Protein Powder?

Options
I've noticed I'm consistently not meeting my protein goals. I don't eat very much meat - it's expensive and I'm a struggling student - so I try to supplement with beans, lentils, etc. When I do get a chance to eat meant it's usually chicken or fish.

I'd like to find a way to up my protein intake and I was thinking - I drink a smoothie every morning, and wondered if adding protein powder to this was a good idea? My brothers who are always working out and trying to up their weights have told me if I add protein without working out more I'll gain weight. HELP??

Also, for those interested, this is my favourite smoothie ever:

1 cup berries (1/2 cup raspberries, 1/2 cup mixed sour cherry berries)
1/2 cup peach juice
1 cup 1% milk
1 cup spinach

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Protein powder will not make you gain weight if your calories are within your goal, whether you are working out or not. Protein powder is made to help people meet their protein needs if they fall short. Your brothers are wrong.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Protein powder does have calories and you have to count them, but they aren't any worse than other calories
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I eat protein powder in my oatmeal every morning. I started using it because, like you, I don't eat a whole lot of meat and my chickens' egg production slowed down because it's winter. Protein powder is a good inexpensive, delicious option. Just factor it into your calories.

If you're going to put it in oatmeal mix it with a tiny bit of water to make a paste, then add to cooked oatmeal.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I throw a scoop of protein powder into my smoothie every morning. (or I did until my blender lid met an untimely death. . . ) When you go to pick out your protein, make sure to ask the person working there if they can recommend a brand with just protein. Be sure to emphasize that you're just looking to supplement your protein intake, and that you don't need anything else. They should be able to help you out.
  • GrandadMike2014
    GrandadMike2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You're brothers are misleading you. If you are not hitting your protein goals there is no reason why you should not take a protein supplement. Protein helps to make you feel fuller for longer and your body will also use some of your fat reserves to help process the protein as your body has to work harder to process protein over carbs. Protein helps to repair muscles after exercise and promotes muscle growth and by volume muscle does weigh more than fat but if you aren't working out it is unlikely that you will be using much of your protein for muscle growth.

Take a read of this https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/5-reasons-why-protein-is-good-for-weight-loss/
  • Dreysander
    edited January 2016
    Options
    GNC amplified gold 100% whey advanced and ON gold standard are good macro wise, very low carb and fat for your protein.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I appreciate the input, and I'll head out to the GNC to find something that works for me.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Do not let the GNC sales people talk you into buying their brand or any other supplements. Their training requires that they try to sell you the GNC brand products and if you don't buy them they have to try to sell you another supplement that is GNC brand. Research online and go in with an idea of what you want.
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Do not let the GNC sales people talk you into buying their brand or any other supplements. Their training requires that they try to sell you the GNC brand products and if you don't buy them they have to try to sell you another supplement that is GNC brand. Research online and go in with an idea of what you want.

This is good to know. Thank you!
  • Dreysander
    Options
    I don't work for GNC, I just like their whey. It mixes well and tastes decent.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I appreciate the input, and I'll head out to the GNC to find something that works for me.

Please know that Amazon and places like that are MUCH cheaper, like 1/2 in some cases.

There are tons of brands out there. My advice is to find the most amount of protein in the least amount of grams per serving.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Dreysander wrote: »

I didn't mean to make it seem like you were, I was just cautioning her. I got hired there and started training. I was so uncomfortable with their sales tactics that I quit. I wasn't willing to compromise my morals for sales.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Making blanket statements that their brand is the "best" is what was confusing since that's obviously determined by the individual. No worries.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    the best and cheapest source of protein is eggs. Eat eggs for breakfast, like an omellete with veggies in it, to drop calories, just make an egg white omellete - 1 egg white is only about 11 calories, whereas a whole egg is more like 80. And the egg white is where all the protein is.
  • Dreysander
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What are good ON gold standard flavors? I'm a little wary to try the more "out there" ones because you have to buy a big tub and what if it's gross.
  • Dreysander
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Please know that Amazon and places like that are MUCH cheaper, like 1/2 in some cases.

There are tons of brands out there. My advice is to find the most amount of protein in the least amount of grams per serving.

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word "best". I'll fix it.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    What are the best ON gold standard flavors? I'm a little wary to try the more "out there" ones because you have to buy a big tub and what if it's gross.

Yea, taste is relative for sure. What I like, you might not. I am loving ON Gold Standard Cake Donut right now... I feel like it can go in things where chocolate flavor would usually go and still tastes good, and it can go where strawberry and vanilla usually goes and still tastes good.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    What are the best ON gold standard flavors? I'm a little wary to try the more "out there" ones because you have to buy a big tub and what if it's gross.

The further you get from vanilla and chocolate the more chemical they taste. I personally really like the ON Protein Energy in chocolate, but others hate the caffeine in it. I like Trutein chocolate peanut butter, but only to mix with peanut butter to make cookies.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    the best and cheapest source of protein is eggs. Eat eggs for breakfast, like an omellete with veggies in it, to drop calories, just make an egg white omellete - 1 egg white is only about 11 calories, whereas a whole egg is more like 80. And the egg white is where all the protein is.

Not sure about that; the cost of eggs has skyrocketed recently due to a pretty widespread bird flu. That said, price some different sources of protein, and then compare costs per gram protein provided. That will help you figure out what gives you the most bang for your buck protein-wise.

Look into cans of chicken and tuna as well; those can be relatively cheap. And if you have an oven, buying and roasting a full chicken is one of the cheapest ways to get chicken (as opposed to buying processed cuts).
  • Hornsby
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Not sure about that; the cost of eggs has skyrocketed recently due to a pretty widespread bird flu.

yea, it's not even close for being the "cheapest", but eggs are yummy though. No doubt about that.