Ontario Officials Rule Veganism is a Human Right Legally Protected from Discrimination

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    this will not end well

This policy or this thread?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    this will not end well

I agree... it will all end when the earth is swallowed by the fiery ball that is the sun, which will one day engulf our entire planet. That's not well at all. Or maybe... well done? ;)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have pulled the vegan card during pig dissection. Good for the people who will benefit from it.
  • forwardmoving
    forwardmoving Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous to be honest. If they're going to grant that to vegetarians then grant it to anyone who chooses to eat a certain diet regardless of whether or not it's a 'religious' belief. Seriously, when will the new laws "protecting" people end?

I think they should pass a law that "protects" those people who are gluten free and force schools and other places to offer gluten free meals and to cook in a gluten free manner for those who have a gluten intolerance. Maybe I should throw a temper tantrum the next time I'm out and get a law passed.

What this new policy recognizes is that veganism isn't a diet. It's an ethical position on animal exploitation. It happens to be very easy to notice when observing an individual's diet, but let's not over-simplify.

It's a decision made on a specific belief (i.e. it's wrong to exploit animals).
    But then, do we not need to respect other beliefs without getting into a debating whether or not the belief is true? Are hospitals and other institutions obligated to provide Kosher or Halal food to those who hold a different set of beliefs whether or not we think the restrictions are necessary?
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    I think it's ridiculous to be honest. If they're going to grant that to vegetarians then grant it to anyone who chooses to eat a certain diet regardless of whether or not it's a 'religious' belief. Seriously, when will the new laws "protecting" people end?

I think they should pass a law that "protects" those people who are gluten free and force schools and other places to offer gluten free meals and to cook in a gluten free manner for those who have a gluten intolerance. Maybe I should throw a temper tantrum the next time I'm out and get a law passed.

What this new policy recognizes is that veganism isn't a diet. It's an ethical position on animal exploitation. It happens to be very easy to notice when observing an individual's diet, but let's not over-simplify.

But then, do we not need to respect other beliefs without getting into a debating whether or not the belief is true? Are hospitals and other institutions obligated to provide Kosher or Halal food to those who hold a different set of beliefs whether or not we think the restrictions are necessary?

Yes. They are.

I guess I do believe it is a good thing in some ways. But how many vegans are ethical vegans compared to those just dieting? How long do you have to be an ethical vegan before you are allowed special rights? And if it's considered to be religious how do you prove your veganism?what institutions are you a member of that show your ethical veganism to an outside source or governing body that gives you access to special privileges?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes. They are.

I guess I do believe it is a good thing in some ways. But how many vegans are ethical vegans compared to those just dieting? How long do you have to be an ethical vegan before you are allowed special rights? And if it's considered to be religious how do you prove your veganism?what institutions are you a member of that show your ethical veganism to an outside source or governing body that gives you access to special privileges?

One does not not have to prove they are an orthodox Jew to get a kosher meal. Why should this be any different?
  • DaddieCat
    Options

Yes. They are.

One does not not have to prove they are an orthodox Jew to get a kosher meal. Why should this be any different?

Entirely true. All of my kosher jewish friends are provided that respect out of courtesy and all they have to do is ask... and all but one of them do it nicely... the other is just an asshat, lol. I respect all of my friends beliefs and dietary needs provided they inform me, and don't mind doing it... most restaurants are the same and are happy to oblige. I can't imagine why anyone would get bent out of shape about it.

I've even talked to chefs at some of the restaurants to tell them that I appreciate their efforts and usually they tell me they don't mind at all, and actually enjoyed the "challenge" of creating something new or different than what they usually prepare (note: I never ask for something not on the menu... I usually ask if there are any vegan options and the waitress and the chef confer and offer me something, whether a variation of something on the menu, or some combination of already prepped ingredients in a unique dish... I would never be disrespectful of the chef because, having been one, I know how difficult it is to please those difficult customers. The macros are usually crap but I'm not going to fuss if I'm out with non-vegan friends and they go to a restaurant... I'm just going to go along and be social and do the best I can with what's available.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yes. They are.

Since the "special privilege" is mainly obtaining vegan meals, do you anticipate that many people would lie to get these meals?

I think "special rights" is kind of stretching it.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Silly silly silly!!! I sense a lot of more silly rulings coming from this......omg when's it going to end!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses but thought I'd chip in. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I think it's good that places like hospitals have to provide those types of meals. People should be able to eat nutritiously without going against their beliefs. Additionally, as someone who couldn't handle any dairy for a very long time without getting violently sick, I often looked to vegan meals to avoid dairy as in some restaurants and whatnot, they put dairy in almost everything. I live in a very health conscious city with a lot of vegetarians and vegans and most places have incorporated options into their menus because of the demand, and I think it's a good thing, even though 9 times out of 10 I will order a meat dish, I like to have vegetarian and vegan options sometimes, especially when I'm trying to eat cleaner.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    would there be an ethical dilemma if a hospital were treating someone with a nutrient deficiency?
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I'm not against vegans or vegetarians or this or that but it's a choice that they make and with choices come sacrifices and if that means you need to supply your own food then well that's apart of your choice to eat a certain way!! I choose not to eat certain foods but that doesn't mean I go into hospital or schools expecting them to adhere to my choices......it just means I go prepared!! My choice, my responsibility!!
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    I'm not against vegans or vegetarians or this or that but it's a choice that they make and with choices come sacrifices and if that means you need to supply your own food then well that's apart of your choice to eat a certain way!! I choose not to eat certain foods but that doesn't mean I go into hospital or schools expecting them to adhere to my choices......it just means I go prepared!! My choice, my responsibility!!

Let me see if I understand you. So... say I get hit by a car and put in hospital, or my luck, ICU, I'm single, and have no immediate family... am I supposed to supply my own food then? Just get up and run out to the local grocer?
  • summerkissed
    Options

Let me see if I understand you. So... say I get hit by a car and put in hospital, or my luck, ICU, I'm single, and have no immediate family... am I supposed to supply my own food then? Just get up and run out to the local grocer?

So I need to also have a list of things I don't eat and expect them to also feed me as I want? Or do I just accept that they are saving my life and not whine about it??
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

If it doesn't affect your health a hospital should not be "forced" to provide it.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    All of my kosher jewish friends are provided that respect out of courtesy and all they have to do is ask... and all but one of them do it nicely... the other is just an asshat, lol. I respect all of my friends beliefs and dietary needs provided they inform me, and don't mind doing it... most restaurants are the same and are happy to oblige. I can't imagine why anyone would get bent out of shape about it.

If they are truly kosher, I doubt any of them are provided with a meal consistent with their dietary restrictions - by you or by any non-specialized restaurant.

Keeping kosher is more than just not serving a meal with meat and milk. The plates on which the meal is served have to be entirely separate (and if they were ever used in a way that wasn't kosher they must be ritually cleansed). You need essentially two entirely separate sets of cooking and eating ware. (I'm not Jewish, so I apologize if my terminology is off - but I dated someone in college during the period in which his parents converted to a kosher kitchen - so I know that is is not something you can do in a restaurant setting or for friends on a whim.)

• summerkissed
    Options
    People need to get over themselves a little!! As a race we are becoming way way to "politically correct" we can't do this we can't do that! you have to do this you have to do that! Your way is wrong my way is right! My way is right your way is wrong! Sue for this sue for that! We won't be able to wipe out bums without a choice of toilet paper because some are greenies and choose only a certain type of toilet paper......OMG it's all going to far!!!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I understand and respect the ethical side of being a vegan. It's not only a diet so I think it's a good move. I have no issue.
  • summerkissed
    Options
    I work in a school canteen we are under so much pressure from so many religious, ethical and food allergy/intolerances groups of people......it really is beyond a joke! It sounds easy from an individual's point of view but from a school canteen or hospital there is so many rules and choices we have to provide to try and keep everyone happy.....it's really is getting very very hard!! Even down to a simple fruit salad that you might think hey that's going to please everyone....no we can't use kiwi fruit, melons, bananas, grapes, or lemon to stop discoloration just to name a few because those with allergies have the 'right' to be able to eat it as well....it really is hard!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    All of my kosher jewish friends are provided that respect out of courtesy and all they have to do is ask... and all but one of them do it nicely... the other is just an asshat, lol. I respect all of my friends beliefs and dietary needs provided they inform me, and don't mind doing it... most restaurants are the same and are happy to oblige. I can't imagine why anyone would get bent out of shape about it.

If they are truly kosher, I doubt any of them are provided with a meal consistent with their dietary restrictions - by you or by any non-specialized restaurant.

Keeping kosher is more than just not serving a meal with meat and milk. The plates on which the meal is served have to be entirely separate (and if they were ever used in a way that wasn't kosher they must be ritually cleansed). You need essentially two entirely separate sets of cooking and eating ware. (I'm not Jewish, so I apologize if my terminology is off - but I dated someone in college during the period in which his parents converted to a kosher kitchen - so I know that is is not something you can do in a restaurant setting or for friends on a whim.)

Not that difficult for a hospital. They get them pre packaged.