Dessert! With lots of protein - and lots of deliciousness?

Options
I recently upped my protein and have been managing pretty well. I don't eat meat and rely heavily on dairy to meet my goal. I've considered upping it even more, but it occurs to me that then almost everything I eat will need to be protein-dense. And I'm not giving up my dessert! What delicious desserts do you eat that are high in protein?

I should probably say that chocolate things are my preferred desserts and that I don't do very well with substitutes. Whenever I see the suggestion to eat a piece of fruit instead of a cookie, I balk a little inside at the insanity! I get the logic, but I generally need the real deal.

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already. I did a search but only found questions about making desserts with protein powder. I'm not totally opposed to that but was hoping for some other ideas.

Thanks!

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Why not have a protein shake and then a scoop of ice cream?
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Greek yogurt? You could add chocolate protein powder (if you need the extra protein/for flavor) and whatever else you might want (i.e. fruit, crumbled cookie(s), etc.)
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    How about cookies made from nut meal? Nuts have a decent amount of protein in addition to their healthy fat, and chocolate chip pecan meal cookies are delicious. :-)
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    Greek yogurt? You could add chocolate protein powder (if you need the extra protein/for flavor) and whatever else you might want (i.e. fruit, crumbled cookie(s), etc.)

Oh my gosh! You know when you're looking for something that's right in front of your face!? That's how I feel right about now. Just the other day I found one of those Chobani flip yogurts that actually really liked.. vanilla yogurt with peanuts, granola, and chocolate chips! Thanks for jogging my memory!
    Jacwhite22 wrote: »

Thanks! I drink a protein shake around lunchtime usually. I've thought about drinking another smaller one later in the day, but I've been hesitant to do it. I guess a part of me doesn't want to have to rely so much on the powder, but I may have to..
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

Oh my gosh! You know when you're looking for something that's right in front of your face!? That's how I feel right about now. Just the other day I found one of those Chobani flip yogurts that actually really liked.. vanilla yogurt with peanuts, granola, and chocolate chips! Thanks for jogging my memory!
    Jacwhite22 wrote: »

Thanks! I drink a protein shake around lunchtime usually. I've thought about drinking another smaller one later in the day, but I've been hesitant to do it. I guess a part of me doesn't want to have to rely so much on the powder, but I may have to..

I guess what I am really saying is instead of trying to make some dessert into a healthy/high protein option which tastes like crap, just have a small scoop of ice cream. If you haven't hit your macros, also have a veggie burger.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I want to ask this without hijacking, but what protein powder do you use that tastes good with ice cream? Mine is vileness disguised as chocolate. Vileness that I drink to get closer to my macro.

And for high protein desserts--all I can think of is cheesecake, or greek frozen yogurt. The cheesecake of course requires more calorie budgeting.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    Here is just one recipe (well, the ingredients anyway). Check the macros. They're pretty simple to make, and it's several servings. So . . . . cookies . . . . yeah . . . cookies for days . . . .

Ingredients:

2 cups almond meal or pecan meal (ground nuts)
    1/4 cup coconut oil, softened (non-vegans can use butter)
    3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    A nurse friend of mine substitutes her ice cream with frozen greek yogurt. She gets the fruit on the bottom kind, stirs it up, puts it in the freezer for a couple of hours and says it's just like ice cream. I have yet to try it, but it sounds good.

What about making a smoothie and adding protein powder in it? That's what I usually do. I do 3/4 cup 1% milk, 1/2 c. ff plain greek yogurt, 1/2 Tbs honey, 1 scoop protein powder and 1/2 - 1 cup frozen fruit. Blend the milk, honey, yogurt and protein powder first until well blended then add the fruit. I find it to be very satisfying.
  • BABetter1
    Options
    It's cool. I get it. It's all about the greek yogurt. But, when you get tired of that . . . . cookies . . .
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    I want to ask this without hijacking, but what protein powder do you use that tastes good with ice cream? Mine is vileness disguised as chocolate. Vileness that I drink to get closer to my macro.

And for high protein desserts--all I can think of is cheesecake, or greek frozen yogurt. The cheesecake of course requires more calorie budgeting.

none. that's the point.....Drink your protein to hit your macros and then just enjoy a little scoop of real ice cream.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Do you like milkshakes? Ice cream, milk and protein powder...and maybe blend an oreo cookie in there, just for good measure.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Protein fluff
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    These are great suggestions! Thanks!

Something about freezing Greek yogurt really throws me off, but I have eaten the stuff that you buy frozen. I'll have to check out the nutrition on that.

@bgorum How comparable are those cookies to regular chocolate chip cookies? I guess what I'm really asking is do they taste like a health food cookie, if ya know what I mean?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    Options
    @Kamikazeflutterby I use Isopure unflavored whey protein, and when I mix it with milk and instant breakfast (a chocolate milk powder) you wouldn't know it's there. I've tried a milkshake with it before, but @Jacwhite22 is right.. there's no sense tainting perfectly delicious ice cream. I couldn't taste the powder, but it didn't blend well.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    They have a Dannon lite and fit greek for 80 cals with chocolate syrup on the top. It is really good, but seems to be popular and hard to find.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. I like mixing PB2, cocoa powder, peaches and mint, or sugar free jello mix in mine and then freezing it for 20-30 minutes.
  • klopatowski
    klopatowski Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to check out @questnutrition for amazing high protein treats using the variety of flavors of Quest. With 20 grams of protein in each serving, even your brownies will be treating your body right!
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    For me:
    • Greek yoghurt with berries and my home made granola (or mixed seeds when I'm out)
    • Protein Pancakes with greek yoghurt and nuts or maple syrup (MyProtein do a zero calorie vegan butterscotch syrup). For the protein pancakes I mix SunWarrior Vanilla protein powder, an egg and a banana, add coconut oil (or butter) to the pan and they work a treat! Just don't flip them too soon.
    • My homemade granola with fruit (or again mixed seeds)
    • I stick a protein bar into the microwave for about 20-40 seconds, the MyProtein My Bar Zero, Chocolate Flavour taste a bit like brownies
    • Quinoa balls! Blend quinoa, dates and nuts together and roll into balls. I sometimes cover these in coconut flakes, smashed nuts or cocoa powder depending on how hungry I am!
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Oh and I recently made a cheese cake with oats and nuts as the base and cream cheese mixed with fruit on top. I hadn't thought of it at the time...was over Christmas so I didn't check the calories but it definitely would have been high in protein!
  • rigden1992c
    rigden1992c Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One of my favourites is quark (which is basically pure protein) with a light Digestive biscuit (or Graham cracker if you're in the US!), it tastes as close to a cheesecake as you can get for the calories! Would be extra yum with melted chocolate on top :)

I actually made a cheesecake using a mixture of 0% fat greek yoghurt and quark this weekend - was pretty fine for 189 calories for 1/6th of the whole thing :D