Veganuary??? How goes it?

Options
Hi I know a few people going vegan/ vegetarian for January and I wondered how you all were doing? Did you stay the course? Find it difficult? Challenges so far? Will you stay with it as the month comes to a close?

Replies

• ragonzalez328
    ragonzalez328 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am one of those people and am proud to say that I have been doing great. I am now a vegetarian slowly transitioning into vegan. I definitely will be be sticking with this new lifestyle.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm still transitioning for vegetarian to vegan (haven't bought anything non-vegan- just eating what's left in my pantry) and.... It's horribly easy. Yesterday after church (free food after service) was the first time I was unable to eat something I wanted. It will probably get slightly harder (or maybe just slightly less tasty) as my non-vegan canned coups and stuff run out, but yeah..... SOOO much easier than I was anticipating
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi I was thinking of starting this in February and I'm trying to phase out stuff I did a test run to see if it was possible to not eat eggs for a week and now I cannot stand the taste
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    my husband is vegan. he has been for 20 years. I am vegetarian. I will not become vegan. I see too much carbohydrates used which makes it easier to pile on the pounds. and cutting out dairy is a huge mistake. but well done on him for making that commitment
  • anamarta76
    anamarta76 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I am a vegetarian trying to go vegan, but it's quite hard. I have reduced animal based products as much as possible, but it's very hard to cut completely greek yogurt, eggs and cheese. I managed to reduce cheese but sometimes I need some halloumi, paneer or feta in my recipes.

I replaced milk with almond or cashew milk (unsweetened) and any creme fraiche, single or double cream with soya single cream. Instead of butter I use olive or coconut oil. But the greek yogurt and eggs are near impossible for me to give up (for reasons of taste).
  • eatearth
    eatearth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for a few months know (with some mistakes here and there) and let me just say to those who are trying it -- just keep going! It gets easier! As for thielke2015 - you can easily go vegan without eating too many carbs :smile: I'm regularly under my carb limit.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    my husband is vegan. he has been for 20 years. I am vegetarian. I will not become vegan. I see too much carbohydrates used which makes it easier to pile on the pounds. and cutting out dairy is a huge mistake. but well done on him for making that commitment

Why is cutting out dairy a huge mistake?
  • jmg000
    jmg000 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Carbs don't put on pounds. Too many calories put on pounds. I'd argue that it's easier to put on pounds with fatty foods over carby foods, since they have more calories per gram.

And why is cutting out dairy a "huge mistake"?
  • AoifeElmo
    AoifeElmo Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Carbs don't pack on pounds, eating too much of anything does. Anything you can get from Dairy you can get from plant based food (no bad cholesterol, no hormones, no pus particles, etc). I highly recommend the following documentaries to those interested in vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.

- Forks Over Knives
    - Food Matters
    - Unity
    - Cowspiracy
    - Earthlings
    - ( you can find these on Netflix or online)
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm also on the eating vegan for January band wagon. Really no meat, no dairy, no eggs, no cheese, no oil. Eating at home has been a breeze (I was already most of the way there) but eating out it challenging. We only go out maybe twice a week, once for breakfast or lunch and once for dinner but I've been sble to be creative in ordering. Montana is not exactly vegan paradise. I think I will stick to it for the most part going forward except when I am a guest of others and then I will just do the best I can. Most people make an effort to accommodate me so I can reciprocate by making an effort to be gracious.
  • happytexan0223
    happytexan0223 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian that eats vegan most of the time: low on dairy and cheese. I have found it so much easier to lose weight as a vegetarian than as a meat eater. I believe it to be a superior way of eating. :)
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    anamarta76 wrote: »
    I am a vegetarian trying to go vegan, but it's quite hard. I have reduced animal based products as much as possible, but it's very hard to cut completely greek yogurt, eggs and cheese. I managed to reduce cheese but sometimes I need some halloumi, paneer or feta in my recipes.

I replaced milk with almond or cashew milk (unsweetened) and any creme fraiche, single or double cream with soya single cream. Instead of butter I use olive or coconut oil. But the greek yogurt and eggs are near impossible for me to give up (for reasons of taste).

Have you tried nondairy yogurt such as soy or coconut? Also you can make or buy non dairy cheeses there's even a book! The uncheeze book and some good recipes in vegetarian times.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have been vegetarian for the last couple weeks, making the switch to vegan, I am very excited and really looking forward to it.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    I have revisited this after watching earthlings and I cannot bare the thought of what the animals endure
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Isn't vegan more of a lifestyle change? no leather jackets leather boots belts etc. Basically anything that involves killing animals or am I wrong?

Nope... you're right.