Gym etiquette question

Options
Sometimes you get to the gym and there's 1 particular machine or exercise you want to use but somebody has been on it for a long time (more than 10 mins, checking their phone, etc.) Is it rude to ask them to work in with them? Sometimes people are friendly and sure, but sometimes you get an attitude or "I'm almost done" aka no you can't work in. What's the proper etiquette? Is there ever a time it's okay to ask someone to work in with them?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I would ask them, they should let you in otherwise they are being rude.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I have asked before and it's been ok but I try not to if I can help it. If I see they are just faffing around on the phone I will ask and so far haven't had anyone say no.

Bu then again - I'm a chick - don't know if that helps!
  • MrsJBro
    MrsJBro Posts: 59 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If they take long periods of rest between sets, and have been there a while, go ahead and ask. I personally don't like working in with people, so if I'm ever asked I just forfeit the equipment to the asker. So it could work out to your benefit!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I just ask. And have zero issues being asked. Although, most of the time it's hey so and so, if you're benching today I have x number of sets left. Or whatever if I'm in their favourite rack or whatever. And they do the same for me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I would ask them, they should let you in otherwise they are being rude.

Easy now. Maybe they're being rude or maybe they are doing something where working in is inconvenient. Maybe I'm doing 4-5 sets with very little rest. Or maybe or size and strength is do different that change the plates or resetting the cables after each set would be a pain. Or maybe I just have one or two sets left and I figure you can cool your jets for another 4 minutes.

So definitely ask to work in unless it's obviously going to be inconvenient (6 inch difference in height trying to share the squat rack) but don't be overly indignant if they say no. That's why it's called asking.

And hey OP, ten minutes isn't a **crazy long** amount of time to use a piece of equipment. Not even close
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would ask them, most people are really friendly and tell you how many sets they have left. If they are rude to you, not a big deal, move on. Sometimes people on their phones are looking at workout apps or programs to see whats next, so its better to ask with a smile in my opinion :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It is always ok to ask, even if the other person has been there for only a few minutes. Unless there are already multiple people taking turns.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Ask away.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think you can ask but don't get upset if they say no.

Also, whenever possible, I suggest learning an alternative exercise or two.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you get to the gym and there's 1 particular machine or exercise you want to use but somebody has been on it for a long time (more than 10 mins, checking their phone, etc.) Is it rude to ask them to work in with them? Sometimes people are friendly and sure, but sometimes you get an attitude or "I'm almost done" aka no you can't work in. What's the proper etiquette? Is there ever a time it's okay to ask someone to work in with them?

I often take long trays between sets and play on my phone. I have no issue if someone asks to work in.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think you can ask but don't get upset if they say no.

Also, whenever possible, I suggest learning an alternative exercise or two.

This is a good idea... I always keep my routines adaptable.... even when the gym is quiet, there can always be somebody on your desired equipement.

So its January asnd the gym is full of noobs.... is there a gym bible of etiquette ?

I think ther should be as a gym is a daunting place socially for the noobs
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just stand over them...and then ask if I can do my one set. Never had anyone say no.
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would ask them, most people are really friendly and tell you how many sets they have left. If they are rude to you, not a big deal, move on. Sometimes people on their phones are looking at workout apps or programs to see whats next, so its better to ask with a smile in my opinion :)

THIS. I hate it when people just look at me like I'm on social media or something when really I'm just on fitnotes looking at what I should be doing next :(
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »

THIS. I hate it when people just look at me like I'm on social media or something when really I'm just on fitnotes looking at what I should be doing next :(

This also happens to me. I get lost so have to regroup and look at my next lift. People look at me like I'm playing candy crush or something! Lol !
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't like working in with others. Mostly because after a set, I just want to chill for my rest time, go over the lift in my head and just think about things like my form etc and then hit my next set as soon as I'm ready.

I'm currently working on SL5x5, so I have a 1:30 rest period between sets and I'm getting to the stage where I need that rest to hit my next set, when someone asks to work in, I often feel rushed to do my sets because they are often on a shorter rest period.

I'll say yes if the gym is busy, but if it's just someone wanting to use the squat rack and the rest of the place is empty I'll usually just say, "I'm almost done, I'll shout you when it's free"
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,802 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Silentfool wrote: »
    Is there a gym bible of etiquette ?

I think ther should be as a gym is a daunting place socially for the noobs

I found a book in the self-help section of the local bookstore named, appropriately enough, "The Gym Bible." In it are tips on exercise, diet, how to use different equipment, how to pick which gym is right for you, etc. One chapter includes a discussion on etiquette.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    parfia wrote: »

This also happens to me. I get lost so have to regroup and look at my next lift. People look at me like I'm playing candy crush or something! Lol !

Even if you are playing candyour crush your rest time between sets is yours. 3-5 minutes seems like forever but that isn't unreasonable between sets of heavy weights.

Use some sense when asking to work in. Like others said a height difference or strength difference means lots of plate changes and rack changes. If you ask to work in be prepared to do all of the plate changes :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I ask. The vast majority of the time they are fine with it. There was ONE time when the young man was notably NOT fine with it. He was in the wrong. I asked management to assist, and they approached him. Problem solved. He was a serious body builder, which is awesome, but he had a tendency to hog three or four things (bench, smith, dip) at a time. And would run over and object if you wanted to use something he was "using".
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Not only is it proper etiquette to ask to work in, if they notice you're hovering around waiting on them, they should offer to let you work in (unless they've got four plates on the bar in the squat rack...).