Fluctuating

Options
I've been measuring my food intake for a bit more than a week now. Is it normal for my weight to fluctuate?

Replies

• vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Short answer is yes. Weight fluctuates a lot. Continue to weigh (your food, that is) and check it as you go.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I can go from 115 to 119 in a day with drinking water alone. Higher sodium foods can make it worse.

For women your cycle will also make you fluctuate like crazy. Last week, I weighed in between 115.8 and 116 pounds for two weeks despite eating at a deficit to lose half a pound per week. This week is my TOM and my weigh-ins have been the following: 114.9, 114.1, and today, 113.6. I didn't eat at enough of a deficit to lose 2.4 pounds in two weeks which means my body had been holding onto water the whole time. When I ovulate, 113.6 will probably become 115 again and the cycle will continue.
  • Hammers22
    Hammers22 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. I can put on about 5lbs around my period and then lose it as quick as it came on. Most of the time it can be water retention. Drinking water throughout the day can help with this. But try not to get obsessed with the scales!
  • mikebooker1
    mikebooker1 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it's not that exact in that short of time. However, if the foods you are eating are nutrient rich and you have upped you activity level, then over time you will start to see a difference. That's about the shortest answer I can say without writing a dissertation. :)
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    yes..
    It is totally normal for weight to fluctuate depending on what you eat, T.O.M activity levels.
    I have found it best to keep logging and tracking everything to find the way my body processes it all.
    Over 88 days i have had a 1 stone loss, yes my weight is up and down like a yoyo but the general trend is downwards.
    Keep going you will get there :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I easily fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in a day depending on water and salt intaje, activity level, and whether or not I've had a good fiber poop or not. So although I weigh every morning, I only log my weight once a week.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Salt, alcohol, and bowel movements. All cause variations.
  • grannysladybug
    grannysladybug Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I put on 10lbs when i have my period. Its so frusterating... I definitley dont drink enough water. Ive lost 60lbs but my weight has been between 210 and 220 for 3 months now. How do i get that weight loss going again?? Help!!!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    1/15 - 172
    1/16 - 172.4
    1/17 - 173.2
    1/18 - 172
    1/19 - 173

My weight over the last few days. Fluctuation is normal!