Young Working Women (career, not corner)

Options

Replies

• charc16
    charc16 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yay! This was exactly what I was looking for :) My name is Keshia and I've been out of school for 2 years now. Right after undergrad, I moved to Louisiana to teach. Though I adore the South, I fell in love with the food a bit too much! In about a month, I'm starting a new chapter of my life on the East coast. I would LOVE some accountability while on this mission to a healthier lifestyle. I'm totally in for challenges and encouragement!

feel free to friend me :)

I grew up on the East Coast (Connecticut). Where are you living? I guess you will have some healthier options there as opposed to the South...lots of seafood!
  • charc16
    Options
    Alright ladies- tell me what you think about this as far as "weigh-ins" go.
    I'm thinking at the beginning of each week (starting Monday the 20th), I will post a new workout challenge for us all to accomplish (or at least try) together! As well as a healthy food challenge!
    Then, we will weigh-in (such a nasty word, someone come up with something else) every TWO, that's right TWO weeks. I am tired of weighing in every week and seeing a small loss. Plus, I am not really a firm believer in the scale anyway, and never used it so much until I joined MFP. I think 2 weeks is enough time to recover from a week of slip-ups, and still see a change!

Thoughts?!

This sounds good to me! And I love the every two week weigh-in idea (sorry, can't think of a better term).

Hope everyone is having a good day and not working TOO hard :)
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    Cristina I'm good with that plan!

And I'm Laura, username makes it pretty obvious I guess :smile: and I actually live in the south now, I'm in Charlotte, NC. Yes the food can be tempting, but I moved here from Philly, the land of cheesesteaks, crab fries, soft pretzels and cream cheese, so food temptation is nothing new for me!

As far as body....I honestly haven't really thought about it....someone with a nice big butt, toned but not stick thin thighs, flat belly and toned arms....i guess I might be stealing Beyonce?? sorry! I've already come to the realization my bottom half will always be a little more large and in charge than the top, so I've come to accept and embrace my booty and hips!
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Am I too late to join?

(Just in case I'm not... ;)

My name is Casey, I'm 24 years old, and I live in the land of perpetual rain, Bellingham WA. I graduated from WWU in 2009 with a degree in Spanish & Psych. I've been married to my high school sweetheart for almost 2 years! I don't have any kids, but I have two separate nanny families, for a total of 6 kids under the age of 4. That's what *I* do for 45+ hours a week... and why I don't currently have any of my own :)

When I started MFP in mid-Jan, I was at my highest weight (151) but I have a very small frame and was NOT carrying it well. I lost 16 lbs by mid-March when I decided to let it slide and take it easy. Now that summer is almost here, I'm back on the train and hoping to leave the last 10 lbs in the dust!

My ideal body? I'm gonna have to go with the early Britney Spears. Toned abs, arms and thighs, but athletic-looking and not stick-thin. I wouldn't mind looking like Adriana Lima or Giselle, either, but that's just not realistic. :)
  • KeshiaV
    KeshiaV Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I grew up on the East Coast (Connecticut). Where are you living? I guess you will have some healthier options there as opposed to the South...lots of seafood!
    [/quote]

I'm moving to Virginia in July and I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I am that the food won't be all fried! I've loved my time in the South and the chance to experience the food, but I'm absolutely ready for a new experience :)

Cristina, your plan sounds fantastic! I'm definitely on board.
  • twistyBee
    twistyBee Posts: 63
    Options
    This all sounds great! Thanks so much for organizing this!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

I'm moving to Virginia in July and I can't begin to tell you how thrilled I am that the food won't be all fried! I've loved my time in the South and the chance to experience the food, but I'm absolutely ready for a new experience :)

Cristina, your plan sounds fantastic! I'm definitely on board.

Where in VA are you moving? :smile:

Cristina - I think the plan sounds good! Just reminder posts of when to weigh in would be helpful, particularly since it is every two weeks. I weigh in for another group on Fridays, but a Monday weigh in could keep me from trashing my whole weekend haha.
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    Casey- you are not too late! (sending a friend request now)

Stephanie- I agree with Mondays. Plus, I'm oddly lightest on Mondays LOL

I forgot to tell you all what I do! I do Special Events for an amusement and water park. I work ohhhh 40-70 hours including most weekend. I also take about 1-2 shifts a month as park manager on a Friday night. It's a lot of hot weather, running around, lifting and pleasing people. I'm so tired that on the weekends, I've just accepted I won't work out unless I'm off. Plus, I walk so much at work that it counts as a workout! During the week, I work, come home and eat a snack, workout then cook supper and I'm in bed by 10pm. WOOHOO I'm so exciting!!! Haha. I'd really like to get certified in some kind of fitness class and start writing a health column in some local publication. I love pizza, beer and mexican food. They are temptations I choose not to fight, but enjoy in moderation :) I dropped about 40 pounds when I was in college and ever since then, nutrition and fitness have become my passion! That's me in a nutshell!
  • CaseyBee
    Options
    Cristina, that sounds like fun! Have you ever had any weddings or other really unusual water park events? Also, those are my three food vices as well. Mmmm, mexican. :)

Mondays are good for me, as well! I'm still thinking about a positive, motivational new way to say "weigh in." My usual scale (at work) has gone MIA, so I might miss this coming weigh-in unless I can get my hands on another.

What is everyone's favorite way to work out? At home? In the gym?

I worked at the Rec Center in college almost 20 hours a week, so by the time I graduated, I was happy not to see another treadmill or elliptical again for a long time. (Most of what I did was cleaning the machines. Dirty, sweaty nastiness.)
    I really enjoy doing Zumba for the Wii at least 6 mornings a week, and Laura and I just started doing the C25K program together. I've only done one "run" so far, but I really like running the trail around a lake by my apartment.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I'll be your friend!! 8-4 job, 23 just out of college (well a year now boo), no kids, one cat, one childish boyfriend who doesn't live with me yet and about 15 more lbs to lose :)
  • AmberM6912
    AmberM6912 Posts: 79
    Options
    I would love to join this group if it is not too late!

I am 26 and live in Georgia. I have been out of school and working for about 3 years now as well and I have about 15lbs to lose. I have a no kids and a dog (which might as well be a child!) and a very supportive boyfriend. He is very supportive but it would be nice to have some other females to share the things we as women go through when trying to lose weight and get in shape (TOM, cravings, water retaining, crabbiness, etc)

I work as a chemist in a lab so most days I'm at least standing up but there are days that I have reports to do that I sit at a desk in front of a computer ALL day. I work with a trainer (for now, I got a special deal on 20 visits) 2 times a week and do kickboxing (thank you Groupon) 1-2 times a week. the I also try to get an individual cardio session in 2 times a week.

Anyway, hopefully I'm not too late. Feel free to add me!
  • osucristina
    Options
    It's not too late for you last 2! If you would, please give us your names- and your fav celebrity body!

I think I'll make the cut off on Monday- for our first weigh-in. Althought.. I'm not sure how to close a group? Technology, meh.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Room for 1 more?

I'm 25 and I have an MBA - currently in San Antonio but looking to go anywhere that's not my current job. The pounds have crept on since college/grad school. I would love a group of girls with similar ages and lifestyles!

Celebrity body? Well, hmmm.... I have to say maybe Kim Kardahian because she always looks great but she has boobs, and a butt, and hips like me. I think that's a realistic idea for me....

My name is Katie!
  • AmberM6912
    AmberM6912 Posts: 79
    Options
    It's not too late for you last 2! If you would, please give us your names- and your fav celebrity body!

My name is Amber! For a celebrity body? hmm... someone said Britney Spears, and I don't want to steal that, but I love how toned and in shape she is without being overly skinny.
  • CaseyBee
    Options

My name is Amber! For a celebrity body? hmm... someone said Britney Spears, and I don't want to steal that, but I love how toned and in shape she is without being overly skinny.

I'll share. Fellow Britneybodybuddies are always welcome. :)
  • charc16
    Options
    So I'm assuming our first weigh-in will be on Monday? Are you doing measurements as well?

If we're sharing jobs, I work at the international headquarters of a non-profit organization (sounds fancy, huh?). Not as cool as it sounds. I work with four other "older" ladies. And by older, I mean I am 26 years younger than the next youngest person here. Sooo basically I sit in my office all day and try to motivate myself to work and to avoid snacking.

As for workouts, I have been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred in the mornings before work and going to the gym after work, usually for around 30-45 minutes of cardio, depending on the number of episodes of The Office I want to watch on my phone that day. I have a serious love/hate relationship with the 30 Day Shred. Jillian might be the worst person alive, but it is a good workout. In fact, I made my boyfriend try some of the moves last night and he sent me an email this morning about how sore he is. Our 1 year anniversary is on Wednesday, which is also Day 30 of the Shred. I'm not sure which I am more excited about (don't tell).

Anyways, I should stop typing right now. See? It's the work avoidance thing. Hope everyone has a great day!
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! I knew there had to be people like me! Not to say I don't enjoy my other support groups, but i just didn't have anything in common with them other than losing weight.

I will not hold having pets against any of you! LOL. I love dogs, and tried one out for like 2 weeks. Yeah, I can't really handle having to take of anything or anyone but myself. Luckily, he was a foster dog, so I was able to give him back.

I'm thinking of check-ins, tips, recipes, new ideas and weekly challenges and really anything else you want to talk about.

Also- I don't believe in cutting out beer. At all, so don't feel bad!

HI! Im 29, have a masters degree and work full time. 2 cats. Not trying to really lose weight, I want to get strong and buff now lol. AND I LOVE BEER AND WILL NOT GIVE IT UP!! Ok. I like this group. I love to cook healthy alternatives to fattening food. And Im always looking for new recipes!!! Motivate me to get off my *kitten* and really become fit!!
  • katt742
    Options
    So I'm assuming our first weigh-in will be on Monday? Are you doing measurements as well?

If we're sharing jobs, I work at the international headquarters of a non-profit organization (sounds fancy, huh?). Not as cool as it sounds. I work with four other "older" ladies. And by older, I mean I am 26 years younger than the next youngest person here. Sooo basically I sit in my office all day and try to motivate myself to work and to avoid snacking.

As for workouts, I have been doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred in the mornings before work and going to the gym after work, usually for around 30-45 minutes of cardio, depending on the number of episodes of The Office I want to watch on my phone that day. I have a serious love/hate relationship with the 30 Day Shred. Jillian might be the worst person alive, but it is a good workout. In fact, I made my boyfriend try some of the moves last night and he sent me an email this morning about how sore he is. Our 1 year anniversary is on Wednesday, which is also Day 30 of the Shred. I'm not sure which I am more excited about (don't tell).

Anyways, I should stop typing right now. See? It's the work avoidance thing. Hope everyone has a great day!

hahahaha...im always on here while Im at work avoiding things lol.

Im currently doing Cathe Fredriech's Slow and Heavy weights workout. I do cardio (ick) when I have to...I hate it. I try and jog 1-3 miles a day. Well Monday-Friday. Saturdays and Sundays I dont workout....I have to have a life!! lol
  • osucristina
    Options
    Weigh-In will be Monday, yes! I am actually going to close this group on Friday and start a new group with the same title but (closed group) added to the end. I will make that Friday morning, so keep a lookout on Friday and stop in to say hi so we are all back again. I'd love to leave this group open ended but geez- I mean, it could end up being a second job lol.

Measurements... let's check in with that once a month.

For workouts, I am sticking to cardio because my trainer said I need to amp it up if I want to drop JUST body fat. Did I mention I HATE CARDIO? No. Well I do. I run a little in the am, and alternate a longer cardio on m/w/f in the evenings and shorter interval cardio t/th evenings. I like to all things however, like riding my bike and taking classes. I really want to try hot yoga and get some rollerblades!
  • katt742
    Options
    Am I too late? Oops...I should have read all the posts before I butted in...sorry!