Spartan race

Options
I am training for my first Spartan race. Has anyone else done this? I'm nervous and excited!

Replies

• Lutielu
    Lutielu Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'm extremely excited about it. lol and also a little scared. My dad and brother ran it last year but this year it's a family event, my mom and sisters are getting in on it too. Even our kids are running in the Spartan kids race. This will be my first spartan race and I've been training for a little over a month now.
  • Iggy585
    Iggy585 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first one as well. I really want to do this
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,158 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it!
  • dleivis87
    dleivis87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've
  • dleivis87
    dleivis87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have done two. A sprint and a super. Haven't done a beast yet. Which one are u doing ?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have run a bunch of Spartans! Feel free to friend or PM me :)

Best of luck!
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing my first Spartan in June.
  • Version_Two_Point_Zero
    Options
    I've signed up for my first Spartan Sprint and the London Olympic Park in April 2016.

I've also signed up for my first Tough Mudder in September 2016
  • biggins8301
    biggins8301 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow OCR warriors!!! I'm new to mfp.. But needed to try something. Having a hard time dropping weight for the season. Tips??
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    @biggins8301 - nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. All day, every day. It doesn't matter how hard I train, if my diet isn't in check the scale won't go down.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I ran a beast last year, going for at least one trifecta this year, and a tough mudder in Apr.
  • Lutielu
    Lutielu Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    PeiDub wrote: »
    I'll be doing my first Spartan in June.

Mine is in June too, which one are you doing?
  • biggins8301
    biggins8301 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    @biggins8301 - nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. All day, every day. It doesn't matter how hard I train, if my diet isn't in check the scale won't go down.

Is there a plan you follow? Count macros?
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my 4th Sprint next month! Training is easy, burpees, push ups, pull ups, chest and arms. Also, running. I found my biggest weakness least year was the running between the obstacles.

Watch the videos on YouTube on how to do the things like the Inverted Wall, Rope Climb, Spear Chuck, etc. A lot of it is technique not strength. If it's possible, find a rope and practice the climb. That's one of the hardest for people because they think they will just pin their feet between the rope (it doesn't work, trust me). There's a certain way to do it and it takes some practice. Also there's instructions online to build a spear. I'd build one and practice the hell out of that one. It's a lot harder than it looks.

When you get to the high Walls, most likely someone will be there to boost you up. So don't worry about being able to scale a 10 foot wall by yourself. The rest of it is just about strength and endurance. Mind over matter. You will get muddy, wet, bruised and beat up. It's lot of fun. You will definitely want the free beer at the end! And you'll want to sign up for the next one ASAP!!

There are men and women obstacles. So most of the ones which are weight based will be lighter for women. (significantly in most cases).

Good luck, have fun. Look before you leap, It may be a race, but take your time and enjoy it!
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Signing up for my first sprint in June also.
    I need advise on which Wave to sign up for.
    I am No Elite Spartan But the Open sounds crowded. THe competitive wave sounds like a nice in-between plus points. Any insights?
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My daughter did the kids Spartan race last year...she had a blast!

gy757qfuak1b.jpg