Not enough fat in diet

Options
goldenglow90
goldenglow90 Posts: 44 Member
edited January 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have started a dairy free diet to see if it will help with my psoriasis but the problem is, since giving up dairy, I am struggling to get enough fat in my diet. I am getting around 15-20% of calories from fat. I do eat oily fish sometimes but mostly chicken or beef with dinner. On the weekends it's better as I can cook an omelette for lunch, but during the week I have a pack up. I have almonds on my cereal and drink almond milk. I do eat some nuts but not a massive fan. I do also take 3000mg evening primrose oil. Is this enough since I take the supplement? What other fatty foods can I have which are not high in carbs also?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    from what you listed, that should be a whole lot more than 15-20% of your calories. How many grams of protein and carbs do you eat every day?
  • nonrg
    nonrg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Avocado, peanut butter and olive oil are my main sources of healthy fat
  • goldenglow90
    Options
    I don't really look at grams but generally its 15-20% fat, 60-65% carbs and 20-25% protein. I think my diary is open. (Ps, I don't like nut butters, although I do have a dairy free version of Nutella, also it contains sugar too so negates the fat content when looking at proportions).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You don't cook any of your meats with with olive oil? It is basically down to cheese, seeds, nuts, nut butters, oils (olive, coconut, etc..). Do you cook any of your meats with oil?

No diary and looking for "healthy" only def rules out bacon... LOL
  • goldenglow90
    edited January 2016
    Options
    And cheese! That's where I have lost a lot of my fat intake from, and no, I don't cook my meat in oil. The beef cooks in its own fat and I use a 1cal sunflower spray for chicken and omelettes, since it's only 1cal, I don't log it
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd up my protein goal and fill the gap with red meat.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Avocado's, coconuts (or coconut milk/oil), seeds. You could also use/increase polyunsaturated oils (these are essential fats) in your cooking.
  • goldenglow90
    Options
    Since I take a pack up for lunch, how would you suggest adding more red meat?
  • goldenglow90
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Avocado's, coconuts (or coconut milk/oil), seeds. You could also use/increase polyunsaturated oils (these are essential fats) in your cooking.
    I don't eat avocados or seeds. I do like coconut but again the sugar content in fruits doesn't help
  • nonrg
    nonrg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Since nut butters and avocado are a no go I would look into flax or hemp seed (blend them in a shake) and maybe coconut or olive oil
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Coconut Oil, and Macadamia Nut Oil added to smoothies is great!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Eat more oily fish. Salmon. It also comes in a can you can take for lunch.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Eat more real butter. Not margarine. Some people even put it in their coffee (I've tried it, it tastes pretty good, but I don't really drink coffee). Microwaving a tablespoon of butter in a shot glass and drizzling it on whatever you are eating (especially veggies) works very to get a quick dose of fat in your diet.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    20% seems sufficient already. Not sure how much you want to increase it but you can get it from nuts, avocados and coconut oil.