I need help altering my ketogenic diet.

Options
I have started a couple weeks ago and lost a few pounds but I feel like it's mostly water weight.

I used a ketogenic calculator online today to help determine how much of what I should be eating. It says :
Carbs: 25 -50 grams a day
Protein 73-120 grams a day
And fats: 120grams a day

I weigh 206 right now . Can anyone tell me if this seems right also what kind of exercises and how much exercise should I be doing with this diet .

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    a couple weeks isn't really long enough to judge any weight loss. if you're still not losing weight after 3 or 4 weeks, then you are eating too much.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Whatever kind of exercise you like doing for however long you like doing them. There is no "right" kind of exercise for diet.
  • cathrynsadowski
    cathrynsadowski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your macros seem off...mine 70/25/5 No more than 25 grams of carbs! Keeps me in ketosis on the low end. For exercise...10000 steps/day or 4 miles. Walking to start. Good aerobics...walk/run, bike, swim. Good luck...have fun! Been on for 2 years...changed my life!
  • greenleopard94
    greenleopard94 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How do you properly calculate it
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Your current breakdown is unhealthy.

May I suggest the following:
    Carbs: 150 grams a day
    Protein 70 grams a day
    And fats: 40 grams a day

And you won't have to exercise. Worked for me and I lost 35 pounds in 6 months
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Protein 70 grams a day

That is not a ketogenic diet. A ketogenic diet typically includes fewer than 50 carbs a day (the high end of a ketogenic diet). I'm not suggesting that is the only way to lose weight - but what the OP asked for was assistance in adjusting a ketogenic diet.

(I've lost 33.3 lbs in a little over 3 months on a diet of around 40 carbs a day, without exercise other than climbing stairs to get to my office, car, etc.)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Protein 70 grams a day

OP--ignore this advice. Criteria for keto is 50 grams of carbs. Exercise is what you enjoy or find challenging and pursue. Your calories are at or near 1800 which seems reasonable given your weight.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I recommend searching for a low carb group on MFP for assistance.
    Your macros show a wide range that would still be Ketogenic depending on your personal circumstances.
    The first weight lost is water, pretty typical of any diet, but you'll lose more water initially on Keto.
    You can do whatever and how ever much exercise you want. The diet itself doesn't change that.
    Everyone's weight loss varies. I lost 25 lbs in the first 5 months on Keto and now that I'm about 10 lbs to goal it's slowed way down. I also don't seek out any exercise really. I was walking some in the summer, but only averaging about 7500 steps a day then and I didn't keep it up. Now I'm only averaging about 4500. Since I'm not very active, Keto works great for me because I don't find it difficult to create a calorie deficit.
    It takes time though. You can't expect things to change super fast just because you decided it's time.
  • cathrynsadowski
    cathrynsadowski Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You calculate by finding protein intake...body weight, bmi, height, age. Then u can proportion fat/carb intake. I use "ruled me" keto calc. I also try and keep to 1400 calories. Ultimately, keto sticks will tell you if you are in ketosis.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Here's the Low Carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Lots of keto-ers there!

Pinging @nvmomketo in case she'd like give input to your specific question.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As the others said, your macros are probably fine for reaching ketosis (I'm not an expert and have only been doing it half a year or so). Many like to start their carbs off a little low and then add them back in as suits them.

I started at about 1500 kcals per day when I was about 190 lbs (5'8"). My carbs were set at about 5% which was just under 20g per day. My protein is just over 70g at 20% and my fat is at 75% or over 110g per day. In the first three to four months I was down to 155lbs. My weight loss has greatly slowed now, but I am eating a few hundred calories more per day too. I weigh around 150lbs now and am pretty close to my goal weight.

I'm just starting to exercise now but it is not very steady yet.

You may want to consider increasing sodium to 3000-5000mg per day, and possibly increasing potassium and calcium. Electrolytes can get low when reducing carbs so the extra salt really helps, although I know it looks excessive.

Definitely join the LCD group linked above. They are extremely helpful there. :) Good luck!
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Use this Keto calculator to start with and get your correct macros http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy