Breastfeeding mama

Options
Hello!
My daughter is a month old, and once I get the okay, I'd like to start watching my calories again. Is anyone on MFP and having problems with milk supply? That's my real big concern. I know that BF moms need an additional 400-500 calories a day. Do you just add those calories to the ones already calculated for you?
Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• _JustNate_
    _JustNate_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just can't. I really thought about it but I just can't. (Humorous guy that loves to pounce on opportunities)
  • jgalvan1013
    jgalvan1013 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    _JustNate_ wrote: »
    I just can't. I really thought about it but I just can't. (Humorous guy that loves to pounce on opportunities)

You "just can't" what? And what opportunity? is there something funny about breastfeeding??

And to the OP, I too am BF'ing. Ibjust started Monday and I'm gonna follow the calorie goal and just hope that it doesn't effect my supply. If it does, I'll adjust. But I don't think I'll eat any less with MFP, just make better food choices
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My baby is 2 months old. I'm not strictly do calories counting but I watch what I eat and drink. So far my BF is ok.

I guess if you start doing it and if you don't feel well then eat more fruits and veggies?

Good luck :)
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I weaned a few months ago, but you burn approx. 10 calories per ounce of milk produced. So take what your normal caloric intake is, and add enough calories to compensate for what you are burning producing milk. This is the advice my lactation doctor gave me.
  • lengelhard49
    lengelhard49 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info all! I appreciate it!