What is the best most accurate heart rate monitor to buy?

Options
Hi everyone! So I'm back exercising, eating healthy. I use to use a Bodymedia fit, which monitored my calories, sleep, calories burned etc. I know with technology changing and progressing, there's new better ones out there. For example, the fitbit. I'm considering buying that, but not sure if that's the best accurate one out there. So..... I'm asking my fellow Myfitness pal friends, if you could help me out, so I can buy the best one for me. I just really want to lose weight, and be healthy again. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Any heart rate monitor that includes a chest strap will be a good buy as it will be more accurate and give real-time feedback. I hear people like the Garmin brand. I personally like Polar products.
  • muscleandbeard
    muscleandbeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Polar loop. You strap it to your torso
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Any heart rate monitor that includes a chest strap will be a good buy as it will be more accurate and give real-time feedback. I hear people like the Garmin brand. I personally like Polar products.

This

But only used for steady state cardio

The wrist worn 24 hours ones are in my honest opinion merely a marketers dream...no better than a standard pedometer at measuring TDEE (well marginally dependent on activities, but not enough to bother with in the world of estimated numbers)
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I really like my Polar FT4. It is relatively inexpensive and includes a chest strap. I was worried the chest strap would be uncomfortable and bother me - but I forget that it's even on! I feel like it is pretty accurate for my cardio workouts - way more so than the actual treadmill or elliptical or stairmaster.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Everyone will have different opinions, but I personally love my Fitbit Charge HR and consider it a very important tool in my fitness journey. I wear it 24/7, eat the calories it tells me, and I still lose weight even though I'm 5'3" and 114 pounds. Sometimes it seems like they give me too many calories, but everything has been pretty accurate so far. No HRM will be 100% accurate, but each one does give a good general idea of your activity level. It's not a necessity, but it can be a big help. Whatever fits your price range and appeals to you is the one you should go with.
  • Ginatdavis
    Ginatdavis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very very much! So true, everyone will have different opinions, of what works best for them. But, I appreciate everybody's responses, it really helps me to figure out what's going to be best for me. I honestly had no clue that they had ones, that strapped to your chest, it makes sense that it would be accurate! Awesome. I do have another question, when you're told to consume a certain amount of calories, based on your weight. If you think it's too high, but it comes from a reputable source, do you taken that many calories or take in what you think is right for you.
  • jmattmacd79
    jmattmacd79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

This

But only used for steady state cardio

The wrist worn 24 hours ones are in my honest opinion merely a marketers dream...no better than a standard pedometer at measuring TDEE (well marginally dependent on activities, but not enough to bother with in the world of estimated numbers)

Hi,

I have a microsoft band 2. Once you have run with it with its internal gps turned on so it can calibrate your heart rate zones, stride length and vo2 max I've found it quite accurate.

I tested it alongside my polar strap for a few exercises (weights, running outdoors, cycling, treadmill and static bike (last two to see how it does without gps data)) and while the heart rate maxes can be off compared to the polar the calories burnt seems pretty spot on, I guess it just collect so much data that it smooths out the inherent inaccuracy in measuring wrist pulse with a ir camera. I dont use the chest strap anymore and Im pretty confident of the numbers.

Obviously I cant test its 24/7 functionality against anything as there's not really anything else that measures it but number of steps taken matches closely what a pedometer measures and its daily calorie burn is close to what I would expect so I tend to assume its reasonably accurate, my main reason for using these feature is really just the activity alert which tells me I'm low on calories or steps for the day so I know to go drag the dog around a muddy field for a bit, its just a good motivational tool really. It also helped me spot some patterns in my sleep habit depending on workout time which I've been able to adjust.

So yeah, not as accurate in moment to moment as a chest strap, but the amount of data collected does reveal patterns and helps motivation. Just my two cents.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Ginatdavis wrote: »
    Thank you all very very much! So true, everyone will have different opinions, of what works best for them. But, I appreciate everybody's responses, it really helps me to figure out what's going to be best for me. I honestly had no clue that they had ones, that strapped to your chest, it makes sense that it would be accurate! Awesome. I do have another question, when you're told to consume a certain amount of calories, based on your weight. If you think it's too high, but it comes from a reputable source, do you taken that many calories or take in what you think is right for you.

That would depend on how accurate you are with your food logging. There is a big difference between people who use a food scale for all solids, and those who choose to use measuring cups, or 'servings'.