This is getting expensive :(

Options
13»

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You're right! I was mostly wearing 14's (getting a little tight), so at about 2 months and 15-20 pounds down I figured I could buy size 12 trousers and ride them down almost to goal weight, which I figured would be 6 more months or so. Now, less than a month later, the size 12's are already getting baggy (size inflation on the manufacturers' part?), and I hadn't even gotten all the pants hemmed!

My tailor told me that, as a rule, every 10 pounds is one dress size for women. So 20 pounds down is 2 sizes! I kept all my really nice clothes and had them tailored down when I got to my goal weight last year. It was much less expensive than buying the same quality new.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm glad I love thrift stores! I can buy a new wardrobe and when it stops fitting in a couple months, I can re-donate =)
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I know that I'm going to need new clothes soon. I also just splurged on some new sports bras (but I really, really needed those) and a HRM (didn't exactly "need" it, but I love it). I've also been buying workout dvds and such. I bought a Fitbit back in Feb, too. So many gadgets! But like someone else said, this is all money that I'll never have to spend on BP meds, hospital visits, extra seats on the plane, etc etc. It's a trade off! But we're definitely getting the better end of the trade.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Exactly why I haven't bought much clothing since losing the weight. I will buy a shirt here or there which isnt much but other than that good thing I have old pants that I kept over the years that I now fit in. They are starting to get loose on me but I wear a belt :) I so want to go shopping for new clothes but I feel its a waste since Im only half way to my goal and we are a family of 6 so I dont have much to go shopping anyways. I plan to get some things from the thrift shops since you can find some nice things for cheap. How ever I did buy me some new sports bras since my old ones were getting too loose. guess thats a good thing:) The undies.. are another story lol.
  • PaisleyLotus
    PaisleyLotus Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    People usually forget that they can get their clothes tailored. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new ones! AND KUDOS on your loss!!!!!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Well you can always try second hand stuff for now. You can sometimes find some really nice stuff! Congrats on meeting your goal weight but I can understand the expensive part. That is what happened to me when I gained all my weight so fast!

And I am sure you know to look for the sales....sales are always a bonus!! :)

This! And see if they'll let you trade in your old clothes for store credit. I did this with my son's clothes at a children's resale store. I didn't have to "pay" for clothes until he was almost 2!
  • cthomps
    cthomps Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is not cheap that's for sure!! Congrats on hitting your goal!! Several of my friends are trying to share some items of clothing - gets to big on one and hands off to another. Works for some things but not all, but it does help the pocketbook.
  • blueliss26
    blueliss26 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I got really lucky as my sister just lost some weight and gave me all her "fat" clothes... about 8 pairs of size 10 pants! I in turn have promised my 12s to a friend who is dropping weight and will be able to use them... it has worked out beautifully. Maybe you have some friends who have things sitting around they aren't using? If not... i agree with everyone else on here who has suggested thrift/consignment stores. The only new skinny clothes i have bought were from walmart, but i find i can get better quality stuff for less at the salvation army, because the brands are better, they can handle going through more than one person :o) My favorite jeans are salvo jeans :o)
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What about starting a thread for MFP members to either trade or sell their old clothes. Yes, that sounds liek a GREAT idea!! :) And congrats on reaching your goal. I cant WAIT to have this problem!
  • Revolutionwithin
    Revolutionwithin Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I went through the new clothes expense myself so I sympathize. When I lost weight (the first time around), I got shirts second hand and only bought two new pairs of pants. I found one pant with a button so that I could move the button over, and made sure everything had belt loops if it didn't have a button. I'm excited about being able to walk into a second hand store and shop at the medium section. I love vintage shopping!

The food expense is definately there too. That was what caused me to stop last time. I simply couldn't afford the foods that I needed, and ended up eating junk like cheap spaghetti and mac and cheese, breads etc. We had house layoff's and the stress and fiancial situation I just blew all my hard work. Things are better now so I'm ready to take on the world again. I wish you the best of luck in your journey.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Thats actually a little funny. Everytime I gained weight I had to buy new clothes and my fiance finaly told me no more! he quit buying me new clothes and one day I looked in teh mirror and told my self "Your Muffin Top is showing!" and that was it I decided I needed to fix this.... well that and I get new clothes when I lose weight lol and I will have a cloest of clothes that i can wear again lol Great job!
  • Rena421
    Rena421 Posts: 31
    Options
    Baggy clothing is a good problem to have! I'd much rather purchase a smaller size. Have you ever looked in thrift stores for clothing? When I gained some weight and didn't want to spend $50 on a pair of work pants, I found some awesome deals at the second hand store. You do have to look, but if you are lucky you will find close to brand new clothing. A lot of people buy clothing hoping to fit into it or decide that they don't like it. I hope that this helps.
  • weedlover
    weedlover Posts: 15
    Options
    put it on kijiji,,lol
    i did,,,,, a bigger woman got interested,,and i bought a bag 2 size smaller from a lady who actually lost enough to do the same,,,,,, you wont get all money back, but some, and plus, its a good feeling to know someone else will love them,, i love shopping, it never happen because i have kids, and other prioritys than trade mark clothing,,, love walmart,,lol fits all familly in there,,,, but, i just bought a bag full, like 2 pairs of jeans, 1 blazer, 1 spring jacket, 6-7 shirts, some blouses, dressy pants, and jammies, for like 30 bucks,,that will do me good until i loose 2 size more!!!!!!:O)
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You could sell the clothes that are too big now on ebay that way you'll get some money to put towards your new wardrobe!
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you! First it was the cycling class, then the personal trainer (expensive but worth it), then the new bike (oh boy). Then I had to get the shoes to wear with clipless pedals. Then a few months later, better pedals, and new shoes (need the old ones for spin bikes). Along the way, I have also acquired an expensive Under Armour habit.

Then I started doing longer distance cycling, which meant that I needed to get nutrition and hydration supplements.

After all that paid off, I had to buy 4 new pairs of pants for work. Fortunately, I had some older suits that I grew (shrank) back into.

In the end though, when my wife looks at me as if to check me out for the first time, it's all worth it.

Cheers!
  • grimnir
    grimnir Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's tough being broke when you're not used to it. Since I moved to Portland at the start of the recession, I've been in and out of ****ty jobs for three years, and it really doesn't help your finances any. I'm tall enough I have to wear tall sizes, and between that and still being fat I'm in a 3xlt, and will probably never be smaller than 2xlt, what with my barrel chest and all, especially if I start getting into lifting. I've been the same size for the whole time (just started dieting a month ago), but being broke and all that has made me more careful about the clothes I choose to purchase. Keeping your wardrobe limited is a damn good idea if you want to keep money in your pocket. The secret to making it work is just buying clothes you absolutely need and will want to wear in lots of situations. If you're really hard up, you can get away with working in an office with three dress shirts in white or blue (I avoid button-down collars, especially on white shirts, it's way classier), four t shirts or under shirts, a black suit jacket and matching pants, a hoodie and sweats for working out, a pair of khaki or grey pants (two if you can't wear jeans to work), a pair of jeans (two if you can wear jeans to work), 6 pairs of underwear and black socks, a swimsuit, a pair of black dress shoes, a pair of decent-looking brown boots, and trainers. You can pair the jacket with anything else you've got and look good, from fancy dress to super casual, you'll be able to go to interviews, weddings, and funerals, and you'll have just enough work clothes to get you through the week. Those are the basics, expand from there. That's all the clothes I had in my size when I moved here, and I've made it work.

I think you can usually get away with having your suit pants too large-- they often have pleats anyway and will naturally drape in reasonably attractive vertical folds, so if you're really broke, get the jacket taken in before the pants. If you keep it simple and classy, you will also have an easier time finding cheap clothes. Don't worry about having a whole wardrobe of clothes that fit-- just get enough to fill a suitcase, and rotate in your baggy clothes as needed until you can afford to buy more, or buy only work clothes until you get that job.

And shop around! I was very surprised to find a dress shirt in my size on sale at Ross one day. Goodwill is also almost always a bust for me, but in regular men's sizes there's usually some really great looking stuff available, in good condition. Work clothes in particular have stayed basically the same for decades, so there's a ton of it out there. Sure, there's ugly sports wear and second-hand walmart tshirts, weird-looking 70s suits and some stuff halfway to falling apart, but there's almost always good work clothes, and if you've got the balls and the accessories (shoes and hat or glasses, in particular), that weird brown plaid 3-piece for $20 can be very fetching, if not interview-appropriate.

There is a reason broke hipsters dress from Goodwill. It takes some effort and persistence to come out looking good, but it's worth it, and the savings are huge. Not to mention that it's also good for the environment.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    not to be unsympathetic, but I wish I had your problem :). Congratulations to you on your great success!
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    See if there is a cheapcycle or freecycle group in your area. Cheapcycle can be a great way to sell your old clothes to help get new ones as well.
  • lnforner
    lnforner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    can you take them to a tailor?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!