Is this something you look at when buying meat, etc?

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Not really, no. Nothing wrong if you do that, but I've never been concerned about it and I'm fine. Organic and grass fed and other buzz words like that mean you'll pay a lot more for them. Some people swear they taste different, I've never noticed it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The thought of animals spending most of their lives on factory farms makes me sad, so I look for indicators that they were not, which includes grass-fed. However, "grass-fed" can be synonymous with "really expensive" so I look more for things like Certified Humane. All the supermarkets near me carry meat with this label. Also, I belong to a food coop and we periodically go in on a cow that was grass fed by a local farmer.

From your link:

...Grass-Fed:

...The American Grassfed Association (AGA) and the USDA have different standards for their beef. In short, the USDA defines grass fed as ruminant animals (grazing animals with 4 stomachs) fed only their mother's milk followed by grass and forage (grass, vegetation, hay, grains in unprocessed form, etc) from weaning to harvest with no confinement during the growing season. The AGA decided this was too narrow of a definition, as it still allows the animals to be pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, and fed GMO forage. The AGA feels many consumers who care about grass fed beef would also care about other junk being given to the animal, and I quite agree. So, the AGA takes that definition and expands it to include no confinement ever, no hormones or antibiotics, and animals who were born and raised in the USA. (Source.) Food Alliance also has a similar grass-fed definition to the AGA. - See more at: http://blog.tynerpondfarm.com/blog/elizabeth-edwards/grass-fed-organic,-or-all-natural-popular-food-buzz-words-you-need-to-know#sthash.41wRLE9t.dpuf
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Generally not, because as the piece points out a lot of those terms are misleading (like free range) or mean basically nothing (like natural). I also tend to buy conventional (non organic) produce when buying in the grocery store and don't care about GMO (although people think a bunch more stuff is GMO than the reality).

However, I do like to support local farms, eat seasonally (when possible), and know where my meat comes from, and I have a slight bias toward grass-fed beef, as I think that model is more environmentally sustainable, better for the cattle, and has a slight advantage (but not a big one) in terms of the fat profile of the resulting meat. This is an easy bias for me to have, since I get most of my meat (other than fish) from a small local farm, as well as my eggs, that does pasture the animals. I'm not 100% consistent, in that I buy cottage cheese from the supermarket.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Not at all.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I thought it was an interesting read. Sometimes people can get overwhelmed with all the "buzz words" and trying to figure out what is what
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    "Lean" is pretty much the only word I *require.
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Too expensive for me to be that picky. Wish I could be, however, sometimes.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about GMO, but I try to get beef with no hormones or antibiotics and pasture raised when I can find it.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Factory farmed animals have a lot of toxins and junk in their fat. Grass fed animals are generally happier (YAY BETTER TASTING MEAT) and don't have all that gunk added to their feed, which ends up in you.

It is more expensive and if it's not an option for you, get the lean cuts and trim any fat (fat is good, but not from factory farmed animals). If you have access to the organic grass fed frolicking in meadows sort of meat, nom it happily and with little worry.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Calories, price, date are my priorities.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »
    Factory farmed animals have a lot of toxins and junk in their fat. Grass fed animals are generally happier (YAY BETTER TASTING MEAT) and don't have all that gunk added to their feed, which ends up in you.

It is more expensive and if it's not an option for you, get the lean cuts and trim any fat (fat is good, but not from factory farmed animals). If you have access to the organic grass fed frolicking in meadows sort of meat, nom it happily and with little worry.

LOL. Please to name these "toxins"

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm not paying crazy prices for meat, so nope.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Calories, price, date are my priorities.

ditto that
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options

LOL. Please to name these "toxins"

And explain "Happier"...
  • JimKeegan555
    JimKeegan555 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    "Lean" is pretty much the only word I *require.

I've read that after cooking and draining meat is basically "lean"... I may have been reading pseudoscience but it makes sense to me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I would love to buy grass fed as I believe those animals are treated more humanely, but due to the expense I very rarely do. Otherwise, most of the other terms are pretty meaningless in my opinion. So basically I'm saying my ethics are easily over-ridden by financial concerns :tongue:
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to any of it. I would love to buy meat from animals that lived a happy life before I eat them, but even the hint of that on a package makes it way more expensive. I can barely afford regular hamburger anymore. I remember when it was the cheap meat at $0.99/lb. I'm feeding 7 people & price is the most important factor in my grocery shopping decisions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

how does a happier animal taste better other than giving you a good conscious about it?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I just like to make sure its not moving.