Gyming 6 days a week

Options
Ok so my work out is

Warm up- Treadmill - 15 mins ( 5 mins gradient 5 - 5 mins gradient 10 - 5 mins gradient 15) on easy pace

Cardio
Rower- 1500km level 10
Bike - 3 miles level 3/4
Resistance training 3 sets of 10-15 reps
(16)Lat Pulldown - 30kg
(33) chess press - 20kg
Leg press - 50 kg
(22)cable row - 20kg
(34) shoulder press - 10kg -
Lunges with Dumbbells( 4kg)
Squats with kettle bell (4kg)

My first week I lost 4 lbs
Weighed myself my second week and I've put on 1lbs ,

I've been in the gym 6 days a week having a Sunday off since starting
How is this possible? Any advised would be great. I don't know if I have mabe been estimating my calories wrong but waiting on my food scales coming but I have reduced my food intake.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    First off, you should do resistance training before cardio. Are your resistance training exercises done in that order? I would highly recommend getting on a structure program, that routine doesn't look very structured to me. If not I would almost do the exercises in reverse order as you have them listed, but it would be much much better to get on a real program.. Also, how many calories are you estimating you're eating every day? 2 weeks is not enough to judge if you're in a proper deficit or not. how often are you weighing yourself?
  • nonrg
    nonrg Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and what is My Fitness Pal giving you per day?

• Leighuno
    Leighuno Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    First off, you should do resistance training before cardio. Are your resistance training exercises done in that order? I would highly recommend getting on a structure program, that routine doesn't look very structured to me. If not I would almost do the exercises in reverse order as you have them listed, but it would be much much better to get on a real program.. Also, how many calories are you estimating you're eating every day? 2 weeks is not enough to judge if you're in a proper deficit or not. how often are you weighing yourself?

Ok thanks for that , fitness instructor never told me that when he gave me my program, would I still do my warm up on the treadmill though then resistance training? I weighed myself every Monday. I'm estimating in eating around 1500-1700 per day.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Too much of the wrong type of cardio. Do a 20 minute "Sprint 8" HIIT program once or twice a week. On your OTHER days pump iron 30 mins (two to three times depending on intensity).
  • Leighuno
    Options
    nonrg wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating and what is My Fitness Pal giving you per day?

My fitness plan is giving me 1780 to eat per day but my calculations I'm eating between 1500-1700 per day.
  • galgenstrick
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ceriunokan wrote: »

Ok thanks for that , fitness instructor never told me that when he gave me my program, would I still do my warm up on the treadmill though then resistance training? I weighed myself every Monday. I'm estimating in eating around 1500-1700 per day.

No reason to warm up on the treadmill. Sounds like you should find a new fitness instructor. You want to warm up by doing lighter weights on the exercises you are about to perform, that is the safest and best way to warm up.

As for weighting yourself. Your weight can fluctuate a large amount day to day from water retention. One good way to do it is weigh yourself every morning after going to the bathroom, and average your weight over a week. Do that again, and compare the average to the last weeks average. You are looking for trends, rather than at day to day fluctuations. If you can limit your sodium intake you can reduce some of the big weight jumps, but it's not absolutely necessary, just something to keep in mind.
  • Leighuno
    Options

Ok thanks for that , fitness instructor never told me that when he gave me

No reason to warm up on the treadmill. Sounds like you should find a new fitness instructor. You want to warm up by doing lighter weights on the exercises you are about to perform, that is the safest and best way to warm up.

As for weighting yourself. Your weight can fluctuate a large amount day to day from water retention. One good way to do it is weigh yourself every morning after going to the bathroom, and average your weight over a week. Do that again, and compare the average to the last weeks average. You are looking for trends, rather than at day to day fluctuations. If you can limit your sodium intake you can reduce some of the big weight jumps, but it's not absolutely necessary, just something to keep in mind.

Ok I'm new to all this so still learning, do you mean all my resistance training start of with a couple of sets of lighter weights then do what's in my plan? Thanks
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Leighuno wrote: »
    Ok so my work out is

Warm up- Treadmill - 15 mins ( 5 mins gradient 5 - 5 mins gradient 10 - 5 mins gradient 15) on easy pace

Cardio
    Rower- 1500km level 10
    Bike - 3 miles level 3/4
    Resistance training 3 sets of 10-15 reps
    (16)Lat Pulldown - 30kg
    (33) chess press - 20kg
    Leg press - 50 kg
    (22)cable row - 20kg
    (34) shoulder press - 10kg -
    Lunges with Dumbbells( 4kg)
    Squats with kettle bell (4kg)

My first week I lost 4 lbs
    Weighed myself my second week and I've put on 1lbs ,

I've been in the gym 6 days a week having a Sunday off since starting
    How is this possible? Any advised would be great. I don't know if I have mabe been estimating my calories wrong but waiting on my food scales coming but I have reduced my food intake.

Could be water weight from starting a new workout or your guesstimating your portions.

Weight loss happens in the kitchen, you can't out-exercise a bad "diet".

• galgenstrick
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Leighuno wrote: »

Ok thanks for that , fitness instructor never told me that when he gave me

Ok I'm new to all this so still learning, do you mean all my resistance training start of with a couple of sets of lighter weights then do what's in my plan? Thanks

I would pick a structure and proven program. If it's a good program, it will give you warmup sets, deload weeks, and all the other good stuff you need to conciser. If your goal is to get as strong as possible as fast as possible, then pick one of the first 2. If your goal is to get strong and have a great body composition, pick one of the second 2. You'll notice a commonality between all 4 programs though; They focus on heavy compound movements and progressive tension overload (increasing the weights over time).

Here are some programs
    starting strength
    stronglifts 5x5
    new rules of lifting for women
    thinner leaner stronger
  • Onhowtobelovely
    Onhowtobelovely Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think you need to get a different program. Doing the same thing 6 days a week in addition to being boring is not giving your muscles a chance to recover and grow. The ones galgenstrick suggested are all great, check them out.