I give up :(

Options

Replies

• qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm actually 20 bout to be 21 in July. I was hoping to be 130lbs by my 21st birthday. I know that still young but stuff happened. I just started working at my second job about 2 weeks ago because my husband got in a car accident and couldn't find a way to work so they let him go. I'm only working till next month till he get a car but If I don't my money is going to go straight to bills and I don't want to have money just for bills! I'm going back to school next semester so life will be better again! Anywaysss idk why I'm explaining this, this has nothing to do with weight loss. Yes my life isn't the best right now but I can still manage to lose weight. I honestly think I can lose weight. I've learned a lot on the calorie deficit thing and it has helped. I said I was going to give up yesterday but y'all just motivated me to do better (:

You got this! :smiley:
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you're giving up after two weeks, your reason for doing it isn't strong enough. That said, it sounds like you just need some strategy. For me, I got frustrated and struggled with my hunger when I first started counting calories again too. When your body is used to a certain number of calories, your insulin levels and appetite signals are set to the status quo. I'd suggest eating high protein, lower carb for the first few weeks while you get used to it. You can then transition to eating just the foods you like in smaller portions. Eating higher protein and lower sugar/carbs throughout the day has helped my appetite immensely. Also I don't know how low your calories are but they shouldn't be much lower than 1400 if you are in the 150's. Good luck.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I'm actually 20 bout to be 21 in July. I was hoping to be 130lbs by my 21st birthday. I know that still young but stuff happened. I just started working at my second job about 2 weeks ago because my husband got in a car accident and couldn't find a way to work so they let him go. I'm only working till next month till he get a car but If I don't my money is going to go straight to bills and I don't want to have money just for bills! I'm going back to school next semester so life will be better again! Anywaysss idk why I'm explaining this, this has nothing to do with weight loss. Yes my life isn't the best right now but I can still manage to lose weight. I honestly think I can lose weight. I've learned a lot on the calorie deficit thing and it has helped. I said I was going to give up yesterday but y'all just motivated me to do better (:

Good for you not letting people give you excuses not to do it. I love your determination. I didn't have the "normal" life of a 20 year old either but it still comes down to setting your mind to do what you need to do and finding a way to do it. There is nothing wrong with prioritizing your health. Keep moving forward---you got this!
  • Darylann
    Darylann Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Please do not stop trying is my advice. If you eat "bad" today then try to do better tomorrow and so on. Losing weight takes strength to endure small battles we have with food daily. Some days you will win and others you will not. Accept it and move on. The goal is to try. Remember you are in control and the only one who puts constraints on yourself. It is good to set goals, but make sure the goals are small and attainable...then move on from there. Keep moving forward one day at a time. Good Luck!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Lifestyle has to do with how you manage weight loss. There are periods of time when people are in "survival" mode, and need to focus on the basics.
    I am a bit slow sometimes, but I guess everyone thinks I was judging you because doing all that at your age is supposed to be somehow "bad"? The description you do of your life is not bad in anyway, but it is exhausting. And this matters when it comes to what lifestyle changes you can realistically implement. I would not expect the same to work for a student who still lives at home, a retired 65 year old, a housewife, a truck driver, a single parent to twin babies or you. Because these are completely different circumstances and what is easier to change for one person might be much harder for another. Someone might find it easy to exercise 5 hours per day, someone else can prepare every meal at home and weigh all ingredients, someone else might work with estimations and trial and error, for someone else cutting out all treats might be the easiest and so on. Of course it is always about a calorie deficit, but there are many ways to get there, depending on how you live.
  • fotogyrl25
    fotogyrl25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you really want it, you can make it happen. I've lost weight several times in my life and learned a little something each time. I found that two things are key: persistence and consistency (MFP helps with this). Your head has to be in the game. You have to be able to put aside today's wants for tomorrow's needs. There will be up days and down days. You will screw up. That's natural. You will do everything right and the scale won't budge. You will eat like hell and the scale will go down. It always feels weird at the beginning because you are making a change and our minds and bodies do not like to change. Keep at it and once you gain some momentum you will start to see rewards and will want to keep going. You can do this.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Lifestyle has to do with how you manage weight loss. There are periods of time when people are in "survival" mode, and need to focus on the basics.
    I am a bit slow sometimes, but I guess everyone thinks I was judging you because doing all that at your age is supposed to be somehow "bad"? The description you do of your life is not bad in anyway, but it is exhausting. And this matters when it comes to what lifestyle changes you can realistically implement. I would not expect the same to work for a student who still lives at home, a retired 65 year old, a housewife, a truck driver, a single parent to twin babies or you. Because these are completely different circumstances and what is easier to change for one person might be much harder for another. Someone might find it easy to exercise 5 hours per day, someone else can prepare every meal at home and weigh all ingredients, someone else might work with estimations and trial and error, for someone else cutting out all treats might be the easiest and so on. Of course it is always about a calorie deficit, but there are many ways to get there, depending on how you live.

I don't think you are trying to be judgmental toward her life but I am confused why you seem to be encouraging her not to do something that could help her reach her goals. I think you are trying to be charitable in acknowledging how tiring it is to do everything OP is doing right now (it does seem exhausting!) but she doesn't seem to think that weighing and logging her food is too unreasonable for her current lifestyle so I wonder why you think it. There is no doubt that she can be successful if she chooses to use a food scale and if she's on board, why encourage her to do something that has the possibility of working, though is less certain. Wouldn't it add more stressful if she just "eats healthy" and "watches what she eats" but still doesn't lose weight? I've tried all of the methods listed here and didn't have success with what you are recommending and found it infinitely more stressful. If she feels she has the extra few seconds to weigh her food, why encourage her to do otherwise?
  • Rraigner
    Rraigner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight most of my life. I tried counting calories and low fat for years and always managed to gain it back, and more. When I was counting calories I was always hungry. I felt like I couldn't get enough to eat, which always seemed to derail me. In October of 2014 I stopped counting calories and fat and started tracking carbs. Once I went to low carbohydrate eating, I haven't had that problem. Low carbohydrate eating focuses on proteins, healthy fats and healthy carbs. Eating this way keeps you satisfied and not hungry. Rather than go into a lot of detail and explain how the program works, you might want to go to the Atkins website (www.atkins.com). There's a lot of information there. This way of eating works for a lot of people. It is a way of eating and a life style change, not a quick fix for weight loss. It's worked for me and it feels effortless. Especially since I can actually EAT and feel satisfied (not deprived). Just a thought.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Rraigner wrote: »
    I've been overweight most of my life. I tried counting calories and low fat for years and always managed to gain it back, and more. When I was counting calories I was always hungry. I felt like I couldn't get enough to eat, which always seemed to derail me. In October of 2014 I stopped counting calories and fat and started tracking carbs. Once I went to low carbohydrate eating, I haven't had that problem. Low carbohydrate eating focuses on proteins, healthy fats and healthy carbs. Eating this way keeps you satisfied and not hungry. Rather than go into a lot of detail and explain how the program works, you might want to go to the Atkins website (www.atkins.com). There's a lot of information there. This way of eating works for a lot of people. It is a way of eating and a life style change, not a quick fix for weight loss. It's worked for me and it feels effortless. Especially since I can actually EAT and feel satisfied (not deprived). Just a thought.

I tried low carb and wanted to rip my arm off. It was awful. I had dreams about bread. I craved crackers. I was miserable. OP, if you are interested in eating low carb (you still have to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight), try it. If it works for you and you want to do it the rest of your life, go for it. If you try it, and you are like me and are miserable, rest assured that it's not a requirement.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    good on you for at least starting and doing something to improve you health and weight
    im guessing you have internet access? why not look up some healthy recipes or youtube videos showing you how to cook them and help you control your food? many you can look for are quick to prep etc. stirfry is quick and easy for example and veg will help fill you up
    I think you need to try and work out what works for you in your life, I..e do you need to snack still or have larger meals etc
    maybe have a look at your local library or second hand store and buy a weightloss book or recipe book for yourself
    a 16hour shift is a pain and can be soul destroying, how about arming yourself with some healthy snacks like almonds, or fruit etc
    the app estimates your daily cal amount and can guess roughly your meals (i.e. if your having spagbol find a restaurant cal option) and make your portions sensible
    don't worry about exercise as the food is more important to train your mind
    im sure you must be tired working, hubby, baby running a house etc dont be too hard on yourself good luck x

• tlyric97
    tlyric97 Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Dont forget - if you have pulled muscles do a stretch/yoga.. stretching/yoga still counts as fitness minutes And dont' forget to drink lots of water :):) dont give up! I on 2 months and the scale hasnt moved (i have lots more weight to lose than you - but I do feel better )
  • veganxpizza
    veganxpizza Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What you really should do is concentrate on the quality of the food you're eating. Calories matter, yeah, but why even bother working out and trying to get fit if you're gonna fuel your body with crap? That doesn't nourish your body or help it recover/help it function efficiently. Make sure you're getting tons of lean protein and veggies and complex carbs to stay full, regulate your appetite, and help you function better. Eating well doesn't have to mean eating tasteless!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I don't think you are trying to be judgmental toward her life but I am confused why you seem to be encouraging her not to do something that could help her reach her goals. I think you are trying to be charitable in acknowledging how tiring it is to do everything OP is doing right now (it does seem exhausting!) but she doesn't seem to think that weighing and logging her food is too unreasonable for her current lifestyle so I wonder why you think it. There is no doubt that she can be successful if she chooses to use a food scale and if she's on board, why encourage her to do something that has the possibility of working, though is less certain. Wouldn't it add more stressful if she just "eats healthy" and "watches what she eats" but still doesn't lose weight? I've tried all of the methods listed here and didn't have success with what you are recommending and found it infinitely more stressful. If she feels she has the extra few seconds to weigh her food, why encourage her to do otherwise?

Considering she has never logged this way , does not have a food scale and has never used one, plus doe not cook right now, I suspect she simply has no idea what it will be like. I am trying to get myself into her shoes, and I cannot imagine what would be there to weigh to begin with? Take away? Meals cooked by someone else? She comes home exhausted after 2 jobs and before eating she starts posing questions to her husband about how many grams of which brand tomato sauce and how many ml of oil he put in the spaghetti sauce and if he weighed accurately the cheese? And did he actually weigh the whole pot before eatign any himself, or otherwise how does OP know what her serving will be? These things are tiresome to an experienced and organised cook with a bit of free time. I cannot imagine how it will work for her.
  • tara_means_star
    Options

Considering she has never logged this way , does not have a food scale and has never used one, plus doe not cook right now, I suspect she simply has no idea what it will be like. I am trying to get myself into her shoes, and I cannot imagine what would be there to weigh to begin with? Take away? Meals cooked by someone else? She comes home exhausted after 2 jobs and before eating she starts posing questions to her husband about how many grams of which brand tomato sauce and how many ml of oil he put in the spaghetti sauce and if he weighed accurately the cheese? And did he actually weigh the whole pot before eatign any himself, or otherwise how does OP know what her serving will be? These things are tiresome to an experienced and organised cook with a bit of free time. I cannot imagine how it will work for her.

I get what you are saying and I really appreciate that you tend toward empathy. That is often missing from these boards...but it seems like you've already written it off that she won't be able to do it. Perhaps, instead, we give her the tools and let her decide what she can and cannot do. The truth is, no matter what she chooses to do, it will be difficult. It's up to her to decide how she will do it and to find ways around the challenges. Will it be difficult? Yes. Should we assume she's not up to the task? No.

• tlblue
    tlblue Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I don't eat sweets like that. It was just last night, except the Pringles though. I work overnight so I don't know when it's a good time to eat, and umm I don't really know how to cook so I just eat what my husband cooks. It's usually not healthy food, or I just eat out.
    It's not easy to cut back on calories, maybe it is for you guys but not me

You can do this. Just take baby steps. Weight gain does not happen quickly, and neither does weight loss. Start small. Best thing you can do for yourself right now is to plan ahead. Start by planning healthy snacks and have a plan in place for when you get hungry. And you don't need to cook anything extravagant to be healthy, salads, sandwiches with low fat meat and cheeses. None of this takes a chef's degree. Start small by replacing a few high fat foods with something healthier. Instead of pringles, have some low fat popcorn or pretzels on hand, instead of cookies, have an orange or apple with peanut butter ready to go. Sometimes it's the small start that ends up giving you the most success!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Op after a while weighing stuff becomes so natural you can find yourself doing it when you don't need to! Weighing stuff helps. Without a scale, I was having twice as much chocolate spread on my crispbread than I realised, and it all adds up.
    It's pretty daunting to look at the total weight you need to lose, well in my case anyway as its a lot. So I would suggest you break your goals down, baby steps and small goals you can achieve to boost your confidence.
    Feel free to add me as a friend. Slow and steady wins the race
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Healthy eating and being a healthy weight should always be a priority in order to have the energy to work and be a mum. Just sayin

x2
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

You're explaining yourself, because you truly are ready, and you probably already feel a slight trust here. GOOD!!! You have nothing to fear, most of us completely understand your struggles. I too was a 19 yr old mom, then a 21 yr old mom (many years ago) who was overweight. Never heard of weighing and logging back then, and I sure wish I had!! Life will get easier for you, like it did for me and for most of the single moms on here. Give yourself time, and go easy on yourself. Zayne needs a happy, healthy, SANE mommy. It sounds like you've figured out what you need to do, now it's just a matter of putting it into play, consistently. It took me a LONG time to lose my weight, but eventually, it started to melt away...and it will for you too, if you just stick to your plan. You got this, we have total faith in you! Feel free to add me, I'd love to help motivate and support you if you like :)
    Edited...just realized, you're not a single mom...my bad! Either way, it's on you, I know...you can do this!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Considering she has never logged this way , does not have a food scale and has never used one, plus doe not cook right now, I suspect she simply has no idea what it will be like. I am trying to get myself into her shoes, and I cannot imagine what would be there to weigh to begin with? Take away? Meals cooked by someone else? She comes home exhausted after 2 jobs and before eating she starts posing questions to her husband about how many grams of which brand tomato sauce and how many ml of oil he put in the spaghetti sauce and if he weighed accurately the cheese? And did he actually weigh the whole pot before eating any himself, or otherwise how does OP know what her serving will be? These things are tiresome to an experienced and organised cook with a bit of free time. I cannot imagine how it will work for her.

I get what you're saying. I agree that if someone's life is extremely full, baby steps would be more manageable than a drastic overhaul. And also, the primary cook, who is not the OP, needs to be willing to use the food scale.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Considering she has never logged this way , does not have a food scale and has never used one, plus doe not cook right now, I suspect she simply has no idea what it will be like. I am trying to get myself into her shoes, and I cannot imagine what would be there to weigh to begin with? Take away? Meals cooked by someone else? She comes home exhausted after 2 jobs and before eating she starts posing questions to her husband about how many grams of which brand tomato sauce and how many ml of oil he put in the spaghetti sauce and if he weighed accurately the cheese? And did he actually weigh the whole pot before eating any himself, or otherwise how does OP know what her serving will be? These things are tiresome to an experienced and organised cook with a bit of free time. I cannot imagine how it will work for her.

I get what you're saying. I agree that if someone's life is extremely full, baby steps would be more manageable than a drastic overhaul. And also, the primary cook, who is not the OP, needs to be willing to use the food scale.

no, she needs to learn to cook. or how to eat much less to result in weight loss without weighing food.