to do better (:

You're right, your lifestyle is none of our business. Good luck with your weight loss.