Cravings and Snacking

Options
I have a lot of trouble with eating because I'm bored. I always feel the need to snack on something throughout the day and it destroys my daily calorie intake. I was able to lose 40 pounds, but I want to lose 40 more and I know I can't if I keep snacking like I do. Any low calorie snacking foods or tips to keep my cravings away?

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chewing gum between meals? It can help keep you from that urge to nom snacks and tricks your mouth into thinking it had something sweet.
    It also helps to have a pile of low-cal snacks ready to go- I keep carrot, celery and apples on hand.
  • SBHWeav
    SBHWeav Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was just coming on the community hoping to find help with this. I've conquered my soda addiction, now I need to tackle the boredom snacking. We'll figure this out!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Another thing to check is if you're getting enough protein in your meals. Lack of protein and healthy fiber can leave you feeling hungrier sooner. Boost your total protein and fiber for your main meals and see if that helps quell the snacking urges, maybe?
  • Mae0217
    Mae0217 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Before you eat a snack, try to figure out why you are eating. If you think it is just from boredom, try to distract yourself. I used to eat out of habit. I always had a bedtime snack. But after starting MFP, I realized I really wasn't hungry at bedtime, so I cut it out. Sometimes I think I ate when I really was thirsty. So reach for some water first. I also agree that more protein and fiber during your regular meals helps. Keep some fruit and veggies handy for snacks if needed. You'll be surprised how quickly the cravings go away.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible with snacking. I try to plan accordingly, if I know what I'm having for dinner I prelog it first thing in the morning so I have an idea of how much snacking I can do and stay within my goals. The evenings are the worst though because I could sit on the couch and snack the evening away. Again, I just try to eat less at meal time to plan for this.

My favorite low calorie snacks are white popcorn and sunflower seeds in the shell. Sunflower seeds seem high in calorie but if you buy the in shell ones and eat them one at a time cracking the shell it takes a while before you get up there in calories. Plus it totally satisfies the salty cravings. I also buy fresh fruit and veggies and as soon as I get home from the grocery store I wash and prep them - cut cucumbers, carrots and celery, put washed grapes in an easy to grab from bowl in the front of the fridge, etc.
    I have an open diary and you are free to add me if you want to check it out and get some ideas :)
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Simple. Reduce the amount you eat during your primary meals so you can snack away.
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have an apple. You won't want to but when you have it, it will satisfy and refresh your palate a lot. Also strawberries and blueberries have fewer calories than biscuits etc and they make you fuller for longer. Eat healthy satisfying meals and then you will feel less like snacking. Can you get out for a walk? That can relieve boredom too.
  • nikkilovessweets
    nikkilovessweets Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Water and aspartame free gum help me :smile:
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I agree with water. I try to drink some water before I snack to make sure I'm actually hungry-- plus it tends to help me with those craving feelings. Especially when I put some lemon in it.
  • Snicolej
    Snicolej Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Love this trend ! I eat a lot of veggies and fruit but if I want something sweet I eat fiber one bars or special K bars ! 90 -140 calories and I also log dinner in the am 90%of the time so I know what calories I will have for snacking ! Would love new friends feel free to add me !
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacked as well. I've snacked myself right out of all my clothes. I will do wonderfully for a month or two then WHAM I'm snacking instead of meals.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacked as well. I've snacked myself right out of all my clothes. I will do wonderfully for a month or two then WHAM I'm snacking instead of meals.

Thanks for the reminder. I am coming up to one month, and I will be aware that this could be a weakening moment. Today I rediscovered that I like plain yellow mustard. I think I would like celery dipped in yellow mustard, so when I hit one month, I will prepare celery in my cuisinart (little cubes) and dip in yellow mustard. I will enjoy this with water. THANKS
  • jeremyn772016
    jeremyn772016 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I rarely snack, not because I don't want to, but because I have no snacks. If you just keep putting off going to the store, and only pay at the pump, and never carry change, you find yourself snackless very soon. Then when you go to the store, do it in a hurry and only carry the hand basket. You'll fill it with items that are only necessary and leave little snack room. Then you get home and realize you're hungry and have no snacks. Usually the only thing I have around is a banana because I keep them around for breakfast. Peanut butter sandwiches and milk satisfy and are a staple in my house. Pretty soon your laziness for shopping will kill the snack habit.
  • SaraAhmad117
    SaraAhmad117 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I rarely snack, not because I don't want to, but because I have no snacks. If you just keep putting off going to the store, and only pay at the pump, and never carry change, you find yourself snackless very soon. Then when you go to the store, do it in a hurry and only carry the hand basket. You'll fill it with items that are only necessary and leave little snack room. Then you get home and realize you're hungry and have no snacks. Usually the only thing I have around is a banana because I keep them around for breakfast. Peanut butter sandwiches and milk satisfy and are a staple in my house. Pretty soon your laziness for shopping will kill the snack habit.

That's exactly what I do- it's great advice. If you don't keep enough snacks around, you won't have a choice. Also, drinking more water helps a lot. And coffee with no sugar usually does the trick for me. I have 2-3 cups a day around snack times if I'm not really hungry but just want something to taste.
  • cayennewagoner
    cayennewagoner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a serious boredom eating problem and always find myself binge eating in the evenings. It has helped to only purchase unhealthy snack foods that I do not typically crave buy my husband and daughter do like. I also try to stock healthy snacks for myself at home and work but still find myself overeating those. I almost always feel guilty when I get done eating and have yet to be successful in retraining myself to only eat when I am genuinely hungry and to stop when I first stop to feel full. I drink a ridiculous amount of coffee and water all day which used to keep me feeling but that doesn't do it for me anymore. Emotional eating is definitely a challenge for me!
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Thanks for the great tips. I'm going to put them to use.