52 and 2/1/2 weeks in and only lost 1lb

Options
I started Jan. 4. Gave up diet coke, eating 1200-1400 calories a day, fruits, veggies proteins and a few low carbs. I started exercising this week 30 mins in the morning to Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and weighed in and only have lost 1 lb. Has anyone out there ever had such a slow start. Usually you drop a lot the first week or so but that didn't happen to me. I am drinking a ton of water too. Any support would be great.

Replies

• mirandadeakin
    mirandadeakin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you tried tracking your sodium intake? You are doing great! You will see a difference adding exercise! Keep going!!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    When you start exercising your muscles can hold on to water to help them recover.

Stick with it a few more weeks and if you still haven't lost any more then you are probably eating more than you think.
  • jeskridge
    jeskridge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have not done that yet. I am sure it went down significantly giving up the diet coke. I really don't have too much. I make egg whites with a wholewheat tortilla for breakfast, salad, light dressing and bullion for lunch and chicken and veges and maybe some rice for dinner and an apple for snack. I try to keep it simple. If anything I am getting healthier.
  • erinraden
    erinraden Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you overestimated your activity level?
  • erinraden
    erinraden Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Also, I had a lot of bloating at first that was discouraging
  • yazmizzie8
    yazmizzie8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope!! You're off to a great start, it's better than consuming and not doing any exercise at all!!
  • AmbersWay
    AmbersWay Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My body is hard on me too. I lose nicely for a week and plateau for 3 weeks. Just keep doing. You will feel better. Don't stress the numbers.
  • Saraa000
    Saraa000 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how much you have to lose. If it's not a lot of weight it's going to take you longer. I lose half a pound one week or sometimes nothing and drop 3 pounds the next week. Everyone's body is different keep doing what you are doing.
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    First of all: you can do it!!! :)

I just started on Jan 2nd, and I was so mad I only lost .5 pounds my first week. Then I took my measurements and in that week I lost an inch on my hips and waist. So definitely take measurements! As others have said, when we first start working out sometimes the scales don't show a difference. Muscles retain water and all that. If you are getting smaller, then you know you're making some progress.
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Once I maintained for four weeks in a row even though I was doing everything right and then the next week I dropped three pounds. Sometimes it takes a little while to get momentum going. That's why I don't live or die by the scale anymore. I'm trying to go by how I feel, and if exercising is getting easier, ect. A lot of people go by measurements.
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Also, if you are exercising and building muscle - muscle weighs more than fat. So you may be transforming your body in terms of body fat %, and still be hovering in the same weight area for now.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Stay the course
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    jeskridge wrote: »
    I started Jan. 4. Gave up diet coke, eating 1200-1400 calories a day, fruits, veggies proteins and a few low carbs. I started exercising this week 30 mins in the morning to Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and weighed in and only have lost 1 lb. Has anyone out there ever had such a slow start. Usually you drop a lot the first week or so but that didn't happen to me. I am drinking a ton of water too. Any support would be great.

Are you using a food scale? I'm thinking you're probably not weighing/measuring/logging correctly

• skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    helaurin wrote: »
    Also, if you are exercising and building muscle - muscle weighs more than fat. So you may be transforming your body in terms of body fat %, and still be hovering in the same weight area for now.

Unfortunately, no. If she is in a calorie deficit she will not be building any noticeable amount of muscle. Especially not in just a couple weeks.

Chances are your weight loss is being masked by water weight which is typical at the beginning of a new workout regimen. If you aren't already weighing and logging EVERYTHING you eat, you should start.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options

A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same. Muscle is leaner, but it's doubtful you've built that much muscle in 2 1/2 weeks.

Many other factors play into this; how much you have to lose, if you are eating back exercise calories, if you are weighing your food.

I would invest in a good food scale (you can get one for around $20) and make sure you weight everything you eat so you are logging accurately. Good luck!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, no. If she is in a calorie deficit she will not be building any noticeable amount of muscle. Especially not in just a couple weeks.

Chances are your weight loss is being masked by water weight which is typical at the beginning of a new workout regimen. If you aren't already weighing and logging EVERYTHING you eat, you should start.

+1
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You mention having bullion for lunch (daily?). If so, that's probably an issue. It's pretty much pure sodium, unless you get the no sodium type. Also, you should weight your food on a food scale. Eyeballing things never works well, and anything listed on a package label is really based on weight, not cups or spoons.
  • jeskridge
    jeskridge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions and support. First time ever using a message board. I really didn't think anyone would respond. This is terrific. I will start using the scale and checking the sodium and staying the course.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hi, are you logging in your diary? I'd advise doing that for starters. Definitely use a scale - you'll be surprised at what quantities actually look like, especially things like rice.
  • Dlann
    Dlann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 52. I started last January 2.. Keep doing what you are doing.. Trudge on. It will work. I lost 25 lbs and 3-4 clothes sizes.. Weight wasn't gained in a few weeks the best weight loss is slowly taking it off!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!