Calories earned from walking

Options
2»

Replies

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It sounds about right. I walk 3 miles and MFP gives me 300 and something for it. I walk at approximately 2.5-3 mph for about 50 minutes. When I jog on the treadmill for 30 minutes at 4.5 mph it gives me 300 and something burned calories. I would say you're in the ball park.
  • aubned92
    aubned92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »
    That's curious about the activity level. I have mine at sedentary because I work at a desk all day then after work have either college or a work experience which again involves sitting down. Yet I manage to average 15,000 steps a day.

Really ? My 10,000 steps come from walking the dog twice a day plus obviously any other walking I do during the day. If you sit for 8 hours a day at work and then sit again for another 3-4 hours at night I struggle to see how you would fit in 15,000 steps/6 miles of walking !

Its not easy at all! I got a Fitbit last October. Today is at 23,081 steps but Tuesday is always my best day as I walk to college from work. I have learned a load of tricks to up the step count. In the morning I dont get on the bus at the nearerst stop, I walk to the third stop and get off a stop early, I also take the stairs now and never really take the lift. I'm up 16 flights of steps so it really counts! I try to go for a 20-40 minute walk on lunch and coming home I get off the bus a stop after where I live and walk home which is up a steep hill. I never use the toilet on the floor I'm on, I go to another floor, taking the stairs, even at home. So yeah I really have to work for it! When I first got the Fitbit I was only getting 4000-6000 steps a day.

I love this! I've also started finding ways to get more steps in each day. Parking as far as possible from stores, the gym, etc. I even spent time walking laps around the parking lot of the orthodontists when my son had an appointment. Wonderful suggestions.... Tricks! Great job.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I started with MFP yesterday. Yesterday I walked just over 10,000 steps (iPhone Steps) and it rewarded me with 465 Calories (Which I did not use). This seems like a lot of calories for walking just over 4 miles doesn't it ? Also, should I really use these "exercise" calories ? I will pretty much walk 10,000 steps most days and will also be going to the gym 3 or maybe 4 times a week (where I usually burn 450 calories). So, should I take any notice of the calculated calories from walking and should I aim to use all my exercise calories earned please ?

Here's a list of activity levels based on steps

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

You are definitely above sedentary. If you changed your activity level in MFP you might get a couple hundred calories. I think that would be a safe number of calories to eat back especially since 1500 is already rather low for a man (a tall one at that).

That's great thanks. I will try and change activity level now.

This thread has me thinking that I might change my activity level too. It was definitely more sedentary when I joined MFP. Its very interesting!

The only caveat on upping your activity level--yes, MFP will "give" you more calories every day, but if you are not losing weight at your current allocation, then you probably aren't going to lose after you adjust your intake...

I average 13K steps a day according to my fitbit, but still have my activity level here set to sedentary--I find that this gives me a bit more "wiggle room" when I don't necessarily feel like weighing every single bit of food I eat.
  • GrandadMike2014
    GrandadMike2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I started with MFP yesterday. Yesterday I walked just over 10,000 steps (iPhone Steps) and it rewarded me with 465 Calories (Which I did not use). This seems like a lot of calories for walking just over 4 miles doesn't it ? Also, should I really use these "exercise" calories ? I will pretty much walk 10,000 steps most days and will also be going to the gym 3 or maybe 4 times a week (where I usually burn 450 calories). So, should I take any notice of the calculated calories from walking and should I aim to use all my exercise calories earned please ?

Here's a list of activity levels based on steps

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

You are definitely above sedentary. If you changed your activity level in MFP you might get a couple hundred calories. I think that would be a safe number of calories to eat back especially since 1500 is already rather low for a man (a tall one at that).

That's great thanks. I will try and change activity level now.

This thread has me thinking that I might change my activity level too. It was definitely more sedentary when I joined MFP. Its very interesting!

The only caveat on upping your activity level--yes, MFP will "give" you more calories every day, but if you are not losing weight at your current allocation, then you probably aren't going to lose after you adjust your intake...

I average 13K steps a day according to my fitbit, but still have my activity level here set to sedentary--I find that this gives me a bit more "wiggle room" when I don't necessarily feel like weighing every single bit of food I eat.

I am going to stay at Low Active but will only use the additional 230 Cals it has given me on Gyn days. I don't think I will use any of my walking or activity "points" unless I happen to be going out or fancy the occasional treat.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stay at the sedentary level too...means the walking calories are a bonus rather than the norm.