no sugar foods, what do you eat?

Options
Trying to cut back on the sugar. Fruit is okay but looking for different things, any suggestions? I'm buying sugar free pudding, jellow today. Tried sugar free chocolate chip cookies 2 days ago...Sorbitol kicked my *kitten*, literally. no good. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Fill up on lean protein, veggies & healthy fats! Little to no sugar in those!
  • nevakwitz
    nevakwitz Posts: 3
    Options
    they make sugar free fudge cycles (not really sure how to spell that)
    a diet i used to be on where sugar and carbs were a huge no-no, allows a little reduced fat peanut butter mixed with sugar free fudge pop (after softening in microwave) you can add sugar free cool whip and mix it all up and re-freeze. not too bad if u like peanut butter. not sure of the counts of everything though.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a natural herb and I love it. I can't use refined sugar at all or it's migraine city. I use honey, agave, real maple syrup and I can take things with evaporated cane sugar.

If it's just a matter of reducing your sugar intake just because, I would suggest picking your foods carefully. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains and lean meats kind of stuff but the occasional treat go for the real stuff you'll do less damage.

But if you're a diabetic or someone like me who can't digest refined sugar, then there are options. You'll really have to play around with the sweeteners and see which ones you tolerate and which ones you don't.
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Try sugar free popsicles, or frozen yogurt. There is also a lot of sugar free chocolates and candy if you are looking to fulfill your sweet tooth.
  • Tafentress
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back on chocolate!!! It keeps calling me wherever I go...:sad:
  • jenite
    jenite Posts: 2
    Options
    Hmm. This is a tricky one, especially if you have a hard time with sugar chemical substitutes. I am a HUGE fan of the sugar-free Jell-o pudding in White Chocolate flavor. I think it is really amazing. Have you considered baking things for yourself that are sugar-free or very low in sugar? My dad is diabetic so I have a lot of tired, tested, and approved recipes if you are at all interested. I myself have a huge sweet tooth which has been my biggest challenge since starting on this site. Good Luck!
  • rinangel
    rinangel Posts: 35
    Options
    for a really good pasta sauce, dont use the ready made spaghetti sauces, use crushed tomatos with basil and oregano. My kids love it this way and it makes pasta taste better.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I try to snack on whole foods like fruit and nuts, but once in a while...

I like about 1/3 c. sugar free cool whip with cashews or peanuts or a little melted (no sugar added) peanut butter; it's amazing.

I get sugar free fudge bars from Schwan's that are 50 calories each, or weight watchers fudge bars or Aldi's store brand comparable product of the same. They're 110 and 100 calories respectively.
  • jocelynlewis
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back on chocolate!!! It keeps calling me wherever I go...:sad:

Agree!:)
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Be careful, when you buy sugar freer fat free products the sodium levels are usually through the roof!!
    I'm sure you don't want to replace your sugar with salt... :)
  • InStabilityKills
    Options

I feel the same about Soda!! Except I am trying to to quit it all together!
  • mammado11
    mammado11 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yeah, be careful with too much sugar free candies and cookies, they work like a laxative!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Trying to cut back on the sugar. Fruit is okay but looking for different things, any suggestions? I'm buying sugar free pudding, jellow today. Tried sugar free chocolate chip cookies 2 days ago...Sorbitol kicked my *kitten*, literally. no good. Any suggestions?

Judging by the things listed you are looking for 'sweets' without sugar, rather than foods in general (veggies, meat) without sugar, correct. Personally I try to avoid too many artificial sweeteners, but if you don't see that as a problem then there are many options available. Just be sure to read the label because sugar free doesn't mean calorie free. But I would suggest trying smaller amounts of natural sugars such as honey or maple syrup. These have a much sweeter taste than table sugar so just a little can often take the edge off a sugar craving.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    they make sugar free fudge cycles (not really sure how to spell that)
    a diet i used to be on where sugar and carbs were a huge no-no, allows a little reduced fat peanut butter mixed with sugar free fudge pop (after softening in microwave) you can add sugar free cool whip and mix it all up and re-freeze. not too bad if u like peanut butter. not sure of the counts of everything though.

this sounds REALLY good! gonna have to steal it :wink:
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Stevia is a natural herb and I love it. I can't use refined sugar at all or it's migraine city. I use honey, agave, real maple syrup and I can take things with evaporated cane sugar.

If it's just a matter of reducing your sugar intake just because, I would suggest picking your foods carefully. Eat lots of fruits and veggies and whole grains and lean meats kind of stuff but the occasional treat go for the real stuff you'll do less damage.

But if you're a diabetic or someone like me who can't digest refined sugar, then there are options. You'll really have to play around with the sweeteners and see which ones you tolerate and which ones you don't.

I have seen stevia in liquid form and in packets, which is better? or which do you prefer?
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you're going without sugary food.. stick with the natural stuff.
    Surprisingly, the sugar in carrots tends to ease my cravings and is really good for you! All natural peanut butter (just ground up peanuts) on celery is awesome and has no sugar with all the protein and healthy unsaturated fats your body needs to operate.
    Don't forget lots of cinnamon to regulate your blood sugar and keep the cravings to a minimum!
  • nevakwitz
    nevakwitz Posts: 3
    Options
    also a favorite of mine would be strawberries, put chocolate flavored stevia in the middle of strawberry, then dip strawberry in vanilla powder. it's more of an aquired taste, i think, but i love it now and keep stock of it all as often as i can. :) there is sugar in it, but can't recall how much right this second. :flowerforyou:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    This site may be of interest to you; I just found it....
    sugar free / gluten free recipes

www.healthyindulgences.net
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I have seen stevia in liquid form and in packets, which is better? or which do you prefer?

It's really hard for me to get the liquid form around here. I use stevia in the raw as it's just the dried leaves powdered up without the stems and veins for the best and sweetest flavor. A single packet sweetens my tea just fine or if I cold steep it a single packet will do the whole quart jar. I do know the liquid form is a lot more condensed so a couple drops go a long way. I haven't ever tried baking with stevia though as it's very expensive where I live and only offered in the packets. I don't feel like tearing up 40 packages just to make cookies or whatever.
  • mandaface415
    mandaface415 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't have recipe, but I'm sure you could Google one for brownies made with refried beans place of oil.. all the fiber you need, and no bean test ;)