Preworkout/Postworkout Routines

Options
I'm a big fan of preworkout drinks because I find I usually need that extra umph to push myself at the gym. I started with c4 and used 2 tubs of that. By the end though, it hardly affected me anymore. C4 was usually like $45, and I'm wondering if any one else (with high caffeine tolerance and low energy levels) has any brands they'd recommend.

Also, are high-protein postworkout meals/shakes worth it when I only do mild-moderate strength training?

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Just cycle off for a couple of weeks and you should be ok starting back up. Try drinking a monster or something in the meanwhile, those def get me going lol
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    And you dont need shakes if you get enough protein in your diet without it. Protein is good to prevent muscle loss when dieting, regardless if you do strength training or not, so def try to keep your protein up
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've tried c4, acg3, and noXplode. My favorite by far is acg3. I jumped off the pre-workout juices though due to lack of research into long-term side effects. Now, I just have a cup of coffee. Post-workput you don't need a shake unless it's convenient for you. Get a meal with high protein, healthy fats, and fast-digesting carbs and you'll be good.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Pre by Optimum Nutrition is the best preworkout on the market in my opinion, if you are going to go that route.

I swore off caffeine entirely a little over a year ago, and I have to say I never have problems with energy anymore. Engorge by Primeval Labs is a great non-stim preworkout, if you are convinced you need one. You could even use it when you cycle off the stims (which you need to do if you want them to continue to have an effect as mentioned above).

Post workout - Food.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    No pre. Unless you count my shot of beet juice. Post is protein either by whole food or powder sources
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Cycle your caffeine intake. For example use it 6 to 8 weeks, drop it 2 to 4 weeks to 'reset' your caffeine sensitivity.

PS: Try not to be dependent of pre-workouts. It can help you every now and then, but will F you up (mentally mainly) if for some reason one day you cannot take it.

As for post workout, nutritious food is fine.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Shlotato wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of preworkout drinks because I find I usually need that extra umph to push myself at the gym. I started with c4 and used 2 tubs of that. By the end though, it hardly affected me anymore. C4 was usually like $45, and I'm wondering if any one else (with high caffeine tolerance and low energy levels) has any brands they'd recommend.

Also, are high-protein postworkout meals/shakes worth it when I only do mild-moderate strength training?

I would find the root cause why you think you need extra umph at the gym via a supplement.

As some others have said, if you are doing mild/moderate weight training, no need for a post workout meal/shale, unless it's part of your normal food intake/timing. There are studies out there that show some benefits to various post workout food intake. However, this is focusing on the last 5% or so of sports nutrition. Getting the diet in general fixed, for most people will be a bigger bang for the buck than making sure you get x grams of protein within 30 minutes of finishing a workout.

• vvento
    vvento Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    prestigio wrote: »
    Cycle your caffeine intake. For example use it 6 to 8 weeks, drop it 2 to 4 weeks to 'reset' your caffeine sensitivity.

PS: Try not to be dependent of pre-workouts. It can help you every now and then, but will F you up (mentally mainly) if for some reason one day you cannot take it.

As for post workout, nutritious food is fine.

I agree here, the first time I tried cycling off of Pre-workout for my main lifts, I felt as if I couldn't lift as heavy. later I realized that pre-workout was just helping me to go hard faster and now when I'm cycling off I simply have to warm-up a little more before I can hit those heavy lifts. You definitely don't want to shock your system constantly with pre-workout, cycling off like mentioned above works great.