Squats

Options
I'm doing squats to help keep fit and tone my legs and bum. Should I be stretching before and after or doesn't it matter?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Light warmup before, light stretching after.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    You always want to warm up for squats. Warm up, stretch, squat, stretch.
  • Fitnessflexibility
    Fitnessflexibility Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Yes always stretch!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What kind of squats are you doing?

I usually have my short walk to the gym, some dynamic warm ups like leg kicks, mild stretching of hip flexors between sets. I have at least 3 warm up sets of light weight.

If things are really tight I will foam roll first, but always after. I never just stretch a muscle cold. A dynamic warm-up is much better.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I usually have my short walk to the gym, some dynamic warm ups like leg kicks, mild stretching of hip flexors between sets. I have at least 3 warm up sets of light weight.

If things are really tight I will foam roll first, but always after. I never just stretch a muscle cold. A dynamic warm-up is much better.

This is pretty much perfect.

You can test and retest to see if you're warming up effectively.

If you're getting better range, more control and stability in the movement then your warm-up is working.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

This is pretty much perfect.

You can test and retest to see if you're warming up effectively.

If you're getting better range, more control and stability in the movement then your warm-up is working.

Yep. Sometimes I'm fine after some leg kicks and a few squats with an empty bar. Sometimes I have to go get a tennis ball and literally roll out the piriformis between sets or foam roll my hip flexors. You'll start to feel everything loosen up. I like to be pretty much all warm and loose by my second set as the weight is really increasing at that point.
  • amynis1
    amynis1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just regular squats just now. I've been following an app, but it didn't say wether to stretch or not. Thanks. I'll be moving on to prisoner squats I think? And then using weights?
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    This is what I usually do. Dinamic warm-up combined with stretches to help me get into position. Static stretches afterwards. I start with a full body joint mobility (moving every joint) then with some hip openers and then body weight and over head squats. Then just work my way up with 2-4 sets, increasing weight every set until I get to my working sets. Then I do my working sets. So a 3x5 sets would be actually 8-10x5 sets, with only the last 3 with my heaviest bar
  • amynis1
    Options
    What is a dinamic warm up?
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    amynis1 wrote: »
    What is a dinamic warm up?

I believe he means dynamic, as in active warm up. Instead of old school static stretching you do movements that activate the muscles in a dynamic fashion, through moving.

There are tons of different things you can do this picture is just to give you a visual of what is meant.

Dynamic_warm_up_laminate_otl.jpg
  • amynis1
    Options
    Okay thanks :)
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If available, I like to do stretches with a resistance band prior to squatting and place it on both legs an under the knees; then I like to stand on one leg and move the other forward, backwards, and to the side. I repeat this for a couple times and then switch legs. Iron crosses are also good as are hip bridges. Pretty much anything to warm up and mobilize involving your hips, glutes and hamstrings will be good :].
  • amynis1
    Options
    Okay thanks . My legs are starting to get sore so just thought I should maybe start stretching lol.
  • ronflournoy498
    ronflournoy498 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are 3 types of squats; low back squats, high back squats, and front squats when using an Olympic bar. Each has a slightly different form in the squat motion and works different muscles harder. Front squats hit quads better and back squats your hamstrings and glutes. Overall best total body strength exercise you can do but form is CRITICAL! Don't hurt yourself ;) squatting with just body weight or a dumbbell or kettle bell (goblet squat) can help develop stabilizing muscles so you can squat more weight deeper and increase your gains on the bar.
  • amynis1
    Options
    I'm not really sure which ones I do it's an app on my phone. I'm obviously not very clued up on anything because I don't even know what an Olympic bar is? I've not been using weights, just stretching my arms out.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    amynis1 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure which ones I do it's an app on my phone. I'm obviously not very clued up on anything because I don't even know what an Olympic bar is? I've not been using weights, just stretching my arms out.

Air squats.

You should get blood flowing into your tissues prior to doing anything you find personally strenuous. Something that gets you heartrate slightly elevated and maybe a light sheen of sweat is enough.

You'll want to progress to weighted squats (or a more challenging unweighted variation) when you can bang out reps and it's turning into an endurance based exercise.

If you are planning on sticking to bodyweight exercises, then a decent bodyweight program with built in progressions would be the best way to go. YAYOG (app or book) or Convict Conditioning (book) or Start Bodyweight (http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html) would be the resources to start with.
  • amynis1
    Options
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Stretch before AND after! Keeps the muscles good and not stiff, I love squats! I do the ones on the machine and they have totally changed the shape of my legs!
  • amynis1
    Options
    I did the 30 day squat challenge. Did my see one bit of difference and it was still hard by the end of it?? Don't know what else to do lol