Gaining Weight while Working Out

Options
mraq93
mraq93 Posts: 12 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,
I've been working out 3 days a week at the gym and walking up hills on the off days. I'm breastfeeding, so I'm eating about 2,000 calories. I'm 5'11 and 175 pounds. I have about ten pounds to lose.
I have been doing what I think is interval training. 8 stations. 1 minute weights. 1 minute cardio. Repeat twice before switching stations. With my HRM, I'm burning around 500 calories. 45 minutes with warmup and cool down. Is this the correct type of exercise to be doing if I want to be losing weight? I keep seeing the scale creep up each week. This is week 6.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit

Are you using a food scale to weigh your solids and measuring cups to measure your liquids.
  • mraq93
    Options
    I use a measuring cup for liquids. I don't weigh my food on a scale, though.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    OK let's start there then.
    While I believe 2000 per day is appropriate for you , you could be over estimating because your not using a food scale. For accuracy, using a food scale is a good idea.
    When I finally learned how to weigh and log ( its harder then it sounds ) I realized that I was eating about 600 cals more per day then I had measured. Measuring cups are for liquids . solids are for the scale.
    Walmart sells them for about $13. Its really a good idea. There's no way to really tell if your at a deficit or not unless you can get as accurate as possible with your food scale.

Also, are you possibly retaining water ? Has this been a sudden gain or did it happen gradually?
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    @diannethegeek do you have the chart created by Lionheart available? I think that plus some other links could be helpful to this op
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    Thanks @diannethegeek I'm on my cell phone so couldn't do it! You are 100% an asset to mfp !
  • mraq93
    Options
    Thank you!! I'll definitely get a food scale. The weight was rather sudden once I started working out. I was maintaining at 172 without logging or exercising. I know I'm eating less than before and have increased my activity greatly. I will definitely start weighing my food. I've also been wondering if breastfeeding is making it more difficult to lose.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    mraq93 wrote: »
    Thank you!! I'll definitely get a food scale. The weight was rather sudden once I started working out. I was maintaining at 172 without logging or exercising. I know I'm eating less than before and have increased my activity greatly. I will definitely start weighing my food. I've also been wondering if breastfeeding is making it more difficult to lose.

You have very little weight to lose, so it will take time. Lower your calories a bit, e.g. by 300 or so. And reevaluate the situation in a few weeks.
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with thorsmom, definitely weigh your food with a scale. you'd be surprised how many extra calories you can add without realizing it.