Being impatient wanting to lose weight faster

Options
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a steady weight loss of a pound or two a week and then boom! A month in the weight just starts falling off a few pounds or more a week. I'm on day 17 of calories in calories out and am looking for a little motivation to either keep doing
Things how I have been or step up my exercise to see better results. Thanks! :)

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    The word "steady" is a bit misleading Weight loss is not linear. I sometimes go two weeks without losing a pound (or even gaining) and then BAM! in week 3 I'll drop 4 lbs.

Over the past 26 weeks, I've averaged 1.8 lbs per week. But I did not lose 1.8 lbs every week of those 26 weeks.
  • kaylo0630
    kaylo0630 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago when I had started working out and watching what I was eating, I didn't start losing a single pound until after 4 weeks! Then I finally started noticing a difference.
  • davoiscool
    davoiscool Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Weight can be deceptive in terms of progress. For example, if you don't have too much to lose, and exercise a lot, especially weight training, you may even gain a little bit of weight. Use other measurements as well, such as measuring your body.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    nessssa36 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced a steady weight loss of a pound or two a week and then boom! A month in the weight just starts falling off a few pounds or more a week. I'm on day 17 of calories in calories out and am looking for a little motivation to either keep doing
    Things how I have been or step up my exercise to see better results. Thanks! :)

If you want to lose more weight, you have to create a larger calorie deficit. 1-2lbs a week is very good process, you should just keep at it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Stepping up exercise is always good, but don't expect your weight loss to be linear. It's the overall downward trend that counts. Here's me since June 26:

2740031b08a27107429a8fee31fbe72b.png

I consistently spike up at ovulation and prior to my period starting.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I would rethink the "being impatient" part. You may find that by rushing you're setting yourself up for failure.

Eat at a reasonable deficit. Relax. It takes time, but you want the weight loss to last, right?
  • nessssa36
    nessssa36 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've read great things, you guys are really helpful. I do want this to last forever and it's more of a lifestyle change for me. So I get it, patience, calorie deficit, and working out is even better. I guess I do need to remind myself that some weeks I might gain not lose but not to be discouraged.
    It's just I have 100 pounds to lose so it's just a little frustrating not seeing change fast.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I've read great things, you guys are really helpful. I do want this to last forever and it's more of a lifestyle change for me. So I get it, patience, calorie deficit, and working out is even better. I guess I do need to remind myself that some weeks I might gain not lose but not to be discouraged.
    It's just I have 100 pounds to lose so it's just a little frustrating not seeing change fast.

The idea behind "slow & steady wins the race" is that you can enjoy all the foods you love while losing. You don't suddenly impose big restrictions on yourself that can feel like penance. Who would want to keep that up? Go at a reasonable rate. You will see success.

• niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I hear ya.

This = me most days:

305d1uwrd1yz.jpg

Do measurements too, just in case you have weeks where the scale is stubborn.

I have 100 to go too.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    1-2 pounds per week IS quick weight loss. You don't want to go any faster. I mean, you may WANT to go faster, but in terms of doing it right...

If anything, I had more instances of not losing for a week or two and then suddenly losing 3-4, and then not losing again for a while. But it still all averaged to about 1.5 pounds a week.

Just keep going. You'll get there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

This time next year when you've lost 50 or more pounds you'll look back and say, "Wow, that was quick!" :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Doesn't our bodies like to play tricks on us? Mine does.. I think it fights tooth and nail to hold on to every singe piece of fat it can.. It just lays and waits and waits..

But for real, weight loss is a funny thing and it can be a bit frustrating and I think the more you need to loose in the beginning the results start quicker than those with a lot less to loose or even just a wee bit loose it takes longer..

Think about this way, the more you want something, the longer it takes to get it. The longer you stare at the clock does not make it happen any quicker or to your pace.. When you stop paying so much of your attention to it it will happen.

I actually put the scale up for 1 month (just one month) and it was the best thing I could have done. I think hiding the scale made me more diligent about the eating, allowed me to just focus on something different so that when my husband brought the scale back (from hiding it), I knew it was going to show less.. This process works for me.

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating that the process is slower than we would like. I try to remember that slow weight loss is much better than fast weight gain! Even if the scale is stalled, it is much better than stepping on and seeing gains every day. Sounds so sweet and nice but I will admit to saying a bad word this morning when I stepped on the scale.

I try to look at losing weight as part of my lifestyle. When I switch to maintenance, nothing is really going change other than buying clothes in a smaller size. I will still be counting calories every day. The only difference is that I will have a little more calories to work with.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Think about it like this. You didn't gain weight overnight, and you can't lose it overnight either. I lost nearly 100 lbs, it took over a year. If your expectations are too high, you will get frustrated and give up.
  • gfjay
    gfjay Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Over the last 5 weeks I've lost 30 pounds. Now, to be fair, I started at 530, so a large loss isn't a shock! I'm doing it under the care of my doctor, meet weekly with my dietician at the hospital, and track EVERY. SINGLE. THING. I eat into MFP. Even over the course of that 5 weeks, eating 2000-2500 calories a day, I've sometimes gone 2-3 days with gains and no loss. There was even a 10 day period where I didn't lose anything (so we moved my calories from 2500 to 2000).

Because of that I've had to teach myself to not set goals related to the number on the scale, but instead create goals for actions I can take. So I have goals to eat vegetables with every meal, or work out 3-4 days per week, etc. If you look at my results, you'd think it was great (which it is) and it was non-stop success over 5 weeks. The reality is there were many days of feeling like you have been. And I know that a year or two from now, when I am down 100-200 pounds, I'll look back and be glad I didn't let those rough days slow me down or cause me to make bad decisions.

You can do this!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

I've lost 45 lbs in the last year or so (have another 40 to go). I'm not setting any records for speed. On a weekly basis, it is very tedious & SLOW. But I've lost 45 lbs! In the long term, a week is nothing, a month is nothing. It sounds like you are enjoying good success from the sound of your original post... rejoice! :)
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Over the last 6 weeks I've lost 11.2 pounds. About half of that was the first week, and 2 pounds of that was this week. The rest came off at a more erratic, slower pace. I gained and lost the same pound for two weeks at one point. Just keep at it, I always try to remember that I didn't gain the weight in a few weeks, so I can't expect to take it off in a few weeks.
  • Andee2000
    Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I'm in a similar boat. I have a lot to lose, I'm being completely honest with my logging and exercising. I've been only doing this since January 5th. It's hard to read about others having a lot to lose like us and a lot of weight coming off quickly in the beginning. I'm very resolved to get this done so I am sticking to it. I even found myself saying out loud this morning after I weighed myself to "just stick with it."
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. I sometimes go two weeks without losing a pound (or even gaining) and then BAM! in week 3 I'll drop 4 lbs.

I needed to read this this morning. Thank you.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »
    I hear ya.

This = me most days:

305d1uwrd1yz.jpg

Do measurements too, just in case you have weeks where the scale is stubborn.

I have 100 to go too.

I love this.