Can I lose 30 pounds by Memorial Day Weekend?!?!

Options
My goal is to lose at least 5-10 pounds each month until the end of May and then maintain it. I'm looking for support to get there and make me accountable for my goal. I don't like or have time for gym so I'm doing some workout on my exercise bike and step climber. Also, I'm trying to stay under 1200 calories daily which is very hard to do and there are days it is possible as well as days where I get off track. I want to do this for myself as I suffer from hypertension and would like to be as healthy as possible for my children. Last time I weighed my goal weight was in 2010 and that's my profile pic which I'm using as motivation.

Replies

• basilia1977
    basilia1977 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    p5ot9f3mvk3b.jpeg
  • basilia1977
    Options
    This is me today an extra 30 pounds :(
  • aj331
    aj331 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The most you should try losing in a week is 2 lbs. 8lbs a month would definitely get you to your goal! (:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is probably a more realistic/healthy/sustainable goal.
  • bthao7
    bthao7 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. It's the power of postivity.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    30 lbs. in four months is a lot for someone as close to your ideal weight as you are. But you can lose a lot by then, and more by the end of the summer. The important thing is to get started!
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree that you are closer to your ideal weight than you think so this is a lot to lose quickly, but get started and see what happens. Weighing less on memorial day than you do today is a win no matter the number.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going slower with the weight loss. There's no need to starve yourself to make it happen quickly. Try a pound a week, the weight will fluctuate a bit anyway and you may end up losing more some weeks over others. The best possible thing to do is learn healthy habits. You are going to be healthy if you decide to lose the weight no matter how slowly you take things for now. If you just start eating better, cutting calories a bit and moving more, you will on the right track.

If doesn't have to come off by memorial day to be healthy.
  • klg2138
    klg2138 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Depends on % body fat. If you're above 20% you could hit up to 2lb/week if you lift as well. If you're 25-30% body fat, you can easily lose 2lb/week. Anyone who's 30% body fat is probably eating way too many calorically dense foods that can easily be eliminated without affecting hunger.
  • clrug0912
    clrug0912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It may not be 30 exactly but you'll definitely be close to that and be happy you started! you can do it!
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    When you were at your goal weight in 2010, were you eating 1200 cals/day? How long did you maintain that goal weight?

You didn't give your stats (height/current weight) but unless you are a fairly petite woman, 1200 calories per day is awfully restrictive. There are two problems with eating so little:
    1. It's very hard to do and over time most people get frustrated and binge, or get discouraged and just give up.
    2. You are very likely to lose lean muscle mass as well as fat, which means that over time your body will burn fewer calories each day, which makes it more difficult to get to your goal weight, and to maintain once you get there.

[Aside: Yes, some women do just fine on 1200 for the long term, but those women are usually short and somewhat sedentary. Most women of average height and build, if they are at least somewhat active, don't succeed on 1200 calories per day.]

I would encourage you to figure out what you TDEE would be at your goal weight, and starting eating just under that (like 5% under) and plan to eat that forever (as in for the rest of your life or as long as you would like to maintain that given weight). In other words, try not to think of this a diet where you are going to lose as fast as you can for 3 months. Some people lose effectively that way, and are able to keep it off, but they are in the minority. Most regain at least part of what they lose immediately after they stop "dieting."

Also, I will tell you that the single thing that helped me the most was weightlifting. There are lots of women on here who do serious strength training (which can be done at home, with just body weight exercises), so look for those groups if you want help getting started.

Finally, if you are only 30 pounds overweight and you have hypertension, there are very likely to be some non-weight related factors at play, such as salt consumption, dietary choices (outside of number of calories), and genetics. I'm not saying losing weight won't help, just saying you might want to think about a more holistic approach if your goal really is to get your hypertension under control.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Don't try to stay 'under' 1200 calories. That is the bare minimum your body needs to function daily. Think of food as fuel. You give your car gas on a regular basis and you have to do the same for your body. Think better choices (fruits, veggies, lean protein, healthy fat, low-glycemic carbs). These will fuel your body and will be better for your blood pressure as well. 30lbs is a lot of weight and it can be done but for your health, you shouldn't put pressure on yourself to get it done in a certain amount of time. Walk, ride your bike, incorporate some lifting into your routine (lean muscle looks better on your body), don't concentrate on the scale and EAT. Good luck.
  • basilia1977
    Options
    I'm 38, 5'4" and weigh 169. I'm bigger below the waist and until 3 years ago after having my baby I had a flat tummy and because of the huge weight gain I now have a big belly which is what bothers me the most. I have a concert to go to on Valentine's Day with my bestfriends and it would be nice to feel good about my appearance by then.

• basilia1977
    Options
    I'm not a junk food eater but my mother in law lives with me and she's an amazing cook so it is hard to turn down her yummy meals.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    you can feel good about your appearance at any weight. Eating under 1200 cals is setting your self up for failure. Eat 1200-1500 and enjoy the journey. Healthy weight and living is not a race to have a finish by date. It is a long term goal and life style.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm 38, 5'4" and weigh 169. I'm bigger below the waist and until 3 years ago after having my baby I had a flat tummy and because of the huge weight gain I now have a big belly which is what bothers me the most. I have a concert to go to on Valentine's Day with my bestfriends and it would be nice to feel good about my appearance by then.

Valentine's day is three weeks away. You aren't going to do a significant amount safely and in a way you can maintain in thst short of a time. And if you are making a lifetime change a few more weeks/months aren't a big deal.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    You just need a deficit... Ditch the 1200. Aim for 500 less than you burn at your current weight, height & age. Eat back at least half of your exercise calories. Throw away the calendar! Start feeling strong & beautiful immediately! And why try to look like you did in 2010 when you can become 1000x more fabulous NOW!! xo