Hit the dreaded plateau yet again.

Options
2»

Replies

• freespirit427
    freespirit427 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Again, you'd get better advice if you opened your diary. [/quote]

I don't understand what opening my diary means?
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You can make your diary open for the public to see, so people can see exactly what you're eating
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What confuses me here (MFP in general) is the mix of advice about this. I was once at a plateau for about 6-8 weeks. I was working out, on my feet for miles a day at a restaurant, and eating about 1200-1400 a day. People on another forum told me to eat more. I increased my calories to 1600 a day and lost that week. I'm not trying to tell OP to eat more. I am certainly not qualified to do so... but on this forum, and even in this post. You hear "try eating more!" and "you must be eating too much" at the same time. I'm getting close to a stall weight too, OP, and I know how annoying it is. I ALWAYS get stuck at 170. It's happened numerous times and only once did I break past it. I made sure I was eating well and started doing tougher workout videos. Then in the high 160s I got stuck again and was told to eat more... then I lost again.

It's just all so confusing to us that don't know what to listen to. I suppose all we can do, OP, is take each advice one week at a time and see what works for us.

Usually when people think they lost weight because they ate more, it's because they payed more careful attention to what they were eating. People are afraid of eating more, so if they decide to up their calories, they'll generally log more accurately. Plus eating more can cut back on people going nuts on "cheat days" and such, because they're hungry as all hell from eating so little. Another factor can be that people may have more energy and increase their activity on more calories.

• bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Click on food (on the top bar) and then settings under that category and then at the bottom of that page you can change this setting from private to friends only or public, so everyone here can look at it and offer advice.

Thank you @I_Will_End_You :) Appreciate that post. It helps explain things more.
  • freespirit427
    Options
    Okay. I made it public. Hopefully it works. Yes, great idea! Thanks! Will that also show my weight graph? I can take a screen shot of it too.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you aren't willing to use a food scale to check and see if you're entries have been accurate, I would suggest you just cut out a few snack items each day. You seem to eat a lot of the same foods over and over again. Look at your diary, and pick a couple that you feel aren't "worth it". Because bottom line, you're eating at maintenance. You may log 1400 calories everyday, but it doesn't mean that's what you're eating.
  • freespirit427
    Options
    Very good point. I will try this out! Thank you, very helpful!
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What confuses me here (MFP in general) is the mix of advice about this. I was once at a plateau for about 6-8 weeks. I was working out, on my feet for miles a day at a restaurant, and eating about 1200-1400 a day. People on another forum told me to eat more. I increased my calories to 1600 a day and lost that week. I'm not trying to tell OP to eat more. I am certainly not qualified to do so... but on this forum, and even in this post. You hear "try eating more!" and "you must be eating too much" at the same time. I'm getting close to a stall weight too, OP, and I know how annoying it is. I ALWAYS get stuck at 170. It's happened numerous times and only once did I break past it. I made sure I was eating well and started doing tougher workout videos. Then in the high 160s I got stuck again and was told to eat more... then I lost again.

It's just all so confusing to us that don't know what to listen to. I suppose all we can do, OP, is take each advice one week at a time and see what works for us.

Do you not recalculate your intake as you lose weight? Then smaller you are the less you need to eat.
  • HutchA12
    Options
    Okay. I made it public. Hopefully it works. Yes, great idea! Thanks! Will that also show my weight graph? I can take a screen shot of it too.

Yeah, looking at it a scale can help. I see protein shakes. If you are using the scoop they can over scoop by up to 10 or 1/3 of a serving if is overly packed down. Also there is a chance you are using more creamer than you think. Fruits can also vary wildly by weight changing the cals. Do you only drink water other than a morning coffie?
  • freespirit427
    Options
    I am unsure how to properly recalculate my cals based upon my weight loss. Besides coffee, just water.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    MFP will ask you if you want to adjust your calorie intake after every 10 pounds lost.
  • HutchA12
    Options
    I am unsure how to properly recalculate my cals based upon my weight loss. Besides coffee, just water.

Just be sure to keep you weight accurately updated in the app and it should adjust it for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    HutchA12 wrote: »

Just be sure to keep you weight accurately updated in the app and it should adjust it for you.

No, it doesn't. You have to do it.

OP, you're definitely eating more than you think... how do you measure your creamer? It can add up very fast. Do you weigh your protein powder? Often a scoop is way more than what the package says.

And I'd weigh your fruit. And your tilapia filets. Basically, I'd weigh everything, because something isn't adding up (did you weigh every ingredient for your peanut butter balls too?).
  • Ciera247Zumba
    Ciera247Zumba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Since everyone has focused on providing great advice on the dietary side, I would suggest looking into adding new exercise types to your routine. If High-Intensity-Interval-Training (HIIT) seems like something within your abilities (things can always be modified for safety), it stimulates the metabolism and creates an "after-burn" as muscles try to recuperate after the short bursts of high intensity.
    HIIT can be more cardio or more strength based and is recommended to do 1 or 2 times weekly. The body can grow accustomed to the same types of activities and sometimes upping weights on heavy lifting still won't push you past the plateau. That's where HIIT comes in, that you can "push past your comfort zone" and work super hard in that time frame for big results. A great website I use for workouts is called Fitness Blender.
    Don't stay discouraged and be patient with yourself.
    Best of luck in your journey!
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    sexyCiera wrote: »
    Since everyone has focused on providing great advice on the dietary side, I would suggest looking into adding new exercise types to your routine. If High-Intensity-Interval-Training (HIIT) seems like something within your abilities (things can always be modified for safety), it stimulates the metabolism and creates an "after-burn" as muscles try to recuperate after the short bursts of high intensity.
    HIIT can be more cardio or more strength based and is recommended to do 1 or 2 times weekly. The body can grow accustomed to the same types of activities and sometimes upping weights on heavy lifting still won't push you past the plateau. That's where HIIT comes in, that you can "push past your comfort zone" and work super hard in that time frame for big results. A great website I use for workouts is called Fitness Blender.
    Don't stay discouraged and be patient with yourself.
    Best of luck in your journey!

I think that's a great point about being in your comfort zone. I find myself stuck there... at times not wanting to lift heavier since what I'm doing is "hard" enough.

Also the point about not logging accurately the fewer calories your allotted - I never actually thought of that. Great point!

As everyone will say weight-loss is not linear, but if you're eating at a deficit you will trend downwards. Don't get discouraged, this is all just part of the journey.
  • HutchA12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    HutchA12 wrote: »

No, it doesn't. You have to do it.

OP, you're definitely eating more than you think... how do you measure your creamer? It can add up very fast. Do you weigh your protein powder? Often a scoop is way more than what the package says.

And I'd weigh your fruit. And your tilapia filets. Basically, I'd weigh everything, because something isn't adding up (did you weigh every ingredient for your peanut butter balls too?).

I enter mine in through the goal page which does sry i didn't specify. Di you mean it doesn't through the regular diary? OK thanks. Maybe in the future you could be more clear with details.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I meant that your goal doesn't automatically change when you enter your new weight (to reply to someone else who said it did).
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

Usually when people think they lost weight because they ate more, it's because they payed more careful attention to what they were eating. People are afraid of eating more, so if they decide to up their calories, they'll generally log more accurately. Plus eating more can cut back on people going nuts on "cheat days" and such, because they're hungry as all hell from eating so little. Another factor can be that people may have more energy and increase their activity on more calories.

This is awesome and should be repeated everywhere until we're all sick of hearing it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Quit the cardio and start pumping iron. Gotta build muscle to burn fat.