Protein Shake - Suggestions

Options
Hello, I am trying to loose 40 lbs.
Trying to manage my calorie count, and thinking of substituting one meal with a protein shake. Would love to hear your recommendations on the type and kind of protien shakes I should take.

Not to build up, but to loose weight.

Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• pipermoom37
    pipermoom37 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife from time to time they keep me full, I know long term it's not practicle but great when I'm in a hurry in the mornings.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Visit your local Target or Walmart and look to see what they have.
    Prices are good. And if you don't like it, you can return easily. Online = seriously expensive for same products.
    Try a protein bar. That way you know what protein supplements can taste like.
    Warning: It's the time of the year for MLM people to be active.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I really like the body logix brand...just because of the taste. I can drink it just mixed with water. Avail at meijer.
  • AGupta6mobile
    AGupta6mobile Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my question is also, should I buy with high protein content or low protein content, If I'm trying to loose. what should I look for while buying.

I did see there were soy and whey protein shakes, but I heard, Soy protein does not provide all the nutrients and I should stick to whey. but there are soo many different variations.. Should I look for the ones that say lean mass?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes do NOT help you lose weight.

Protein shakes help you get additional protein if you're not able to get an adequate amount through regular food. Period.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes do NOT help you lose weight.

Protein shakes help you get additional protein if you're not able to get an adequate amount through regular food. Period.

This. If you're trying to lose weight, eat food within the calorie goal that MFP gives you; it really is that easy. A protein shake won't help you lose weight unless it's easier for you to stay within your calorie goal, and it won't help you gain weight unless it helps to put you in a caloric surplus.
  • scrapperthoke
    scrapperthoke Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like ISOFlex Chocolate (personal choice). It is smooth and not thick like some. It is not intended to be for weight loss although it is very low in calories, fat and sugar. It is however high in protein which is why I use it. I have trouble hitting my protein goals and staying in my calorie range. This is very important on the days that I do strength training. I will typically substitute my breakfast for shakes on those workout days, simply due to time constraints. It is always best to eat good food selections, but we all live in the real world and life gets in the way. Figuring out what works best for you and your circumstances will be key for sustaining your weight loss. You do it for a quick fix and you won't get the long term results you are hoping for. Protein shakes are just another tool in your arsenal for achieving long-term success.
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love the Atkins shakes. They are so good!!! Perfect for if you're on the go in the morning. You'll be good untill lunch time. And they have lots of protein. (Which helps keep you fuller longer)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Thanks, my question is also, should I buy with high protein content or low protein content, If I'm trying to loose. what should I look for while buying.

I did see there were soy and whey protein shakes, but I heard, Soy protein does not provide all the nutrients and I should stick to whey. but there are soo many different variations.. Should I look for the ones that say lean mass?

I prefer whey.

But as stated above drinking protein shakes wont help you lose weight. Unless you replace a meal with a shake that is lower in calories than the replaced meal.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Whey

Six star fitness designer whey French Vanilla I like :-) 70 cals per scoop, 16g of protein I believe. Low carb.
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    Whey

Six star fitness designer whey French Vanilla I like :-) 70 cals per scoop, 16g of protein I believe. Low carb.

that's sound like something that will work for sure.. Even if I replace my lunch of carrot and celery sticks!
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

I prefer whey.

But as stated above drinking protein shakes wont help you lose weight. Unless you replace a meal with a shake that is lower in calories than the replaced meal.

Yes, the idea is to replace one meal (lunch with the shake). Currently I am trying fresh veggies for lunch like carrots and celery and then if I am still hungry I get myself a banana. So idea is to feel fuller with lower calories with a shake!!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Yes, the idea is to replace one meal (lunch with the shake). Currently I am trying fresh veggies for lunch like carrots and celery and then if I am still hungry I get myself a banana. So idea is to feel fuller with lower calories with a shake!!

Veggies + fruit is fine for a snack, but it's not a balanced meal. It's good to have some protein with each meal.. at least 10-15 grams.. since your body doesn't store protein. Also it's good to have some fat with each meal.. at least a few grams.
    To lose weight, just eat normal meals but reduce the portion size slightly. It works. :+1:
  • jade_webb
    jade_webb Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had good results with PHD woman, meal replacement, the strawberry delight flavour, tasted nice and refreshing which I struggled to find in a protein shake! Satisfied any sugar cravings I had too, I had it instead of either lunch or breakfast if I was in a hurry, it kept my energy levels up and definitely would keep me full until my next meal :)
  • 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to replace a meal get a meal replacement shake, I prefer Vega one. I don't drink them all the time, just when I really don't feel like cooking.
  • allifaze19
    allifaze19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Delight missfit chocolate and mix it with Greek yougart and coconut milk with a little bit of organic peanut butter it's delicious! :)
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Chocolate Whey Protein (Walmart)
    Milk (whichever kind you like - I use 2%)
    Mixed Berries - strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries
    1TBSP Peanut Butter

Gives you healthy fat, fruits, protein, some milk. Great post-workout meal.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    123Allyxox wrote: »
    If you are looking to replace a meal get a meal replacement shake, I prefer Vega one. I don't drink them all the time, just when I really don't feel like cooking.

I'll second the Vega! I use their chocolate flavor protein and greens...20g protein, 6g carbs, 1g fat, 120 cals, 2 servings of greens. There's no dairy in it, and from what I can tell, no soy either.
  • Karihappy
    Karihappy Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Shakeology. It's expensive, but my husband and I love it.
  • AGupta6mobile
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Veggies + fruit is fine for a snack, but it's not a balanced meal. It's good to have some protein with each meal.. at least 10-15 grams.. since your body doesn't store protein. Also it's good to have some fat with each meal.. at least a few grams.
    To lose weight, just eat normal meals but reduce the portion size slightly. It works. :+1:

Thanks!! for the note!
    I guess I just have more learning to do, its hard to pick food that won't take you off your calorie or carb count. I am trying to see if I can include egg white/ tofu into my meals and see how that works, reduce the raw carrots, it adds a lot of carbs too.