Nutrisystem!! Does it work?

Options
Has anyone tried that? Did it work for you? I'm thinking about buying it but idk if it works.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Why pay for anything when weight loss is just calories in, calories out. Just eat what you enjoy in moderation.

Plus, it doesn't taste great. I used to grab some of the meals from an ex-boyfriend's mom.
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Essentially it is just providing you with a relatively easy/convenient way of having a calorie deficit, something you can achieve by yourself. Hey, if you've got the money AND are learning to eat the right way once you stop it, why not? Not for me.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It works in the sense that it helps you create a calorie deficit, which is necessary for weight loss. Using NutriSystem in and of itself is not necessary to lose weight, but some people find that the program appeals to them and works for their life. There are two groups here of people who are using NutriSystem, might be worthwhile to check those out and see what people are saying they like/dislike about it.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105493-nutrisystem-group-users

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105465-ns
  • zaynesmommy2015
    zaynesmommy2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible at "not eating so much" I try so hard to eat less but I'm always hungry! I don't know what to do here
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Anything that helps you eat less than you burn should work if your goal is to lose weight. I always wonder what the Nutrisystem foods taste like. For me, you can't beat freshly home-made foods, but then I like to shop and cook and some people don't. The biggest downside of a plan where you're eating someone else's food seems to me to be that at some point, you're going to stop buying them. If you haven't spent some time learning how to put together satisfying and healthy meals on your own, you're probably going to just go back to eating in whatever way made you put on weight to start with.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm horrible at "not eating so much" I try so hard to eat less but I'm always hungry! I don't know what to do here

Nutrisystem is just another way of "not eating so much," you're just paying them to determine what you can eat. If you think that kind of structure will be helpful for you, then Nutrisystem will work. But if hunger is an issue for you when reducing calories, it may still be an issue on Nutrisystem. And you will still have to figure out what you are going to eat to maintain your weight loss.

The benefit of choosing your own foods when losing weight is that when it comes time to maintain, you already know how to choose foods that fit into your calorie budget.
  • lynnstrick01
    lynnstrick01 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I considered nutri system a few years ago, looked at all the options, Nutri system, jenny craig, etc, what I found Is that it is basically pre packaged, pre calorie counted meals along with some support..At a Very High out of pocket cost $$$. You can do the same thing by going to the grocery store, purchasing "banquet" or "Smart Ones" single serving frozen meals with a pre calorie count and joining MFP for the support and keep your $$$$ in your pocket (some of these meals are less that $2 per meal.

I did this and lost over 35 lbs.. I ate 3 meals a day at an average of 300 calories per meal, some even included desert. Surprisingly they really aren't terrible tasting either. (of course not like home made, but not bad) The problem is this.. Are you going to KEEP eating pre counted, pre-packaged food? if not. you will just gain the weight right back once you start eating "normal" again (I gained every pound back and then some)

Instead of DIETING make life changes that you can keep throughout your life.. the weight may come off a little slower but the changes are more likely to be permanent.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat real food and account for the calories. I've heard the food is disgusting, and from what I see it's mostly pasta. Pasta is cheap, why pay so much for a program with pasta.
  • FitKat123
    FitKat123 Posts: 71 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've known a couple people who have used the system and have gained the weight back. I tried one of the meals, and it was really bad. It is my opinion that they just didn't learn about making good food choices. Eating pre-made meals doesn't force you to think about and make decisions.
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It has definitely worked for me. I'm a horrible cook, so was eating packaged food anyway most of the time - and with costco & insurance discounts i'm not paying more for food now than I was when I was eating on my own. I did 3 months of JUST the Nutrisystem food - the frozen is almost all quite good, the shelf stable is pretty hit or miss for me.

Now i'm trying to learn to cook too - slowly adding in food that i've prepared to supplement the NS food. I'm ordering 4 weeks worth of food every 6 weeks and trying to do "regular" food the rest of the time. I'm hoping that by mid-summer I can transition off of the NS food entirely, or at least mostly, and prepare regular grocery store food for myself.

That said, they're right that it's just CICO at the end of the day - if you get insurance discounts etc it's not too pricey. If you don't it can get expensive fast, and you might be just as well off to buy frozen food at the grocery. It's worth investigating - I get a discount off the price for having my insurance, and then my work gives me a discount on my insurance premium as part of their "wellness initiative".
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I've replied to these posts before with this: my best friend tried NutriSystem and couldn't stomach the food. She offered the food to her dog, who sniffed it and walked away. 'Nuff said for me.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You can just stock up on a bunch of Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine frozen dinners, eat those for every meal, and spend a fraction of what you would on Nutrisystem.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can just stock up on a bunch of Smart Ones or Lean Cuisine frozen dinners, eat those for every meal, and spend a fraction of what you would on Nutrisystem.

I agree with this. I know from your other thread, your time is limited and you don't really do much cooking. If you want to resort to precooked meals, I'd recommend the above as well.

• Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Husband tried it. Their food is gross, comes in ittybitty portions and has huge long ingredient lists.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I know from your other thread, your time is limited and you don't really do much cooking. If you want to resort to precooked meals, I'd recommend the above as well.

Yeah they're like, $1-$1.50 on sale, and some of them aren't bad. And if they are bad, just add hot sauce!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

This is the same thing we all need to practice.

NutriSystem can take this work away. But when you get to maintenance you will still need to practice some restraint anyway. Why not practice the restraint now, and learn how to be less hungry.

Smart Ones, Healthy Choice, Lean Cusine..... and a few others are a good place to start. Protein, fat and fiber are all filling....but the combination is a little different for everyone. Look for higher protein counts, and add more veggies (fiber) to small portions.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It tastes terrible and I had stomach issues with it. Whole foods make me feel good and they taste better.

I tried Nutrisystem because I hate prep work. It was a terrible waste of money.

Now I cook everything. It's taken me a while to find recipes that don't land me in the kitchen for hours and hours. I use a pressure cooker for making perfect hard boiled eggs, Whole30 compliant chicken soup and beef stew with little effort involved.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Just take the time to meal prep on your own. You will save yourself a lot of money.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    It works because you'll be in a deficit. It takes the weighing/measuring part out for you, making it easy and convenient. I was on it and had a lot of success but couldn't afford it anymore. I thought most of the food was really good, but do yourself a favor and order a few things 'a la carte' before committing. Otherwise you could be stuck with a lot of food that you don't like.

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everybody said. For my own personal experience, I started nutrisystem from QVC. I would suggest if you want to try it, that is the way to go because you have 30 days to try to program and see if it works for you. If you dont like it, you can get a refund. I started out with the shelf stable food and I actually liked it and I do know how to cook and I rarely eat prepacked food before the program.
    I did eventually move up to the frozen foods and it made a world of difference. I have lost over 70 lbs. Could I have done it without NS? Sure, but obviously I did not have to tools to do so or I would have. It is my goal to move away from entirely eating nutrisystem this year, but honestly, I like some of the food so much that I will still order it anyway.
    If you have no structure, I would say try to program and see if if works for you. At the very least, you will have a starting place to lose weight on your own. Whatever you decide, good luck to you.