17 Day Diet

Options
kdmoor2
kdmoor2 Posts: 11 Member
edited January 2016 in Challenges
Finding success with this diet! Started Sunday, and eating about 1200 calories daily. Feel pretty full most of the time and would love some support. Who's in?

CW: 179 (down 2 lbs in 4 days!) GW: 160

Replies

• kdmoor2
    Options
    There are cycles you go through, you can research online. You start with very low carb intake - high protein, then move to introducing healthy carb choices every 17 days. There are 4 cycles, and lots of info online! But the book is super helpful. Here's a link for grocery lists and more details:
    http://17ddblog.com/food-lists/cycle-1/
  • catherine_b
    catherine_b Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm interested!
  • msadomingo512
    msadomingo512 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also interested
  • jacquelineljohnson64
    Options
    I just started today
  • kdmoor2
    Options
    Alright then, let's do this! I feel great after 5 days. I do have compromises:
    I put chia seeds in my greek yogurt - it's non fat with pretty crappy flavor and textures haha
    I don't like low-fat cheese (extra chemicals and processing) so I stick to full fat but tiny portions.
    And I have mini-Ghiradhelli a day -- sue me.
    I am not a fan of meat - so I do substitute Tofu occasionally. Dr. Moreno has approved this substitute on his site (he's the creator).

Meal planning! I have my tracking public if anyone wants to see what I eat daily feel free.

The 17 day link above is great if you don't want to buy the book. Here are some rules for your first 17 days:
    * Hot lemon water every morning upon waking.
    * Green tea after every meal.
    * 2 servings of a probiotic food a day (yogurt, kefer, miso soup) -- I do yogurt only and only 1 serving, it's tough!
    * 2 servings of fruit a day BEFORE 2pm
    * NO GRAINS or BREADS

• dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    ❤️
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm just starting cycle 2 today. I did cycle one beginning Dec 1, and lost 13.5 lbs. Then there was a break that included a birthday, Christmas at the relatives, several days vacationing in New Orleans, and New Year's Eve. So that added back 4 lbs. Did a second round of cycle 1 starting Jan 1 and lost another 10.5 lbs. I did the optional smoothie day yesterday. I have never had so much success with a plan before. It's easy to follow. It doesn't offend my common sense. I'm never hungry. I feel great. And I'm losing weight like crazy. Call me a 17DD fan. I started at 190 on 12/1. Weighed in this morning at 169.5. GW = 145.
  • kdmoor2
    Options
    I'm just starting cycle 2 today. I did cycle one beginning Dec 1, and lost 13.5 lbs. Then there was a break that included a birthday, Christmas at the relatives, several days vacationing in New Orleans, and New Year's Eve. So that added back 4 lbs. Did a second round of cycle 1 starting Jan 1 and lost another 10.5 lbs. I did the optional smoothie day yesterday. I have never had so much success with a plan before. It's easy to follow. It doesn't offend my common sense. I'm never hungry. I feel great. And I'm losing weight like crazy. Call me a 17DD fan. I started at 190 on 12/1. Weighed in this morning at 169.5. GW = 145.

That is AMAZING!!!! So happy for you and so inspirational for sure. I had great success last week, but the weekend was VERY difficult. Can you offer some tips on staying loyal to the 17DD on weekends? I had 3 meals this weekend that I would certainly consider cheat meals!
    - Saturday -- Dimsum
    - Sunday -- Cheesecake factory apps and salad AND a vodka tonic (I know, super naughty)
    - Monday -- chicken and brie panini with onion rings

I could have been better, but I'm not perfect ha. And today I am starting up again. Luckily I didn't gain any from the week lost, but I just have a hard time staying dedicated with the weekends. I'm so used to having a "cheat day".
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    One helpful thing is that I had a diet buddy, so we helped keep each other on track. The other was a bit of a mantra -- I can do anything for 17 days. Listen to the conversation in your head when you're considering a cheat meal-- I have learned that these are the same arguments that stop me everywhere in life (exercise, submitting a resume, etc). Don't listen to them. They're not your friends.

You could maybe promise yourself a cheat day in between cycles. It does help to have something to look forward to. :)

For me, I just got tired of being on this endless (years, and years) quest for weight loss, up and down, over and over, and just yanked my own chain and sucked it up. Cheating is not an option-and that personal tough love is working for me.

Keep going. Even if you cheat, don't let that completely derail you. Each new moment is a clean slate.
  • Ezzmie
    Ezzmie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did cycles 1 through 3 last year then over the holidays kinda lost my way - gained a few pounds over that time but January 1st am back at it and happy to report that I'm 22 pounds down!

I love this program - it has been the only thing to work for me. I just started cycle 2 and things are going well. This past week I've been giving in to having a piece of dark chocolate almost everyday but it's about the big picture and so I don't really worry about the 'cheats' - just stick to the program as much as possible.

I would highly recommend reading the book as it really gives you a big picture and also the science behind the plan.

Glad to find people on MFP that are on the 17DD - if you want recipe ideas there are loads on Pintrest and also the 17ddblog has some good pointers.
  • sane_again
    sane_again Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started on C1 today. We've had great success with the 17 DD in the past, but haven't been motivated for the past 18 months. I'm totally ready to get healthy and feel better again! Glad to find y'all here!
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Options
    I'm on day 8 of C2 now, and the weight loss has definitely slowed way down. Not sure why, but I'm not deterred. I suspect it has something to do with the lack of elimination. That's been the case since the very beginning. The transitional day includes fiber, and that totally worked, but almost nothing since then. I think I'll start adding a fiber drink in most mornings to keep things moving.

Ezzmie, that's great success!
    Good luck sane_again.
    kdmoor2, how's it going for you?
  • TurboTam
    TurboTam Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this! I'm excited to start something that works without driving me insane! I need to do some more research and go grocery shopping.
  • kdmoor2
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I love this diet, but having a hard time with not cheating with chocolate. I know I need to keep repeating " i can do anything for 17 days". I stopped bringing healthy snacks and meal planning which is a big NO NO, I know that's where the success is going to be! Happy your are doing so well and slow down shmowdown!
  • Ezzmie
    Options
    @Curiousgeorgianna thanks. I've found that with C2 the weight loss has slowed down also but I think it's too be expected. To loose the weight like we do on C1 for any longer than the 17 days would probably not be healthy in the long run. Slow and steady from here on out. It's about lifestyle changes - and I think the fiber thrown into a smoothie is a good idea. Whatever helps.
  • Ezzmie
    Options
    @kdmoor2 I can't stop the chocolate either - just opt for the darkest chocolate that'll satisfy that craving.
  • sane_again
    Options
    Ezzmie wrote: »
    I did cycles 1 through 3 last year then over the holidays kinda lost my way - gained a few pounds over that time but January 1st am back at it and happy to report that I'm 22 pounds down!

I love this program - it has been the only thing to work for me. I just started cycle 2 and things are going well. This past week I've been giving in to having a piece of dark chocolate almost everyday but it's about the big picture and so I don't really worry about the 'cheats' - just stick to the program as much as possible.

I would highly recommend reading the book as it really gives you a big picture and also the science behind the plan.

Glad to find people on MFP that are on the 17DD - if you want recipe ideas there are loads on Pintrest and also the 17ddblog has some good pointers.
    I'm on day 8 of C2 now, and the weight loss has definitely slowed way down. Not sure why, but I'm not deterred. I suspect it has something to do with the lack of elimination. That's been the case since the very beginning. The transitional day includes fiber, and that totally worked, but almost nothing since then. I think I'll start adding a fiber drink in most mornings to keep things moving.

Ezzmie, that's great success!
    Good luck sane_again.
    kdmoor2, how's it going for you?

• sane_again
    Options
    So far so good, Curious! Day 5 and feeling good. My biggest problem is lack of calories. I know counting calories isn't part of this diet, but I find it keeps me more accountable. I have odd work hours and sometimes have to go 4-6 hours without eating. Makes it hard to even hit 1000 calories on C1.
  • kdmoor2
    Options
    sane_again wrote: »
    So far so good, Curious! Day 5 and feeling good. My biggest problem is lack of calories. I know counting calories isn't part of this diet, but I find it keeps me more accountable. I have odd work hours and sometimes have to go 4-6 hours without eating. Makes it hard to even hit 1000 calories on C1.

Try counting the oils you use when you're cooking your proteins, condiments and things like that are what help me hit the calorie goals! And you'd be surprised how much a cup or a portion really is when you use a scale or serving sizers! I always over estimate as I know I usually am eating more than a serving.
  • sane_again
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try that!