Trying not to throw in the towel

Options
2»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    3) Taking my time preparing my food. THIS is a biggie. And it's hard for me. And some people may find it a little woo-woo-foo-foo. But because I am so used to doing so many things quickly and efficiently, and because I'm used to stuffing food - whatever I can grab -this kind of goes against my normal way of being. We are such a "just order it!/just unwrap it!" society. But I find that taking the time to clean, cut, chop, bake, cook, and plate the food, and then sitting down to eat it, brings me so much more fulfillment and peacefulness around my needs and my hunger. It's all one - your body, your feelings, your mind, your heart. It took me a while to realize my body wasn't this other "thing" I was fighting against. It is me. Literally. So, I guess the preparation and plating helps me honor the nourishment and the body I am putting it into and build a more intimate and compassionate connection with myself.

I think there's a lot of wisdom here. Particularly the bolded.

It's not necessary to prepare every meal from scratch, obviously, but doing so when possible does have merit. I find cooking to be a creative process in which I can also control quality and end up with delicious food to eat.

OP, are you restricting a lot of foods? You say you had success on Paleo but then it all went up in smoke. I tried cutting out entire categories of food (a long time ago) and I could never sustain it. Choose a reasonable calorie goal (don't rush) and include all the foods that you love. Commit to trying a new recipe now & then. Take the small steps and believe in them.

• stoneymatthews
    stoneymatthews Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is hands down 100% me!!

I lost 35-40lbs ... Easily ... And did it in a healthy way ... Quickly ... And kicked my butt to do it.

Now?
    It's like I can't stop eating!

It's the weirdest thing.
    I means, I can eat and eat and EAT, and yet nothing??

It's a terrible feeling.
    Feels out of control.

I've went from 140 to 160 in less than a year and I'm like WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

I wish I knew what could help you ... Us.
    Just letting you know you aren't alone :/
  • wuxitan
    wuxitan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. Get your thyroid checked, have blood work done for diabetes, and read the full label on your medications. Your medications could be at fault if they've changed in the last two years. Also look into a binge-eaters anonymous group.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    This all started before I went on the meds but it is a good thought.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You seem to be saying that you feel out of control - you cant seem to stop yourself from doing things that are not what you want to do. I hear ya!

I think the best advice has already been given and that is journal journal journal. You may find an awful lot of calm doing it as it may seem the ONLY thing you can control. And plan plan plan - for all your meals, snacks - any eventuality. Think of alternatives to the things you find you binge on most - see if you can find a healthier alternative. I find that Medjool dates taste remarkable caramelly and chocolatey, and they have helped me through some tough times.

Good luck sister, I feel your pain.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Makoce wrote: »
    Three years ago I was obsessively weighing food and eating junk food to lose. I was constantly hungry and shaky and it was easy to me SOMEHOW.

I switched to Paleo and did amazing for 8 months - not hungry always full, happy -- and that's when I started binging out of no where..probably because I got down to a unhealthy weight.

I try to eat healthy and eat moderate amounts of food so I'm not restricting and not starving again but something clicks and I just binge out on sugar. ( or anything really )
    Moderation just isn't working like it use to.

Some of it is muscle weight but most of it is fat because I constantly test my body fat percentage. Not to mention I can tell looking at myself or pictures.

How about going back to Paleo but with a lower deficit and switching to maintenance earlier so you don't get down to an unhealthy weight again?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Makoce wrote: »
    I lost 65lbs three years ago. It was so easy.
    Suddenly Started struggling with binging. Two years and still packing on the pounds and white knuckling eating day to day.
    Been on medications, to therapy, and everything in between and I just am never full and never satisfied.
    I want to give up. I don't know what to do

Ugh.
    Sorry I just needed to rant.

Does your therapy include cognitive/behavioral strategies for the binging? That's considered to be the most successful.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    3) Taking my time preparing my food. THIS is a biggie. And it's hard for me. And some people may find it a little woo-woo-foo-foo. But because I am so used to doing so many things quickly and efficiently, and because I'm used to stuffing food - whatever I can grab -this kind of goes against my normal way of being. We are such a "just order it!/just unwrap it!" society. But I find that taking the time to clean, cut, chop, bake, cook, and plate the food, and then sitting down to eat it, brings me so much more fulfillment and peacefulness around my needs and my hunger. It's all one - your body, your feelings, your mind, your heart. It took me a while to realize my body wasn't this other "thing" I was fighting against. It is me. Literally. So, I guess the preparation and plating helps me honor the nourishment and the body I am putting it into and build a more intimate and compassionate connection with myself.

This whole post was so good. I'll just add that, IMHO, this point is not woo. Years ago I read a study showing people who plan, shop for and prepare their food eat less than those who are not involved in the preparation. (Sorry guys, long time ago, will really have to dig for the link.) Anecdotally, I agree with you. I do the lion's share of planning/shopping/prep in my household, and I do think it gives me a sense of satisfaction beyond the consuming. It feels bad to inhale in 2 minutes something that took 45 minutes to make, so I think it slows down my eating, too. Also anecdotally, I have a friend who loves baking sweets but can no longer consume them. Baking delicious creations for others gives her real satisfaction.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

This whole post was so good. I'll just add that, IMHO, this point is not woo. Years ago I read a study showing people who plan, shop for and prepare their food eat less than those who are not involved in the preparation. (Sorry guys, long time ago, will really have to dig for the link.) Anecdotally, I agree with you. I do the lion's share of planning/shopping/prep in my household, and I do think it gives me a sense of satisfaction beyond the consuming. It feels bad to inhale in 2 minutes something that took 45 minutes to make, so I think it slows down my eating, too. Also anecdotally, I have a friend who loves baking sweets but can no longer consume them. Baking delicious creations for others gives her real satisfaction.

Agreed too. Plus when I make a meal that takes 30 minutes to cook, I'm too busy to think about snacking!

Also... one of the reasons I'm against meal planning... sometimes I just want something specific, and ending up eating something else 'because it was planned' is not as satisfying, and that's when I'm more likely to rely on sweets for satisfaction (and in truth? it doesn't work and I'll just eat more sweets to make up for it). If, instead, I ask myself 'what do I want to eat right now' and make that, I'll be much more satisfied and less likely to want dessert.

So yeah, I do groceries 2/3 times a week, ask myself what I feel like eating, research recipes online, base my purchases around what I've been craving (instead of just buying chicken breast because it's on sale, but I'll pick the store depending on sales and my shopping list), make sure to limit the 'this needs to be eaten today or tomorrow' purchases as much as possible (unless it's what I actually crave, obviously), this way if I decide that I just want something else for dinner, I know that what I bought can last a couple more days.

In the end my meals are more satisfying that way.. I eat what I really want without needing to order out and it's often much less calories than if I had ordered out too. And I'm much more likely to pass on dessert, unless it's something I've been really craving lately.

• RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I stopped at JessicaLove's comments above because they are 100% what I'd also say. And there is no rush. We did not get here overnight, so we should treat ourselves like we would treat a best friend. Slow and steady, and allow ourselves to be imperfect, make mistakes, learn, grow, be health"ier" day by day.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I lost around 50 lb. I kept it off for about 5 years and then threw in the towel. I remember as I approached 200 lb and then crossed it, I felt more and more helpless which caused me to eat more. If I had just sucked it up at that point I wouldn't be where I ended up 2 years ago having put all the weight plus 10lb back on. Don't every quit. I look back now and see the life changes I was going through. It was a form of depression and turning to instant gratification. Do whatever you can to identify your triggers and make the change now. I feel like I've given up several years of my life. If I had gotten control of it when I only had 10 or 20 lb to loose, I would have saved myself a lot of pain and embarrassment.
  • Makoce
    Options
    lbctfs wrote: »
    About 10 years ago I lost around 50 lb. I kept it off for about 5 years and then threw in the towel. I remember as I approached 200 lb and then crossed it, I felt more and more helpless which caused me to eat more. If I had just sucked it up at that point I wouldn't be where I ended up 2 years ago having put all the weight plus 10lb back on. Don't every quit. I look back now and see the life changes I was going through. It was a form of depression and turning to instant gratification. Do whatever you can to identify your triggers and make the change now. I feel like I've given up several years of my life. If I had gotten control of it when I only had 10 or 20 lb to loose, I would have saved myself a lot of pain and embarrassment.

Thank you.

And thank you everyone else. These posts are extremely helpful.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lbctfs wrote: »

Yeah... don't give up. Just do the best you can. That's the way I see it.. It's so frustrating (and a lot of people on MFP don't 'get it', honestly) and hard but you got to do the best you can. Even if you go over a lot, you'll limit the damage by not giving up. One day at a time.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Hey chin up there sunshine, we all have our moments of self-doubt but just remember there’s always a light at the end of the tunnel. Just hope that it’s not a train!
    Yeah, binge eating can be a b!tch man, sometimes I get to getting and next thing I know there ain’t nothing left to get. I try and always put things into a serving size but that don’t always stop me either. It helps if you have someone there for you to keep you in check. Like a family member or friend.
    I know for me when I don’t have the right mix of macros which I have found for me is a 40/35/25 (protein/carbs/fat) plus at least 10-12 servings of water is when I get into trouble.
    Just keep on keeping sister, that’s really all there is to do, right? Of course you’re going to have days when you backslide heck you may have a week or so like that but then you pick yourself back up and get back on track. Trust me we all do; man I started a slide in Oct and didn’t stop until last week. It was like one step forward and two steps back.
    I see you mention depression and meds, yeah that’ll add to the level of difficulty. I was on meds and actually still on two, but I am trying to get off them although I do not think mine is causing too much weight gain. I was on pain killers, blood pressure, cholesterol, and a few others, just on the BP and the chole meds now.
    It may sound fruity but when I get down I put on some uplifting tunes and just sing my *kitten* off. The key here is “uplifting,” like a little Marley, Bob or Ziggy either works great. But no head banger, that just makes me want to break stuff.
    My problem is that I like to indulge a little too much but hell sometimes you just have to enjoy life a little. I just need to learn to do push-aways again. ;-)
    Just don’t quit, surround yourself with good friends and a support team people that will support you when you need it.
    We’ve all been there sister,
    Peace!
    V/r,
    DW
  • Makoce
    Options
    Thank you :)