Please respond Activity Tracker????

Options
Fitbit, Jawbone, Garmin, Polar, or new Underarmour? Would love feed back before making this big purchase! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit charge HR. My husband won it in a contest. I like it. I mainly use steps/activity. If I paid I would have bought something less expensive. It is fun, though. It links to mfp and I have friends to challenge.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex...took a couple of weeks to figure out the syncing and lights, but now that I have, I love mine. Very enlightening to realize how much/little one moves...also the sleep feature is awesome if you have sleep issues. It literally tells you approx. what times you were restless each nite, what time you got up....how many minutes you were awake...again, very enlightening!
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I picked up a Garmin VivoFit at one of the Black Friday sales... most pleased with my $50 purchase. It monitors my steps, sleep and basic activity and it has a simple to use interface that sync's data with MFP. The device is slim, water-resistant and the band is light and sleek, I wear it 24/7 and forget it is on my wrist. They even offer extra bands in various color options. I love my purchase...
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 different fitness trackers and here's my review as a runner, a cyclist and lifter of heavy things.

Fitbit Flex: I was super excited about this when I got it. I loved the data that it provided (steps & sleep mostly). I soon became frustrated when I was being shorted mileage because it didn't count my steps on the stairmill at the gym, calorie burns for strength training were estimated and I realized that I really wanted more data. More data with this device would mean that I would need to get a heart rate monitor (HRM) and additional device. I did appreciate that it synced to MFP & that allowed for a single pane of glass for all my data. I hated having to charge it every week and the longer I had it the faster the battery seemed to wear down.

Garmin Vivofit: LOVED this device. Wore it for over year and the battery never wore out. This device tracks steps, sleep, syncs to a HRM and MFP and offers a digital read out on your wrist. I was pumped that I was finally getting real heart rate data from ALL of my training activities. I can't say a lot bad about this device. The downfall of the this device really was that it wasn't back lit so you couldn't see it at night. It's profile is also a little chunky... it's not a "sleek" device but it's also not a giant running watch so there's that. For the price point- it's a pretty awesome thing (I got the wristband and HRM for <$100 on amazon). I discovered that Garmin offers a cycling kit and this device didn't work with it so I opted to change devices.

Garmin vivosmart: This one is new to me (I've had it less than a month). This device tracks steps, sleep, syncs to a HRM, cycling kit, MFP and your smart phone. I'm digging it for the most part. The HRM & Cycling kits give me MOAR DATA (as this is clearly a trend for me). I really enjoy having my smart phone on my wrist more than I thought I would. I disabled most of the notifications (as you can get email, text, calls, Facebook etc...) because your wrist buzzes when they come across and I get a lot of emails. I really really really REALLY like that it allows me to control my music (on the phone, streaming from pandora or spotify) from my wrist instead of fumbling around with my armband while I'm running. I also like that I check texts/calls that I get while I'm at the gym without having to dismantle my armband. I dislike that if you're too far from your phone the wristband buzzes to tell you you've lost connection and if you're just near enough but still too far away for a decent connection it will buzz all the effing time while it tries to stay connected to the bluetooth (SUPER annoying). The app for this one is really clean though and I really like the dashboard. Charging it is lame. It lasts about 7 days and needs a charge, so far I've only realized it needs a charge because it dies... The profile is much cleaner than the vivofit and the screen is back lit. It also has the gentle vibrating alarm that the Flex had which I REALLY like.

All in all I think I'm the most happy with the vivosmart and the price point was good ($129 + the cycling kit). My advice as I've searched for these is to be aware that the HR tracking in the wrist device is not going to be as accurate as a chest strap (which still has its flaws). If that is important to you keep that in mind. You don't have to spend a small fortune to get something that works effectively. Just figure out what it is you do, what numbers are important to you and go from there.

If it's any help I also just picked up 2 Misfit Shines for my in-laws (they've been oggling my fitness trackers) they are comparable to the Flex in ability (with a couple more features- like the face is a watch too), they look really nice (more watch than fitness tracker) and the I found them online for $49.00 each which is a GREAT price point for a starter device. Hope this helps!! :)
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit Flex for everyday wear because you can buy more fashionable bracelets for it to fit in, so I don't have to walk around in professional dress with rubber band around my arm. It helps me remember to get up and move, take a walk, etc. via tracking of steps. For running, I use the Fitbit Surge with GPS and HeartRate monitor, and I love that it not only tracks my run on the map, logs 1 mile splits, tracks heartrate, etc., but it also syncs with the same fitbit account as my Flex. So if I do a workout with the Surge, then put on the Flex for work, it just adds it all together on the same dashboard, so I've got my activity totals all in one place.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivosmart as well and love it.
    I'm sooo glad I got it because I was really overestimating how many calories I burned from exercise (so now I know why I've plateaued). The sleep tracking is really cool, I like the move bar that reminds you that you've been sitting too long. It seems really accurate with the steps and calories burned ( I can't see it being too far off from a chest strap).
    I agree, the charging cable is lame but I know it needs charging because the little battery symbol just popped up so I will charge it while I'm in the shower after my workout (it charges quickly). I like the alarm in the morning too. I don't have it connected to my iphone bc it won't work on iOS7 but I just sync it occasionally throughout the day with my tablet and it works well. It syncs well with MFP too.
    I don't run but do Elliptical and Yoga and walking the dog etc. When you reach your step goal for the day it gives you a little reward, which is cute. Oh yeah, it's also waterproof. Love it!